Convert Word Doc to PDf using Acrobat SDK

Convert Word Doc to PDf using Acrobat SDK

Post by RCN - NEW » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Please let me know if it is possible to convert a Word Document to PDF and
Append this PDF to an Existing PDF

Thanks in Advance

Vivek

Convert Word Doc to PDf using Acrobat SDK

Post by Richard K Bethe » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi!

> Please let me know if it is possible to convert a Word Document to PDF and
> Append this PDF to an Existing PDF

Why do you want to do this programmatically? (After all, you'd need to
understand the WDBN format, which the Acro SDK won't give you.)

Why not simply use the "Create Adobe PDF" macros provided for Word with
Acrobat 4.0?

Richard
--

  Eat the hand that feeds you.
* http://www.ncf.ca/ |  NCF Website Team Coordinator

Convert Word Doc to PDf using Acrobat SDK

Post by mikem.. » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Is anyone using the acrobat SDK?? I am new to
this sort of programming, and am having trouble.
Ultimately, I need to be able to create one
big .pdf from many small ones, on the fly (in
response to a web asp command)

It seems like it should be easy (sort of): just
use PDDocOpen on the first doc, then loop
PDDocInsertPages on the rest until you are done,
save and close. (Don't worry for the moment how
we get the doc names into the function)  But I
can't get a program of this sort to link.  I get
an "unresolved external symbol _gPDModelHFT"
error.  I assume this has something to do with
the fact that I am not using the SDK to develop a
plug in, but rather to automate .pdf processes.

Can anyone take the time to set me straight?

I appreciate it,
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Aandi Inst » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Is anyone using the acrobat SDK?? I am new to
>this sort of programming, and am having trouble.
>Ultimately, I need to be able to create one
>big .pdf from many small ones, on the fly (in
>response to a web asp command)

>It seems like it should be easy (sort of): just
>use PDDocOpen on the first doc, then loop
>PDDocInsertPages on the rest until you are done,
>save and close. (Don't worry for the moment how
>we get the doc names into the function)  But I
>can't get a program of this sort to link.  I get
>an "unresolved external symbol _gPDModelHFT"
>error.  I assume this has something to do with
>the fact that I am not using the SDK to develop a
>plug in, but rather to automate .pdf processes.

You can't.  The plug-in API can only be used in plug-ins, and to
compile a plug-in you must follow the instructions exactly e.g. the
PIMain.c module is required.  It is easiest to adapt the template
plug-ins.

A plug-in can still be used to do automation, but it has to first
install itself as a plug-in. Then it can start using the API in
response to external events.

However, Exchange is not supported or recommended in a web server
environment.

The PDF Library can be used to create free-standing applications, if
you can persuade Adobe to license it to you, but AppendPDF
(www.digapp.com) is a lot cheaper than a license for the PDF Library.
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

Convert Word Doc to PDf using Acrobat SDK

Post by David Montgomer » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

From what I gather,

you want to use the OLE functionality in Exchange to combine many PDF's into
one document.  Here's a sample of a function to do this in pascal:

function OLEPDFConcatenate(SaveFile: String; StringList: TStringList):
Integer;
var
   MainPDF, InsertPDF, Temp: Variant;
   MainCount, InsCount, I, ResCode: Integer;
begin
   try
   CoInitialize(nil);
   ResCode := -1;
   MainPDF := CreateOLEObject('AcroExch.PDDoc');
   MainPDF.Open(StringList[0]);
   For I := 1 to StringList.Count - 1 do
      begin
      MainCount := MainPDF.GetNumPages - 1;
      InsertPDF := CreateOLEObject('AcroExch.PDDoc');
      InsertPDF.Open(StringList[I]);
      InsCount := InsertPDF.GetNumPages;
      MainPDF.InsertPages(MainCount, InsertPDF, 0, InsCount, True);
      InsertPDF.Close;
      end;
   Temp := '&H1';
   MainPDF.Save(Temp, SaveFile);
   MainPDF.Close;
   ResCode := 0;
   finally
   Result := ResCode;
   CoUnInitialize;
   end;
end; {OLEPDFConcatenate}

As Aandi indicated, this is probably not a great idea for a web-based
application, unless it can be processed asynchronously.

Best Regards,

David Montgomery