File Opening Error Message: "File does not begin with '%PDF-'"

File Opening Error Message: "File does not begin with '%PDF-'"

Post by Privatu » Fri, 18 May 2001 04:26:47

Thanks are offered in advance for any assistance that can be provided with
the following:

THE SITUATION:

When trying to open a *.pdf document, I'm encountering the following error
message:

 >> There was an error opening this document.  File does not begin with
'%PDF-'.

Of course, I tried renaming the file beginning with "%PDF-", but to no
avail.

THE PROBLEM:

Obviously, it is this: How do I open this *.pdf file?

THE SPECS:

** I run Windows 98 on a 600 Mhz Pentium III PC
** I use Adobe Acrobat 3.01
** I use Internet Explorer 5.0
** My printer is an HP LaserJet 4P

Thanks much,

John Burke

Post by Aandi Inst » Fri, 18 May 2001 04:30:16

>Thanks are offered in advance for any assistance that can be provided with
>the following:

>THE SITUATION:

>When trying to open a *.pdf document, I'm encountering the following error
>message:

> >> There was an error opening this document.  File does not begin with
>'%PDF-'.

This message means what it says. A PDF file contains, inside it, as
its first line, something starting %PDF. If it does not begin %PDF, it
simply is NOT a PDF file, whatever the name, icon, or anything else
might suggest.

Quote:

>Of course, I tried renaming the file beginning with "%PDF-", but to no
>avail.

The message is not about the file name.

Quote:

>THE PROBLEM:

>Obviously, it is this: How do I open this *.pdf file?

It obviously isn't PDF. Possibly, it is a compressed or archived PDF
file.

Try opening the file in Word.  Post the first two lines you see here.

File Opening Error Message: "File does not begin with '%PDF-'"

Post by Fran?ois Rober » Fri, 18 May 2001 04:31:21

Quote:

> When trying to open a *.pdf document, I'm encountering
> the following error message:
>  >> There was an error opening this document.  File
> does not begin with '%PDF-'.

> Of course, I tried renaming the file beginning with
> "%PDF-", but to no avail.

You misunderstood the error message. It is not the *filename* that
should begin with "%PDF-" but the five first characters of the *file
itself * that should be "%PDF-". Anyway, this error message means that
this file is NOT a PDF... You need to find out what it is... (maybe a
zipped PDF ?)
Fran?ois Robert
(to mail me, reverse character order in reply address)

1. "File does not begin with '%PDF' "

------=_NextPart_000_01BC9629.0AF22C40

I have a contact that sends me his Mac files as PDF's when I try to open
them it says
"File does not begin with '%PDF' "

I'm using version 3.0 of the Acrobat Reader, so what's the problem, any
hints

Thanx in Advance

Greg
------=_NextPart_000_01BC9629.0AF22C40

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">I have a contact that sends me his Mac =
files as PDF's when I try to open them it says<br>&quot;File does not =
begin with '%PDF' &quot;<br><br>I'm using version 3.0 of the Acrobat =
Reader, so what's the problem, any hints<br><br>Thanx in =
------=_NextPart_000_01BC9629.0AF22C40--

2. VOLUME SYS: HELP!!

4. Audio problem

5. Transfer data from ".pdf" file to ".mdb" file

6. Network Engineer with Cisco/WAN/MPLS experience PAY RATE$ 40/HR

7. Windview 2 : "Unknown event reveived: type=8368" error message while opening log file

8. Sniffers for netcrack

9. File does not begin with '%PDF'

10. File does not begin with '%PDF-'

11. Cannot open Lotus file "Error reading file"

12. error message "the v604 engine does not support file creation ".