Searching Allan Kays Definition of OOP

Post by Shayne Wissle » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:37:26

Quote:>   Has Alan Kay defined somewhere what the term
>   "object oriented" does suggest to him? Does
>   he have a web page or usenet posting with his
>   definition of it?

>   After all, they say he coined the term, so
>   his words on it should be somewhat authoritative.
>   I just can not find them. Thank you.

Alan Kay recognizes in "The Early History of Smalltalk" that the OO method
is implicit in the way a lot of people were writing procedural programs at
the time. So the ultimate "authority" here is really reality. IMO, Kay was
fundamentally right, but got some details wrong. So don't look to him as an
"authority". Still, he is great guide.

See http://www.metaobject.com/papers/Smallhistory.pdf.

Shayne Wissler

Searching Allan Kays Definition of OOP

Post by JXSter » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:11:07

Quote:>  BTW: I asked him about OOP and he replied:

>    "OOP to me means only messaging, local retention
>    and protection and hiding of state-process, and
>    extreme late-binding of all things."

>http://purl.net/stefan_ram/pub/doc_kay_oop_en

I remember "messaging" ...

J.