Printing PDF files on HP Color Laserjet 4500

Printing PDF files on HP Color Laserjet 4500

Post by Mar » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:59:22

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a repost, but I don't think my first went through.

We are having problems printing pdf files to our HP color laserjet 4500.
The files we have trouble with are scientific articles downloaded from
the journals (online subscriptions). Some pages of some articles will
print with one or several large black dots (2-4 inches in diameter) on
one or more pages. Happens consistently with that file with the dots
showing up on the same page each time. The dots do not show up when we
print to our HP laserjet 5P. We are printing from Adobe Acrobat 4.05.

Has anyone seen this problem?  It never happens with pdf files we create
ourselves.

Thanks!

Mary

Post by Helge Blischk » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:46:04

> Hi all,

> Sorry if this is a repost, but I don't think my first went through.

> We are having problems printing pdf files to our HP color laserjet 4500.
> The files we have trouble with are scientific articles downloaded from
> the journals (online subscriptions). Some pages of some articles will
> print with one or several large black dots (2-4 inches in diameter) on
> one or more pages. Happens consistently with that file with the dots
> showing up on the same page each time. The dots do not show up when we
> print to our HP laserjet 5P. We are printing from Adobe Acrobat 4.05.

> Has anyone seen this problem?  It never happens with pdf files we create
> ourselves.

> Thanks!

> Mary

This might be due to embedded fonts that have an "unusual" notation of
the FontBBox
(e.g. 1E-3 instead ov 0.001). Some PS interpreters simply skip the
exponential part of this
kind of real number notation,'.

To settle this issue, could you post an URL to a sample PDF ?

Helge
--

Printing PDF files on HP Color Laserjet 4500

Post by Robert Anders » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 02:32:56

I have seen this occur with home-made fonts. Check and
see if there are any unusual Type-3 fonts in the problem
page such as special symbols or reversed fonts.

You may be able to isolate the problem font using the
Enfoucus PitStop plug-in.

However, I believe the HP 4500 uses clone PostScript
whereas the HP 5P is real Adobe PostScript.

If so, my SWAG is a compatibility problem between
HP's clone PostScript interpreter and a font used in
the articles.

FYI> This type of problem is not unusual with clones.

Regards,
Bob Anderson

> Hi all,

> Sorry if this is a repost, but I don't think my first went through.

> We are having problems printing pdf files to our HP color laserjet 4500.
> The files we have trouble with are scientific articles downloaded from
> the journals (online subscriptions). Some pages of some articles will
> print with one or several large black dots (2-4 inches in diameter) on
> one or more pages. Happens consistently with that file with the dots
> showing up on the same page each time. The dots do not show up when we
> print to our HP laserjet 5P. We are printing from Adobe Acrobat 4.05.

> Has anyone seen this problem?  It never happens with pdf files we create
> ourselves.

> Thanks!

> Mary

1. Color printing problem on HP Color LaserJet 4500

My drawing includes a number of Boundary shapes from the Enterprise
Application stencil painted in different colors. When I print the drawing on
HP Color LaserJet 4500, most of the shapes are fine, but some have white
horizontal gap in the place that supposed to be filled. Black-and-white HP
LaserJet 5P prints with no problems. Any clues are welcome.

Eliyahu

2. Backup

3. Incomplete Printout | FrameMaker with HP Color LaserJet 4500

4. RootOf

5. Printing quickly to a HP laserjet (HP Laserjet on ethernet?)

6. USA v. Microsoft: Where?

7. What causes fading (inkjet printout)?

8. How to duplex printing PDF files in Acroread 2.1 (Solaris) with HP LaserJet 4ML?

9. HP LaserJet 6p drivers dont print PDF 5 files

10. HP 4500 colour laser users?

11. Duplex printing PDF in AcRead 2.x (Solaris) with HP LaserJet 4ML?

12. Adobe PDF print problem on NT 4, to HP laserjet 4