Distiller for SunOS 4.1.x

Post by David Ben » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 22:05:33

Quote:>Acrobat Distiller on my Quadra is very useful, but also quite slow.
>Last I checked I could not find a SunOS Distiller. Is there such a
>thing?

Yes.  Actually, it's for Solaris 1.1 (aka 4.1.3) only, but it does work.

--
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=-+

| David Benua           |  are condemned to repeat it.               |
+====================================================================+

Distiller for SunOS 4.1.x

Post by Chris Daws » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 05:16:04

: >Acrobat Distiller on my Quadra is very useful, but also quite slow.
: >Last I checked I could not find a SunOS Distiller. Is there such a
: >thing?
: Yes.  Actually, it's for Solaris 1.1 (aka 4.1.3) only, but it does work.

Is this in the public domain? And if so, where?

Distiller for SunOS 4.1.x

Post by Farshad Naye » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 02:44:24

Acrobat Distiller on my Quadra is very useful, but also quite slow.
Last I checked I could not find a SunOS Distiller. Is there such a
thing?

This may be a good excuse to upgrade to PowerMacs...

Thanks, -- Farshad
--
Farshad Nayeri

Distiller for SunOS 4.1.x

Post by Dan Cra » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 03:51:31

Adobe sells a Unix Acrobat Distiller which runs on SunOS 4.1.3 and Solaris 2.3
(in compatibility mode).  The 1.0 version is the latest we've shipped.

There is a "distill" command which will distill specified PS files or act as a
filter.  There is also a "distilld" daemon which will monitor specified
directories for PS files to distill.  The expectation is that Unix users will
prefer the synchronous distill command, while Mac/Windows users wanting access
to a fast Distiller will use the monitored directories feature of the daemon.

1. HP DAT drives on SunOS 4.1.x

Has anyone seen (and solved) file-skipping performance problems of
HP 35480A (DAT+DDS) drives on Suns (4.1.1)?

I have several of these drives, on Suns and DecStations, but the ones on
Suns are far, far slower on skipping files. For example, a user had a
tape with several hundred files on it, each a couple of MB. To skip 10
of them (using mt fsf) took ~60 secs, while on a DecStation  with the
identical drive, it took ~5 seconds. During the skipping on the Sun, the
tape could be heard stopping and starting.

I should add that I have installed a kernel patch posted to comp.periphs
some months ago so that the device is recognized correctly at boot time,
and does not default to an unbuffered mode. The flags added to the
/usr/sys/scsi/targets/stconf.c file are:

  (ST_VARIABLE | ST_BSF | ST_BSR | ST_LONG_ERASE | ST_AUTODEN_OVERRIDE),

This has made the write performance what it should be, but it appears
that there may be another flag required for file skipping. The driver
seems to do some kind of resync for each file mark.

Does anyone have more information?

--
Bill Wyatt, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)
    UUCP :  {husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt

2. SysPrep Image & Drivers

3. SunOS 4.1 & vi

4. Memory mapped files in ring 0 ?

5. SNMP daemon for SunOS 4.1

6. Benchmark linux

7. So much for kerberos in SunOS 4.1 (inside the US)

8. free atari stuff for a good home

9. Help: Build MIT Kerberos V5 on sunos 4.1.x machine

10. Building Kerberos for SunOS 4.1.x - Help!

11. \TimeZoneComp in Medley 1.15 on Sparcstation 1 running SunOS 4.1

12. Some Comments on Building Ptolemy0.5 on Sparc SunOS 4.1.X (gcc)