Help: problem with .pdf window size under Windows

Help: problem with .pdf window size under Windows

Post by George Fowle » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 07:54:53

Greetings!

I just found this group, and it's something I've been searching for. (I
kept trying "acrobat" in the full group window of my newsreader, with no
success.) Here's my most pressing question:

I am developing a CD-ROM using Acrobat 4.05a (we don't need any of the
new features from 5.0 for this project). Generally, this project will
accompany a book on cultural literacy for advanced learners of Russian.
The structure is a single large .pdf file containing the full text of
the book, enriched with a couple thousand links to pop-up graphics,
sound files, and a few other items. We are working on the Mac, but the
end result has to work on both Mac and Windows. We have a cross-platform
problem, which I will describe below. I sincerely hope someone here can
help me!

The issue is that on the Mac side, the pop-up graphics work as we
intend. They are defined to open "Fit Visible" and "Resize Window to
Initial page", and that means that they open at the top left corner of
the screen, extending until they fill the screen either vertically or
horizontally. This leaves the main .pdf file visible behind the pop-up
graphic, which is what we want, so the user can click back in the
original text window to go there (if s/he doesn't want to close the
graphic, for some reason).

Anyway, this works on the Mac side, but on the Windows side it doesn't.
Instead of opening a lean window the size and shape of the graphic, it
instead opens full-screen, with gray padding to fill the screen. This
prevents you from moving back to the original file by clicking, though
of course the Window menu still works. Anyway, we don't like it.

At first we thought this was simply some kind of bug. Then we ran across
an explanation at the Adobe Support Knowledgebase:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1b 26a.htm

[Here's the content of this page]

Resize Windows To Initial Page Option Doesn't Work When Acrobat 4.0 Is
Maximized Issue

When opening a PDF file with Resize Windows To Initial Page selected in
its Open Info dialog box, your Adobe Acrobat 4.0 for Windows application
does not resize the window to fit the file's first page.

Solution

Unmaximize the Acrobat 4.0 application window (i.e., click the Restore
button in the upper right corner).

Additional Information

Selecting Resize Windows To Initial Page in a PDF file's Open Info
dialog box instructs Acrobat to resize its window to fit the size of the
file's first page. The Acrobat 4.0 application window does not resize
when it is maximized, however, because Windows applications are usually
designed to remain maximized until you unmaximize them.

[Back to my question] So what we would like to do is to find a solution
which would achieve the effect that we have on the Mac side: the
graphics pop up in a lean window sized to fit the graphic instead of a
padded window to fill the screen. We can imagine two or three possible
ways to do this:

1) some sort of OS-level scripting like AppleScript on the Mac side,
which would be attached to (what?) and would automatically resize
windows to fit the contents upon pop-up. Doubtful but logically possible.

2) some workaround inside Acrobat, perhaps through Javascripting.
Doubtful, because if this was built into Acrobat, surely it would have
been mentioned in that support document quoted above.

3) some kind of plug-in which might achieve the desired effect, perhaps
with development on Windows also working on the Mac. We could do it that
way, if it would work.

Sorry for such a long posting! if anyone has any tips or suggestions or
workarounds to achieve the effect we want, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.

George Fowler

1. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

To sumarize what the probelem is:  I have just added a laptop that
used to un windows 98 and was fine, now runs windows 2000 and refuses
to see anyone except itself on the network.  The workgroup names all
that stuff has been double and triple checked many times.

Here is the detailed probelm:  I have 5 computers, 3 downstairs, and 2
upstairs (one of those 2 is the laptop).  The 3 downstairs are
connected to the linksys 8 port switch / router.  Then upstairs we
have a 6 port netgear hub connected to the switch downstairs.  We also
share a DSL connection this way.  All 3 downstairs run Windows 98
fine, and the desktop upstairs runs Winsows XP Pro, the laptop used to
run Windows 98 fine, it comunicated wiht everyone and shared
everything.  Now that it has Windows 2000, it does not.  Using some
diagnostics in the router, we figured out that the laptop got an IP
adress.  But it does not allow to be pinged (it does not respond to
the pings)  From reading other groups here, i have figured out that
the cause of many peoples troubles are caused by security
restrictions, restricting the computer from talking to there
computers.  Is this the case wiht me and how can i fix it?  If not,
what is the problem?

The other 4 computers talk to eachother fine, and have not been
affected by this in any way, they have always been using tcp and dhcp
and have been working fine, and still do, its the laptop that i cannot
get to work wiht them now.

2. VT220 on Ethernet? Or: What is that BNC thing?

3. Web Hosting Plans : Windows Silver Plan | Windows Gold Plan | Windows Platinum Plan | Windows Unlimited Plan

4. ACS 2.3 - Cisco VPN Client 4.0 - PIX 6.1

5. Control size of Window -- need Windows API guru

6. FS: Satellite Forms Enterprise Edition 3.5

7. Windows VT102/VT220 emulator? (28x132 window size)

8. Mac SCSI drives on A3000

9. PDF Reader or Exchange Opening Size on Windows Platform

10. xyouts character size to scale with the size of the plot window

11. WINDOWS, WINDOWS, WINDOWS .... aaarrrggghhhh

12. HELP REQUEST - Default Window size at startup of 123r5

13. Scenery window is incorrectly sized. please help.