HTML forms filling out a PDF form?

Post by Joyce Stac » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for a HTML form to PDF form gateway.  Does such a thing
exist?

I want to do the following:

-- User fills out a HTML form and submits it
-- Webserver catches submission and takes the HTML form inputs and
somehow inserts them into a PDF form.
-- Webserver returns to the user an HTML link to the just-made PDF file
-- User downloads the PDF file.  It has its fields filled in w/ what was
typed into
the HTML form.

Seems, from my reading, that the PDF form has to have an accompanying
FDF file sitting close by.  The webserver will stuff the HTML form
inputs into the FDF file and then somehow, programmatically, the
just-filled FDF file is merged w/ the the PDF form.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joyce

Post by Daniel P. Hembre » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a HTML form to PDF form gateway.  Does such a thing
> exist?

> I want to do the following:

> -- User fills out a HTML form and submits it
> -- Webserver catches submission and takes the HTML form inputs and
> somehow inserts them into a PDF form.
> -- Webserver returns to the user an HTML link to the just-made PDF file
> -- User downloads the PDF file.  It has its fields filled in w/ what was
> typed into
> the HTML form.

> Seems, from my reading, that the PDF form has to have an accompanying
> FDF file sitting close by.  The webserver will stuff the HTML form
> inputs into the FDF file and then somehow, programmatically, the
> just-filled FDF file is merged w/ the the PDF form.

There are two ways to go here. The HTML client can either send back an HTML
form or the actual FDF. The only advantage to submitting as an HTML form is
if you want to use already existing forms. You'll need "Adobe Acrobat" not
just the reader to create the form initially. When creating the form you'll
make a choice under the  "action" label to submit the information back as
an FDF or HTML format. The scenario you describe should work fine. There is
a catalog example at the Adobe FDF site that would be a good place to
start. They provide a C library there in for doing CGI work.

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/forms.html