No colors in my PDF files

Post by Jan Krumsie » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:36:45

Hi.

I am using Adobe's free Postscript Print Driver 5 to create .ps files
and GSView 4.3 / Ghostscript 7.04 to convert these files to PDF
documents on a Win2K/SP2 machine.

Unfortunately there are no colors in my generated .ps files (grayscale
only) in GSView already (before converting to PDF).

Does anyone know this problem? There doensn't seem to be a printer
setting to activate colors.

Thanks for any help,

 Jan

--

Please reply to krumsiek(at)gmx(dot)net

No colors in my PDF files

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:55:41

>I am using Adobe's free Postscript Print Driver 5 to create .ps files
>and GSView 4.3 / Ghostscript 7.04 to convert these files to PDF
>documents on a Win2K/SP2 machine.

Strictly speaking it's Microsoft's driver when you install it in
Windows 2000.  Not sure why people keep downloading it, since Windows
2000 comes with (the same) PostScript driver, via the ADD PRINTER
icon.

Quote:

>Unfortunately there are no colors in my generated .ps files (grayscale
>only) in GSView already (before converting to PDF).

Perhaps you did not install a colour driver. A common error is to
install using the "Generic PPD", which is for a black and white
device.

No colors in my PDF files

Post by Jan Krumsie » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:11:22

> Strictly speaking it's Microsoft's driver when you install it in
> Windows 2000.  Not sure why people keep downloading it, since Windows
> 2000 comes with (the same) PostScript driver, via the ADD PRINTER
> icon.

But where do I find this driver? Microsoft is not even in my
manufacturers' list of printer drivers.

Quote:> Perhaps you did not install a colour driver. A common error is to
> install using the "Generic PPD", which is for a black and white
> device.

So what is the name of that color driver?

Jan

--

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:24:44

>> Strictly speaking it's Microsoft's driver when you install it in
>> Windows 2000.  Not sure why people keep downloading it, since Windows
>> 2000 comes with (the same) PostScript driver, via the ADD PRINTER
>> icon.

>But where do I find this driver? Microsoft is not even in my
>manufacturers' list of printer drivers.

That's because Microsoft don't make printers. Almost ALL the drivers
you see there are written by Microsoft.

Quote:

>> Perhaps you did not install a colour driver. A common error is to
>> install using the "Generic PPD", which is for a black and white
>> device.

>So what is the name of that color driver?

I would hope that someone has produced a GhostScript colour driver by
now, but if not, try one of the (Xerox or) Tektronix Phaser series,
all of which are colour PostScript printers. Don't use HP printers.

1. Colors in PDF file (or rather no colors)

Sounds like he already has this -- he's getting pdf. It's just
not in color.

For some unknown reason, the direct print to pdf *always*
produces black & white for me.

To get color, I print to postscript -- printing to a postscript
printer that supports color, sending output to a file. Then I
distill the resultant postscript. The pdf is then in color.

(This does happen in one step if you have "full" Acrobat, not
just the distiller, installed, by printing to the "Acrobat
Distiller" pseudo-printer that Acrobat defines.)

Greg Pfister

2. Big Time Problem Here

3. How to add page nos for PDF docs created from Webpages?

4. How to put a background figure in every page

5. NeXT Black Colour - which SONY is it ins

6. [Fwd: No network protocols running]

7. Best way to save multiple PDF files into one PDF file?

8. Databases and AutoCAD

9. Adding one pdf file to the end of another pdf file

10. Copy and object from a pdf file into another pdf file

11. Pdf-files to 1 Pdf-file ??

12. How to convert a pdf file to to a 2-up or 4-up pdf file?

13. Building Two PDF file contents on one PDF File with VB