Comp.Object FAQ Version 1.0.6 (9-15) Part 7/9

Comp.Object FAQ Version 1.0.6 (9-15) Part 7/9

Post by Bob Hathawa » Sun, 18 Sep 1994 21:04:33

Archive-name: object-faq/part7
Last-Modified: 9/15/94
Version: 1.0.6

ObjectModeler
-------------
*Rumbaugh, Coad/Yourdon, Jacobson and Booch notation
*multiple, concurrent user
*generates SQL, C++, Smalltalk templates
*Macintosh, Unix ($1,495-5,995)
Iconix Software Engineering
2800 28th St.,  Suite 320
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(310) 458-0092

ObjecTool (was OOA/OODTool), Together/C++(new)
*Coad/Yourdon, Object-oriented analysis.  ObjectTool (Startup tool)
*Windows, OS/2, HP/Sun Unix.
*Together/C++ (Windows only) Code/Design integration.
Object International, Inc.
8140 N. MoPac Expwy
Austin, Tx  78759-6535
800-926-9306
(512) 795-0202
(512) 795-0332 (fax)

Objectory
---------
*Jacobson notation.
*Generates C++, CMM support.
*Windows, Unix, 4 configurations, $5000.00 - $10000.00 (USD)
Objective Systems SF AB
Torshamnsgatan 39,
Mail Box 1128, S-164 ss
Kista
Sweden
supp...@os.se

ObjectTeam (also Teamwork)
--------------------------
*Shlaer/Mellor, Rumbaugh (a "special edition" of Paradigm Plus)
*SQL, ADA, Smalltalk, C, and C++ generation
*VAX/VMS, Unix, OS/2, PC-DOS  Rumbaugh: PC($4000)/Unix($8000),
*SM: Unix (1 at a time)
*Demo Tutorial, Eval copies.  ATM example + others.
Cadre Technologies, Inc
222 Richmond St.,
Providence, RI
(401) 351-5950
(401) 455-6800 (fax)

OEW (Object Engineering Workbench)
----------------------------------
*Martin/Odell object diagrams
*generates C++ (templates unless supplemented with C coded methods)
*reverse engineers C++
*Sun OS, PC Windows 3.x ($99-$2190)
Innovative Software GmbH
Niddastr. 66-68
6000 Frankfurt/M 1
Germany
+49 60 236 929
+49 69 236930 (fax)

OMW (Object Management Workbench)
---------------------------------
*draws and executes from Martin/Odell diagrams
*produces fully executable ANSI C environment
*UI construction facilities, "object engine" for managing objects
*AI "rule engine" for managing rules
*interfaces with multiple databases
*Unix; generated code runs on any ANSI C environment ($5,000-25,000)
IntelliCorp
1975 El Camino Real West
Mountain View, CA  94025
(415) 965-5500
(415) 965-5647 (fax)

OMTool (see also StP/OMT)
--------------------------
*OMTool(tm) version 2.0 (Object Modeling Tool, Rumbaugh) PC-based graphical
 tool for OO analysis and design. graphical prep and editing of object models
 for systems, programs, databases using the OMT.
*8MB mem/math coproc(16MB without), Windows 3.1, Mouse, Hard Disk with 4 MB of
 available disk space, 386 CPU, Video Graphics Adapter.
*Price: $995.00 US.
Martin Marietta Advanced Concepts Center
640 Freedom Business Center
King of Prussia, PA 19406
  +1 (610) 992-6200,
  +1  800  438-7246,
  +1 (610) 992-6299  (FAX)

OSMOSYS
-------
*OOA and OOD for OSMOSYS
Winter Partners
London Office:                 Zurich Office:
  West Wing, The Hop Exchange
  24a Southwark Street           Florastrasse 44
  London SE1 1TY                 CH-8008 Zurich
  England                        Switzerland
  Tel. +44-(0)71-357-7292        Tel. +41-(0)1-386-95 11
  Fax. +44-(0)71-357-6650        Fax. +41-(0)1-386-95 00

Paradigm Plus
-------------
*CASE toolset supporting Booch(new), Coad/Yourdon, EVB, and others.
*configurable meta-CASE tool
*Rev eng code.  Gen code templates.  Incr code gen next release, year end.
*Windows: Fixed/1 machine, $3995, maint $599. Floating/net $4995, maint $750.
*Unix: $7770, $1155 maint.    Multiple discounts.
*Eval, Demo, 30 day eval copy.
Protosoft
17629 El Camino Real 202
Houston TX 77058
713 480 3233
Fax 713 480 6606

Prosa/om
--------
*Coad/Yourdon notation
*Generates C++, SQL
*Windows, OS/2,  Motif
Prosa Software
Kirkkokato 5 B
SF-90100 Oulu, FInland
+358 (81) 376-128
+358 (81) 371-754

Ptech
-----
*Martin/Odell notation
*modifiable meta-model
*supports Martin/Odell notation, "data model is the database", C++ and Ontos
 or Objectivity code generation (fully executable code), formal foundation
*Unix, ($5,000-25,000)
Ptech, Inc.
200 Friberg Parkway
Westborough, MA 01581  USA
(508) 366-9166

Rational Rose
-------------
*Booch notation OOA/D
*generates C++
*Unix, AIX ($749-5,249)
*(PC version formerly sold by Palladio Software)
Rational
3320 Scott Blvd.
Santa Clara, Ca.  95054
(408) 496-3700
Also:
*C++ Booch Components 1-800-767-3237 ext. 23

S-CASE
------
*Booch-93 notation
*generates C++ headers and stubs
*project management aids, multi-user
*Windows, OSF/Motif, Open Look, Macintosh ($249-995)
MultiQuest Corp
1699 E. Woodfield Rd Suite A-1
Schaumburg, IL  60173
(708) 240-5555, (708) 240-5556 (fax)

Select OMT
----------
*Rumbaugh notation
*generates C++
*Windows ($695)
Select Software Tools, Ltd
1526 Brookhollow Dr.
Santa Ana, CA  92705
(714) 957-6633; (714) 957-6219

SES/Objectbench
---------------
*Shlaer/Mellor notation, supports GUI and database links editors, browsers,
 test utilities, and statistical analysis for simulation development.
 Emphasizes importance of model animation to functionally verify the analysis.
*generates C++
*Macintosh, MS-DOS, UNIX ($4,900 to $24,300)
Software & Engineering Software (SES)
4301 Westbank Dr., Bldg A, Austin, TX 78746
(512) 328-5544, (512) 327-6646 (fax)

Stood
-----
*HOOD (version 3.1) notation, supports Ada, C, C++
*Unix, RISC, X windows
Techniques Nouvells d'Informatique
Technopole Brest-Iroise
ZI du Vernis, Case postale 1
29608 Brest Cedex, France
+33 9 8052744, +33 9 849-4533 (fax)

StP/OMT - Software through Pictures
-----------------------------------
*Member of StP family of integrated multi-user software development tools.
 Developed jointly by MM ACC and IDE. Open architecture, object- and system-
 level designs, reuses existing class structures to build applications.
 Stand-alone or part of OMT Success Packages which combines training,
 consulting, mentoring, and maintenance in addition to software.  Shared
 repository, version control and locking, code and document generation.
*StP/OMT runs on; AIX, DECstation, RS/6000, Sun OS, SPARCstation, HP 700/800,
 and Sun Solaris.
*Price: $12,000.00 US
Interactive Development Environments.
595 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
+1 (415) 543-0900,
+1  800  888-4331

System Architect
----------------
*Booch, Coad/Yourdon, Shlaer-Mellor.
*design portion specific to Smalltalk, Ada, Object Pascal, and C++
*dialogues and menu management (Windows, C, C++),  DB views (SQL, C++),
 other (C++)
*Windows ($1395, single User), OS/2($1795, base).
Popkin Software
11 Park Place
New York, NY  10007
(212) 571-3434
(212) 571-2426 (fax)

Toolbuilder
-----------
*many notation (IE, HOOD, SSADM, Shlaer-Mellor)
*configurable meta-CASE tool
*executable code generation of C, C++, Cobol, ADA (via enhanced design-level
 action diagrams) and Motif and Open Look
*interfaces  to Sybase, Oracle, Informix
*Sun Sparc, Apollo, HP 9000, DECstation, RS6000 ($17,000)
IPSYS Software
28 Green St.
Newbury, MA 01951
(508) 463-0006
IPSYS Software plc
Marlborough Court
Pickford Street
Macclefield, Cheshire
SK11 6JD  U. K.
+44 (625) 616722

TurboCASE
---------
*ER diagrams and state charts
*design portion supports class hierarchy, collaboration
*Macintosh ($995)
StructSoft
5416 156th Ave SE
Bellevue, WA  98006
206-644-9834

VIEWS-SF
--------
*supports VSF's extensive approach (including rules) some of which are based on other popular notations
*C++ template generation, reverse engineerings
*OS/2, Unix ($8,000-$23,500)
Virtual Software Factory, Inc
13873 Park Center Rd, #218
Herndon, VA  22071
(703) 318-1180

ARTICLES, PRODUCTS, AND PAPERS ON CASE SYSTEMS

> "CASE Products 1990: A survey of CASE Products from US Vendors",

  Arbeitspapiere der GMD 518, March, 1991.  Heinz W. Schmidt,

Ovum Ltd
1 Mortimer Street
London W1N 7RH
England
Tel: +44 71 255 2670
Fax: +44 71 255 1995

From: o...@idt.unit.no (Odd Ivar Lindland)
Subject: Re: CASE Survey
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 06:57:25 GMT

A comprehensive survey of 35 commercial CASE tools is given in
"Ovum evaluates: CASE products". It is from 1993 and is continuously updated.
It has all the information you asked for. The bad thing is that it is very
expensive ($1995 !!!). You should get a 40 % academic discount, however.
Moreover, recently they had a "quick-answer discount" making the full price
(before academic discount) $1295. Anyway, I believe it is good investment if you
quickly want to have comprehensive information about the current CASE market.
Particularly valuable is the comparative evaluation of the 35 products.

From: s...@cs.utwente.nl (Sjaak Brinkkemper)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 11:05:51 GMT

The proceedings of the Fourth Workshop on the Next Generation of
CASE Tools (NGCT'93) are available as a technical report from the
Center for Telematics and Information Technology, University of
Twente.

Price: Nfl 45, US$ 25 (including shipping and money transfer)

Order by sending a message including a POSTAL ADDRESS to:
Sjaak Brinkkemper
CTIT
E-mail: s...@cs.utwente.nl

*      Proceedings of the Fourth Workshop on the      *
*           Next Generation of CASE Tools             *
*     Universite Paris 1 Sorbonne - 7/8 June 1993     *

Editors: S. Brinkkemper and F. Harmsen
Center for Telematics and Information Technology
University of Twente
the Netherlands
174 pages

Abstract

The Workshop on the Next Generation of CASE Tools (NGCT) is an
annual event, bringing together leading researchers on Computer
Aided Software Engineering (CASE). NGCT workshop is a pre-conference
workshop of the annual Conference on Advanced Information Systems
Engineering (CAiSE). The goal of this year's workshop, held in
Paris, is to conduct an in-depth discussion of research ...

read more »

Comp.Object FAQ Version 1.0.6 (9-15) Part 7/9

Post by Bob Hathawa » Sun, 18 Sep 1994 21:04:36

Archive-name: object-faq/part8
Last-Modified: 9/15/94
Version: 1.0.6

More stuff is always welcome.  (Btw, Interviews and Motif C++ wrapper
classes are to be found in the /pub/X11 subtree.)

>15  ConceptBase (OODB, reqkey)

What: ConceptBase

See APPENDIX B.

A four week test-version of ConceptBase V3.1 is available
on the FTP server ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de in the
directory pub/CB.  For running the ftp version you must ask for a
key by email.

>16  C++ OODB

Exodus (Storage Man, perst)

From: darr...@dibbler.cs.monash.edu.au (Daz)
Subject: Re: Class libraries for accessing RDBs ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 23:53:22 GMT

she...@gizmo.CS.MsState.Edu (Chandrashekar Ramanathan) writes:
>Hello,
>       Are there any shareware/ftp'able C++ class libraries that
>provide Relational Database access? I would also appreciate any
>pointers (ideas/articles/journals) to the various issues that one has
>to consider in designing such library.

Ok, I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want, but it's a database, it's
fully written in c++ with classes etc, and it's out for beta testing.

Check out pippin.cs.monash.edu.au:pub/export/diamond-0.1.2.tar.Z
and please mail darr...@dibbler.cs.monash.edu.au if you decide to play with
it.

Daz.
--
Darren Platt, Department of Computer Science
darr...@dibbler.cs.monash.edu.au

>17  Exodus (Storage Man, perst)

What: Exodus project software (Storage Manager & GNU E)
From: zwill...@caseus.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Zwilling)
Date: 16 Jul 92 04:53:19 GMT

In the past there have been discussions in comp.object and comp.databases
about persistent storage for object-oriented databases and programming
languages.  As you may know, the EXODUS Database Toolkit project at the
University of Wisconsin has researched these issues and others for a number of
years.  The purpose of this note is to inform you that the software from the
EXODUS project is freely available via anonymous ftp.  The EXODUS software
includes the EXODUS Storage Manager and the compiler for the E persistent
programming language.  Also included is documentation, and a suite of test
programs for both components.  This note briefly describes the software and
explains how to obtain it.  We currently support DECstation 3100s/5000s and
SPARC based workstations.  Others have ported the code to HP700s and IBM
RS6000s.

The EXODUS Storage Manager is a client-server object storage system which
provides "storage objects" for storing data, versions of objects, "files"
for grouping related storage objects, and indexes for supporting efficient
object access.  A storage object is an uninterpreted container of bytes which
can range in size from a few bytes to hundreds of megabytes.  The Storage
Manager provides routines to read, overwrite, and efficiently grow and shrink
objects.  In addition, the Storage Manager provides transactions, lock-based
concurrency control, and log-based recovery.

GNU E is a persistent, object-oriented programming language developed as part
of the Exodus project.  GNU E extends C++ with the notion of persistent data,
program level data objects that can be transparently used across multiple
executions of a program, or multiple programs, without explicit input and
output operations.

GNU E's form of persistence is based on extensions to the C++ type system to
distinguish potentially persistent data objects from objects that are always
memory resident.  An object is made persistent either by its declaration (via
a new "persistent" storage class qualifier) or by its method of allocation
(via persistent dynamic allocation using a special overloading of the new
operator).  The underlying object storage system is the Exodus storage manager,
which provides concurrency control and recovery in addition to storage for
persistent data.

The current release of GNU E is based on gcc/g++ version 2.2.2, and is upward
compatible with C++ as implemented by that compiler.

A bibliography of EXODUS related papers can be obtained from the ftp site
described below.

To obtain the software, simply ftp to ftp.cs.wisc.edu (128.105.8.18), login
as anonymous with your email address as a password, "cd" to the "exodus"
directory, and follow the directions (directions will be given as you "cd").
See the README for the latest information about the software and an indication
of our future plans.  If you decide to use the software, please contact us at
exo...@cs.wisc.edu so that we can notify you of changes.

>18  GRAS

GRAS - A Graph-Oriented Database System for SE Applications
Copyright (C) 1987-1992  Lehrstuhl Informatik III, RWTH Aachen
This library is free software under the terms of the GNU Library
General Public License.

Lehrstuhl f"ur Informatik III --> GRAS
University of Technology Aachen (RWTH Aachen),
Ahornstr. 55,
D-5100 Aachen
Contact : Dr. Andy Sch"urr (or Richard Breuer),
a...@rwthi3.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
ri...@rwthi3.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (for technical support)

The system GRAS with interfaces for the programming languages Modula-2
and C is available as public domain software for Sun3/Sun4 workstations
(the GRAS system itself is implemented in Modula-2 and consists of many
layers which might be reusable for the implementation of other systems):

  Via anonymous ftp from tupac-amaru.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
  (137.226.112.31) in the directory /pub/unix/GRAS522_3

  There are several files contain documentation, sources, binaries,
  and libraries. All binaries are for Sun/4 machines. Sun/3 binaries
  are shipped only if explicitly requested.

[See APPENDIX B]

>19  MOOD   (OODB, lim arch)

What: MOOD/P3 Ver.2.00 OODBS {Miniature,Materials}OODBS.
From: o...@mood.mech.tohoku.ac.jp (Noboru Ono)
Date: 18 May 92 10:28:42 GMT

The following program/sample database package is available through anonymous
FTP at mood.mech.tohoku.ac.jp (130.34.88.61). Sorry it is not the sources and
operates only in NEC-PC9801/MS-DOS environment.  Sorry again documents are all
in Japanese. We will tell you later when English documents has become ready.

      MOOD/P3 Ver.2.00
      Material's Object-Oriented Database, Prototype 3

This program, as you may guess,

      1) is an Object-Oriented database system program,
      2) operates on PC-9801 series personal computer, and
      3) is accompanied by sample material database schema.

Although this program has been developed and being used in the experiments
on material data processing in which we are now involved, it is a general
purpose OODBS.

Noboru Ono
Dept. of Machine Intelligence and Systems Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering, Tohoku University.
Tel:++22-222-1800
Fax:++22-268-3688
E-mail:o...@mood.mech.tohoku.ac.jp

>20  Ode    (C++ OODB)

What: Ode Release 1.1
From: n...@research.att.com

Ode is an object-oriented database based on the C++ database model. The
primary interface to Ode is the database programming language O++ which is
based on C++.

Ode 1.1 is now available to Universities.  This is a beta release.  The
current version of Ode runs on Sun (Sparc) workstations and users must have
C++ release 2.0 or a later release.  If you are interested in using Ode and
giving us feedback on your experience with Ode, please send me mail with the
appropriate information.

Narain Gehani
AT&T Bell Labs 3D-414
600 Mountain Ave
Murray Hill, NJ 07974

From: thss...@iitmax.iit.edu (Aditya M. Jani)
Subject: *Announcement* UserGroup for ODE (OODBMS from AT&T)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 17:27:53 GMT

                    Ode Object database v2.0
                    ------------------------
Ode 2.0 is available via ftp from research.att.com.
Here is a sample session showing how to retrieve Ode 2.0
which is kept in the directory

    dist/ode2.0

as a compressed tar file named

2.0.oppbin.tar.Z

First create the directory on the local machine
where ode is to be installed, e.g.,

mkdir ode
cd ode

Retrieve the compressed tar Ode file using ftp into
as illustrated below.
Then uncompress it

uncompress 2.0.oppbin.tar.Z

and unbundle it

tar xvf 2.0.oppbin.tar

Next see file README, fix install file, and run install

./install

Sample ftp session
--------------
$ ftp research.att.com
Connected to tcp!192.20.225.2!1390.
220 inet FTP server (Version 4.271 Fri Apr 9 10:11:04 EDT 1993) ready.
Name (research.att.com:smith): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password: smith@hostname
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd dist
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> cd ode2.0
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> get 2.0.oppbin.tar.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 2.0.oppbin.tar.Z (2762525
bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
2762525 bytes received in 1.6e+02 seconds (16 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

                              Available Now!

                                 Ode 2.0
                       An Object-Oriented Database

       C++ Compatible, Fast Queries, Complex Application Modeling,
       Multimedia Support, and more

       Ode 2.0 is now available to Universities.  Users who currently
       have Ode 1.1 will be automatically sent a tape with Ode 2.0.
       There is no charge for Ode.  However, AT&T requires the signing
       of a non-disclosure agreement.

       Details
       -------

       ODE OBJECT-ORIENTED DATABASE

       The Ode object database is based on the C++ object paradigm.
       Ode  uses  one  integrated data model (C++ classes) for both
       database and general purpose manipulation.  The Ode database
       is   defined,   queried  and  manipulated  in  the  database
       programming language O++, which provides simple and  elegant
       facilities for manipulating the database.

read more »