Company manual needs to be put in PDF form on Intranet site, need help.

Company manual needs to be put in PDF form on Intranet site, need help.

Post by Neal Matthi » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I want to put a large company manual on our company intranet.  The manual
consists of 20 or so Framemaker 5.5 files.  I was going to convert the 20
Framemaker files to Adobe PDF from within Framemaker, allowing it to create
a catalog index for each file.  I really like the idea of the user being
able to jump to different parts of a file using the index that was
generated, but it would be most useful if the index would be a global index
covering all 20 PDF files, while only loading the PDF file they want to see
at the moment.  Is there a way to do this cheaper, preferably with the tools
that come with Adobe Acrobat 4, Framemaker 5.5, or Pagemaker 6.5?  I would
like the user to be able to do a search across all 20 PDF files.  Thanks.

Neal Matthis

Post by John Doher » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I want to put a large company manual on our company intranet.  The manual
> consists of 20 or so Framemaker 5.5 files.  I was going to convert the 20
> Framemaker files to Adobe PDF from within Framemaker, allowing it to create
> a catalog index for each file.  I really like the idea of the user being
> able to jump to different parts of a file using the index that was
> generated, but it would be most useful if the index would be a global index
> covering all 20 PDF files, while only loading the PDF file they want to see
> at the moment.  Is there a way to do this cheaper, preferably with the tools
> that come with Adobe Acrobat 4, Framemaker 5.5, or Pagemaker 6.5?  I would
> like the user to be able to do a search across all 20 PDF files.  Thanks.

The Acrobat package includes Catalog, which does what you want: it
creates searchable indexes, which can be built from multiple PDF files.

--

Company manual needs to be put in PDF form on Intranet site, need help.

Post by Steve Rindsber » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Catalog does exactly this.  For example, I have a ton of information about
various subjects all squirreled away under an \Info directory on the
network.  Under \Info are various subdirectories for specific subjects, and
in each of those are PDFs.  I haven't counted them lately, but there are
several hundred individual PDFs, from single pages to multi-hundred page
manuals.

So ..

I indexed the whole of this hodgepodge (and absent the Catalog-made index, a
hodgepodge is all it is, I promise you).

I created another PDF in the main \Info directory; let's say it's name is
Archive (for that indeed is what its name is.)  Archive has been told to
automatically attach the index for yon hodgepodge upon opening.  It includes
a few form buttons like Search, View Search Results, Prefs and the like,
most of which simply execute the corresponding menu item.

When I want to extract some bit of useful information from this electronic
dump bin, I start Archive.pdf, click Search, plug in the search term I'm
after and get back all the found "hits" in a matter of seconds.  Or less.
It's really startlingly fast, even across a network.

And that, by the way, is one potential fly in the ointment - it works very
nicely over the net, on a local drive or even on CD, but wouldn't work over
the internet via web server.  There are solutions that permit that as well,
but I haven't looked into them.

>I want to put a large company manual on our company intranet.  The manual
>consists of 20 or so Framemaker 5.5 files.  I was going to convert the 20
>Framemaker files to Adobe PDF from within Framemaker, allowing it to create
>a catalog index for each file.  I really like the idea of the user being
>able to jump to different parts of a file using the index that was
>generated, but it would be most useful if the index would be a global index
>covering all 20 PDF files, while only loading the PDF file they want to see
>at the moment.  Is there a way to do this cheaper, preferably with the
tools
>that come with Adobe Acrobat 4, Framemaker 5.5, or Pagemaker 6.5?  I would
>like the user to be able to do a search across all 20 PDF files.  Thanks.

>Neal Matthis

1. Need Help Help Help.....Putting value in user from by loop

Im trying to assign the value in excel user from thought loop.

Name of the textboxes are TB1,TB2,TB3.. TB22  .

Below is the code which Im using ,but its not working.

For num = 1 To 22

        txtbox_val = "TB" & num & ".value"

            txtbox_val = num

        End If

  Next num

The same thing I wanted to do with the label and the names of the label are
L1,L2,L3L22

Please help me on this.

--
Thanks and Reagrds
Shariq

2. SysTray Icon not visible after restart for a program running as administrator in Vista

3. Populating PDF form help needed please.

4. Where to Complain About Unsolicited Fax Ad?

5. Putting a PDF archive on an intranet

6. How to input HTML tags to the XML text?

7. need help with dynamic pdf form generation

8. Newbie to PDF forms needs help

9. Advice on Searching of PDF on Intranet Needed

10. PDF Forms Fill Ins

11. need help help........Texbox of user form

12. need help...'round an intRAnet THESIS