Generating Bookmarks from Book files in FrameMaker

Generating Bookmarks from Book files in FrameMaker

Post by Weir » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We are printing a book file from FrameMaker 5.1.1 on Win 95. The book
file contains FrameMaker documents that have different paragraph formats
(templates) in them.

When we select Generate Acrobat Data and select Acrobat Setup, in the
Include Paragraphs drop down list box, we only see paragraph formats
from one type of template (i.e., paragraph formats from only one type of
FrameMaker document are displaying).

We need to select paragraph formats to include as bookmarks from
documents in the Book file that have different paragraph formats that
aren't displaying for some reason.

Does anyone know where this list of Include Paragraphs is generated
from? Remember we are selecting this from Print Book, not an individual
FrameMaker file.

Thanks,

Glenn

Post by Barbara Whi » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>We are printing a book file from FrameMaker 5.1.1 on Win 95. The book
>file contains FrameMaker documents that have different paragraph formats
>(templates) in them.

>When we select Generate Acrobat Data and select Acrobat Setup, in the
>Include Paragraphs drop down list box, we only see paragraph formats
>from one type of template (i.e., paragraph formats from only one type of
>FrameMaker document are displaying).

I don't know if this is the answer to your problem, but I've
seen something similar (not identical) in past versions of
FM.  I was using FM3 and FM4 (haven't tried this in FM5, so I
can't verify if this is a problem there too) to import
formats from one file to another set of files (in a book or
as individual files).  I ran into identical problems such
that not all of my tags appeared as choices in the import
format window.

After a lot of tweeking, I determined that FM could display
only so many paragraph tags in the import box.  FM simply
could not display all of the tags because I must have reached
my quota, believe it or not (and I never did determine what
the number was).  The only workaround that I ever found was
to eliminate tags from the paragraph catalog -- I eliminated
tags that I absolutely did not need to have in the catalog.
(I could still have the tag assigned to text, but it just
could not appear in the catalog.)

This could be the problem that you're seeing as you try to
generate acrobat-smart code. (When you do this, you get a
list of all of the relevant para tags -- perhaps this aspect
of FM is similar to the others in that you have a quota of
tags that can be displayed.)  Try deleting some tags that do
not NEED to appear in the catalog (you needn't delete these
tags from the files, just from the catalog). Hope that works.
Good luck.

Generating Bookmarks from Book files in FrameMaker

Post by Anthony DeStefani » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

<<<<<
[...]

Hi Glenn,

My guess is that this is the same as when you try to include paragraphs
in a book's toc: The book has it's own list of paragraphs and this
is where the info is coming from.

Try saving the book as MIF and looking at the paragraphs in it.
Does this match the list you are seeing?

A work around is to go ahead and add all the missing paragraphs to
the book via MIF. Sometimes paragraphs get added to the book from
other chapters by the generation process, but not always.

I haven't ever used the acrobat stuff, so I could be way off
base...but what I've said would fit the pattern that Frame
uses... I have to add paragraph tags to book files all the time
to get everything I want in the TOC.

tonyd
--
/|-\\------//------------------------------------------------
||  \\    //  Anthony DeStefanis  |  DataViews Corporation  |

||//  \\//    Technical Writer    |  http://www.dvcorp.com  |
|_/ -- \/----------------------------------------------------
   The opinions expressed herein are mine and mine alone!

Post by pal.rojdi » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We are printing a book file from FrameMaker 5.1.1 on Win 95. The book
> file contains FrameMaker documents that have different paragraph formats
> (templates) in them.

> When we select Generate Acrobat Data and select Acrobat Setup, in the
> Include Paragraphs drop down list box, we only see paragraph formats
> from one type of template (i.e., paragraph formats from only one type of
> FrameMaker document are displaying).

> We need to select paragraph formats to include as bookmarks from
> documents in the Book file that have different paragraph formats that
> aren't displaying for some reason.

> Does anyone know where this list of Include Paragraphs is generated
> from? Remember we are selecting this from Print Book, not an individual
> FrameMaker file.

> Thanks,

> Glenn

The easiest way is to generate the book before doing the Acrobat
conversion, this will add all paragraphs from all book components to the
list in the "Acrobat Setup" dialogue.

Tomas Olofsson,
Tetra Pak ComTec AB
Sweden

Generating Bookmarks from Book files in FrameMaker

Post by Chris Buchhol » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi Glenn:

The problem with the paragraphs not appearing in Acrobat is that the book
file grabs the
tags from the first file. You should have move all your tags to the first
file. If some have the
same names but formatted differently, you'll have to change the names of
the different styles,
such as heading1-a heading1-b, etc.

This is not so bad, there are some that would argue they should have
different names to
begin with, and some that think it's more elegant to have the same names.
Either way,
from a technological standpoint it's what you have to do.

I don't know about that "too many tags" idea, I have one multipurpose
template with over
a hundred tags, and have no problems with it. The last thing you want to do
is delete
tags from the catalog. That's the whole point of sgml/html/pdf etc etc.

Here is an easy way to do it:
Make a backup of the first frame file in your book.
Make a new document. Using Import Formats import the Paragraph tags into it
one by one
from each document in the book. Make sure to import the tags from the first
bookfile
last, after you have done all the others, just in case some have the same
names and you
missed it, then the 1st document will not have its formatting messed up.
Then go to the 1st
document, and do an Import Formats again, grabbing the Paragraph tags from
the new
document you just created.
Save it, and then go through the conversion process again. It should work.

hope that helps,
Chris Buchholz

Technical Writer, Webmaster
International Software Solutions

ps: Hey, is that Platinum in Oakbrook Terrace? If you work there, do you
happen to know
Andrew Levers? I did a lot of Frame documentation for him a few years ago.

1. Problem with generating Bookmarks in PDF document from a FrameMaker 6

Hi,

We have a problem with generating bookmarks from a Framemaker 6 book file
when it is saved as PDF format.

1. The book contains several chapters, each individually created with
FrameMaker 6 and illustrated with Illustrator 8 or 9.

The chapter and page numbers are sequential and there have been no problems
or warnings when we created a TOC

and Index. From this book we have been able to generate a PDF file and
bookmarks using Distiller 5 and the default 'Print'

settings.

2. We recently inserted a file that was created in Microsoft RTF and
illustrated with Power Point slides that were saved in

TIF format. The file was re-formatted to the same .fr formats as the other
book chapters. There have been no failure or

error messages when generating a TOC or Index.

When the file was saved to PDF format using the same Distiller settings as
(1) above, the bookmarks only began at the

newly inserted chapter. All chapter files below the new one generated
bookmarks correctly. There were no failure

messages at the end of the Distiller operation.

3. We have re-formatted the chapter contents into a new blank template with
the same result.

We have over-written the contents of an older existing book chapter, checked
the format minutely, but get the

same results.

We have wiped the disk on the computer and re-installed everything from the
beginning. After this we copied the RTF

text into Notepad as ASCII text, formatted it and pasted the ASCII text into
a new .fr chapter template. The format was

checked with the greatest care but the result is the same; the PDF bookmarks
only begin with this file chapter and include

those chapter files below it.

4. If we move the suspect file to the beginning of the book, then the PDF
bookmarks start with this file as before. As a last

effort we deleted the TIF image files from the file, re-inserted it into the
book but we still get the same bookmark list starting

only at this chapter.

5. It seems clear that this chapter somehow blocks the generation of
bookmarks for any files above it in the hierarchy,

but we cannot correct the problem.

Can anyone please help?

2. Help with LClipboard in PowerPlant

3. Problem with generating Bookmarks in PDF document from a FrameMaker

4. Dynamic Linking

5. Generating PDF with properly structured bookmarks from FrameMaker 5.5.6

6. Risk assessments

7. FrameMaker 5.5.x cannot open Adobe FrameMaker 6.0 Classroom in a Book Tutorial Files

8. Cant generate PDF file from FrameMaker PS file

9. Bookmarks not being generated for last doc in book

10. Turning FrameMaker bookmarks in a PS file to PDFmarks in PDF?

11. Bookmarks in a Post Script generated file

12. pulling bookmarks from other files in the book