Hear about Chrysler C3 at Smalltalk Solutions

Hear about Chrysler C3 at Smalltalk Solutions

Post by Ronald E Jeffri » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

Chet Hendrickson and I will be giving a presentation on the Chrysler
Comprehensive Compensation (payroll) project at Smalltalk Solutions
this coming Thursday.

If you're going to be there, please come and listen to our story.
We'll be describing the "Extreme Programming" practices that turned C3
from a disaster into one of the most successful Smalltalk projects in
the world.

We'd welcome your input on our approach and our presentation.  Some of
what we do is easy to accept: some may seem harder to subscribe to.
But it all hangs together and we think you'll find it useful.  And you
may wish to ask questions of the people who've actually been doing the
stuff I've been posting here for the last couple of years.

Here are a few of the headings from our slides, some with an
additional teaser:

        Pair Programming - all production code is written by two
people sitting side by side at the computer.  Why?  Because the
project goes faster that way.

        CRC Card Design - we have a very well-factored system of over
600 classes and 14,000 methods, and the only CASE tools we needed were
4x6 cards.

        Continuous Integration - we integrate the system multiple
times PER DAY.

        Worst things first - always attack highest risk issues first.

        You aren't gonna need it - we never write even a single method
that isn't needed right now.  In fact, if we find an unsent method, we
remove it.  Find out why this helps you go faster with higher
reliability.  Find out why it does NOT reduce reuse!

        Refactor Mercilessly - keep the system clean at all times.

        Do the simplest thing that could possibly work - always build
the simplest code that can add the new functionality you need.

We hope you'll attend our session and challenge us to explain why
these practices (and more we'll describe) may make C3 the best
Smalltalk project in the world.

Regards,

Unit tests - Every class has comprehensive unit tests, and all unit
tests always run at 100%.

Ron Jeffries
Smalltalker
http://www.armaties.com
How do I know what I think until I see what I type?

Post by Joachim Durchhol » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

> We'd welcome your input on our approach and our presentation.  Some of
> what we do is easy to accept: some may seem harder to subscribe to.
> But it all hangs together and we think you'll find it useful.  And you
> may wish to ask questions of the people who've actually been doing the
> stuff I've been posting here for the last couple of years.

Anybody volunteer to post a resume of the proceedings? I'm having
difficulties getting there from Germany :(

Regards,
Joachim
--
Please don't send unsolicited ads.

Post by Tim Ottinge » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

> Chet Hendrickson and I will be giving a presentation on the Chrysler
> Comprehensive Compensation (payroll) project at Smalltalk Solutions
> this coming Thursday.

> If you're going to be there, please come and listen to our story.
> We'll be describing the "Extreme Programming" practices that turned C3
> from a disaster into one of the most successful Smalltalk projects in
> the world.

I'm *incredibly* interested, but cannot be there. As I'm sure that a great

many of us are likewise interested but indisposed, what are the chances
of this becoming a web document that we can all see and share?

tim

Post by Patrick Loga » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

: Chet Hendrickson and I will be giving a presentation on the Chrysler
: Comprehensive Compensation (payroll) project at Smalltalk Solutions
: this coming Thursday.

: http://www.armaties.com

If you cannot be there, much of the information is available at the web
site, above. Ron has done a good job making a lot of this information
available, and now it's good to see him broadcasting outside of the
Smalltalk community because a lot of it carries over into other
environments.

--

                 http://www.gemstone.com

1. Anyone out there heard of Smalltalk?

I have recently taken a 4-day seminar in developing object oriented
applications using Smalltalk V.  This is the Digitalk class object libraries.
I am new to developing in Smalltalk, but I've had some pretty good experiences
so far.  Digitalk also provide
s a visual screen development kit known as "PARTS".  There is a lot of room for
improvement here, especially with regard to MDI windows.  Anyone know about
Smalltalk????

2. InkTec carts

3. I can hear caller, he can't hear me

4. Windows 2000 Pro Workstaion

5. Smalltalk Solutions 2003 - Schedule of Talks Online

6. Starting OS/2 application from DOS-Box?

7. Smalltalk Solutions 2003: Call for Participation

8. Presentation from Smalltalk Solutions 2002

9. Smalltalk Solutions 2002

10. More information on Smalltalk Solutions 2002

11. Smalltalk Solutions 2002 Information

12. Smalltalk Solutions 2002