Extreme Programming: dedicated mailing list available

Extreme Programming: dedicated mailing list available

Post by Frank Westpha » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

German folks interested in the ideas of Kent Beck's
Extreme Programming software development discipline,

please join the German XP-Forum.  To subscribe, just

For starters, you might also want to take a look at

  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?GermanXpCommunity

Frank

[ FAQ: http://www.paragon-software.com/comp.object.moderated.faq/ ]
[     *  No Flames, No Spam, No Nonsense: Just OO discussion  *   ]

Extreme Programming: dedicated mailing list available

Post by Don Well » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I would be good to also mention that the messages in this forum are written
in German.

[ FAQ: http://www.paragon-software.com/comp.object.moderated.faq/ ]
[     *  No Flames, No Spam, No Nonsense: Just OO discussion  *   ]

1. Extreme Programming (XP) Process is Extreme!

There seems to be quite an interest in so-called XP (a new book was just
published by Kent Beck) by many software developers who hate following
the well-accepted methodologies and would just as soon go to the old
ways of diving into coding.

Here is a quote from
[http://www.xprogramming.com/Practices/PracDocumentation.html]

"One area that may concern you is our use of CRC cards. We generally do
not write anything on the cards, or if we do, we might write the class
name. We move them around, touch them, hand them back and forth, let
them act out the process we're designing. Then we throw the cards away
and write the code!

You may ask how we later know what the design is, since the cards are
gone. Our answer is that the design is represented in the code. If we did
have a document, it would either be out of date, or we would have to
spend time updating it. "

This is terrible. Ideas such as no commenting and documentation. Design
is in the Code. elided CRCs with only Cs while RC is gone! ... etc.

These are dangerous ideas and they go against the very foundation of the
OO methodologies that were developed by great thinkers/practitioners
such as Jacobson, Rumbaugh, Booch, Coad, Yourdon, Schlaer, Mellor,
Odell, Martin, etc.  In fact, it took decades of experience to produce
timeless masterpieces suchs as Jacobson's Objectory/OOSE and
Rumbaugh's OMT.  These Programming eXtremists apparenly hate the 9
diagrams of UML, Booch notation, OMT 3 models, etc. They just wanna
code and test IN PAIR (they advocate the crazy notion of pair
programming and no code ownership!) and have extremely short
analysis/design/coding/testing iterations that last for minutes instead of
weeks.  They believe you can compress all SDLC phases into one... The
idea of 4-for-the-price-of-1 may work for burgers but not software :-)

Please take a look at this and I invite your comments and ideas. I believe
we must defend the hard work and great strides made by the Great
Methodologists during the last 15 years or so.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. VT100 and other escape codes

3. OWL Mailing List Available

4. Need help finding an ellipse drawing algorithm!!!

5. adding mail ids to existing mailing lists in Exchange Server 2000

6. Public Properties for User Controls - How to create one?

7. program for a mailing list ?

8. CFP: 8th Euromicro PDP 2000

9. STL and Generic Programming mailing list

10. Open mail program/create mail from Windows application

11. Sending mail message by standard mail program

12. Aspect Oriented Programming work with Extreme Programming

13. Extreme programming without pair programming