OLE automation and Acrobat Reader

Post by Andrea Mariottin » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:54:23

I'm trying to ole-automate Acrobat Reader (vers. 5.1).
What I want to do is instantiate a "AFormAut.App" object,
find fields and enter text in them.

Forms api are installed, but when I call createobject("AFormAut.App")
the system say it can find this object type.
I tried to create "AcroExch.App", "AcroExch.PDDoc" and "AcroExch.AVDoc"
objects and it works, but I can't replace text with these.

I uninstalled Reader 5.1 and installed vers.6:
now even "AcroExch.App", "AcroExch.PDDoc" and "AcroExch.AVDoc" doesn't
exist.

Please can anyone put me on the right way?

--
Andrea Mariottini

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:01:40

>I'm trying to ole-automate Acrobat Reader (vers. 5.1).
>What I want to do is instantiate a "AFormAut.App" object,
>find fields and enter text in them.

According to the Acrobat SDK, Acrobat, not Reader is required for all
OLE automation.   There seems to have been a bug in Reader 5.1, in
that it did have limited OLE support, but this has been fixed.

So, you need to start by buying Acrobat. You may also need to join ASN
to get the updated SDK.

1. OLE commands for Adobe Acrobat Reader

I'm trying to launch Adobe Acrobat Reader from within another
application (Reflections 4 terminal emulator).  The R4 package supports
a language called Reflections Basic, which supports OLE.  Here's a
sample Reflections Basic program that launches IE4 for a particular URL:

Sub Main
        Dim browser As Object
        Dim url As String
        url = "http:/www.yahoo.com"
        Set browser = CreateObject("internetexplorer.application")
        browser.Visible = True
        browser.Navigate url
End Sub

I want to launch Adobe Acrobat Reader on a particular file, but I need
to know the proper OLE commands.  I've checked out Adobe's and WRQ's
(R4 vendor) websites to no avail.

I've tried something like the following:

1 Sub Main
2         Dim acrobat_app As Object
3         Dim infile As String
4         infile = "C:\EXAMPLE\TEST.PDF"
5         Set acrobat_app = CreateObject("adobereader.application")
6         acrobat_app.Visible = True
7         acrobat_app.Find infile
8 End Sub

I need to know the OLE name of the Adobe reader (line 5), and the
method that will open a particular file (line 7).

Thanks for any help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. print notesheet/tabulature from MIDI-file

3. Acrobat reader 3.0 OLE dokumentation needed. !

4. AT commands

5. Acrobat not terminating properly through ole automation

6. ISDN + Modem PPP

7. Acrobat OLE Automation

8. Pentium III motherboards

9. Strange OLE automation error with Acrobat 4

10. OLE Automation for the Acrobat Forms plug-in

11. Where can I get information on OLE Automation for Acrobat Exchange?

12. Acrobat OLE Automation: July VBPJ

13. Acrobat Capture 3.0 OLE automation problems