Help!: Layering two PDF's into one && Using one PDF as a template

Help!: Layering two PDF's into one && Using one PDF as a template

Post by Kars Velin » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

hi Everyone,

I'm building a website were users can customize PDF files (and preview
them). If they want to, they can let the website send the customized PDF
file to a printshop.

I let the organization build two PDF's:

1. "Background lots-of-bytes PDf file"
2. "Foreground only-some-words on some places PDF file"

(why do I use two files: Now I only need to send the small 2. file to the
print-office, so I don't need to RIP the 1. file every time I issue a
printjob....)

The user can only change the 'some-words' in the 2. file.
Therefore, I need to build/find something to:

a. Use 1. as a background, and layer 2. on-top of 1., so I can show a
preview in some way (a GIF or JPEG)
b. change the words in the 2. file.
    Eg.: in the template, there are three words to be customized: %1, %2 and
%3
So, I need to replace the %1 with the word entered by my website user.

Let's say that the %1, %2 and %3 are only shown horizontal etc., so that the
"%1" should be easily found in the PDF file....
Can I use a Delphi / C++ routine to just replace %1 with the right word?
Will the X,Y position be correctly?

Currently, I am thinking of the following:

Function a.: render the two PDF files to something like EPS, then render the
EPS to the right raster-format, then export to GIF or JPG

Function b.: Maybe a replace function in the binary file, but I don't know
enough from the PDF structure to see all the pro's and con's.

Help!: Layering two PDF's into one && Using one PDF as a template

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I feel you may have taken the wrong approach in using a separate PDF
for the text layer. This application may be ideally suited to using
PDF forms since
1. Form fields can easily be copied from one document to another
(copy/paste)
2. Form fields are easily editable within the limited range of fonts
3. Filled in forms can be exported and imported
4. Development libraries exist to create or read FDF files, which
define the filled-in forms.

Editing and merging PDF files in the way you have led the development
is far from easy. Programmatic text replacement is especially awkward.
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

Help!: Layering two PDF's into one && Using one PDF as a template

Post by Kars Velin » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Thankx

The problem that I (preferably) need to split the large 'background'-layer
from the customized text-layer, so that I don't need to send the large layer
over the Internet to the printshop.
Also, for performance reasons, we need to pre-RIP the large documents: the
actual printing needs to be speedy because of how the digital press works...

> I feel you may have taken the wrong approach in using a separate PDF
> for the text layer. This application may be ideally suited to using
> PDF forms since
> 1. Form fields can easily be copied from one document to another
> (copy/paste)
> 2. Form fields are easily editable within the limited range of fonts
> 3. Filled in forms can be exported and imported
> 4. Development libraries exist to create or read FDF files, which
> define the filled-in forms.

> Editing and merging PDF files in the way you have led the development
> is far from easy. Programmatic text replacement is especially awkward.
> ---------------------------------------

> Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

Help!: Layering two PDF's into one && Using one PDF as a template

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Thankx

>The problem that I (preferably) need to split the large 'background'-layer
>from the customized text-layer, so that I don't need to send the large layer
>over the Internet to the printshop.
>Also, for performance reasons, we need to pre-RIP the large documents: the
>actual printing needs to be speedy because of how the digital press works...

You can export the form data and import it to a blank PDF with the
same form fields...

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/