adobe acrobat for unix: password for pdf files possible?

adobe acrobat for unix: password for pdf files possible?

Post by Marcel Niedere » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

hi out there,

does exchange for unix allow to specify an "open password" and a
"security password" on
the command line to modify an existing pdf file ?
(like you can do in the "save as...->security" dialog of the windows
version)
(i dont have the unix version, yet.)

i am thinking of something like that:
acrobat -password secret -securitypassword conditential old.pdf new.pdf

important is, that is has to be on the command line (because it has to
be part of
a batch process)

of much help would also be the part of the manual describing the
possible command
line parameters of exchange and distiller (for unix).

thank you folks,
marcel

Post by Aandi Inst » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>does exchange for unix allow to specify an "open password" and a
>"security password" on
>the command line to modify an existing pdf file ?
>(like you can do in the "save as...->security" dialog of the windows
>version)
>(i dont have the unix version, yet.)

No version of Exchange or Reader has a command line interface for
passwords.

Quote:

>of much help would also be the part of the manual describing the
>possible command
>line parameters of exchange and distiller (for unix).

The help files are cross platform, so if you have the Windows version
it is described there.
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

adobe acrobat for unix: password for pdf files possible?

Post by Kai Rohrbach » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

Quote:> No version of Exchange or Reader has a command line interface for
> passwords.

BTW: Is there *any* command line interface at all (apart from supplying
the PDF-filename to load, that is?)

adobe acrobat for unix: password for pdf files possible?

Post by John Doher » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[re: unix acrobat]

| BTW: Is there *any* command line interface at all (apart from supplying
| the PDF-filename to load, that is?)

Yep. Try "acroread -help" to see what it is.

Post by Aandi Inst » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Hi!

>> No version of Exchange or Reader has a command line interface for
>> passwords.
>BTW: Is there *any* command line interface at all (apart from supplying
>the PDF-filename to load, that is?)

In Unix: read the help file.

In Windows: there is no official command line interface. What is there
is only to support shell actions (like double click, right
click-print, and drag-to-printer). See
http://beta1.adobe.com/ada/acrosdk for the Developer FAQ.

Command lines are a very bad way to use Acrobat, in general. There are
many other interfaces, including the Windows standard ShellExecute.
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

1. Product:Adobe Acrobat/Problem:Annotating PDF Files

Gang:

My employer creates images of forms (graphics, text, etc...) using
a graphics package.  I can get each image into Postscript format
with no problem, and I can create a PDF file with Distiller.  So, far
no problem.

Here's the problem:  Employees then print out the forms and annotate
them by hand (snail notes?), but we want to eliminate the paper waste.
I can use Adobe Exchange to place those small notes on each page, but I
find them to be ugly.  What I really want is to be able to add text in
any font in any pointsize to a PDF file.  I have been unsuccessful in
locating such a product.

Does anyone know of a product (windows preferably) that takes Postscript
or PDF files and allows you to annotate them with extra text?  Will
the next version of Adobe Exchange have this in it?

Yes, I could create a "bitmap" and have them write text on it, as
in Microsoft Paint, or other "paint" program. That's not what I want to
do.

(I really don't want to attempt to write a Visual Basic application; I
have so little hair as it is that I want to keep the few remaining
precious strands.)

Any help would be "mondo" greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Scott
--
The opinions expressed in this communication are my own,
  and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

2. SMS 2.0 Error Msg

3. Product: Adobe Acrobat/Problem: Annotating PDF Files

4. Q: Map Generation

5. Printing Adobe Acrobat .PDF Files Through VB Code

6. Strike gives GM golden opportunity

7. Adobe Acrobat 5 - Error opening pdf file?

8. Memory Leaks

9. Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Exporting EDITED PDF files to Postscript

10. Adobe Acrobat 2.1 Compression Options for PDF files

11. Adobe Acrobat PDF Files in Batch Mode

12. HELP: Adobe Type manager, Adobe Sans MM, Adobe Serif MM, Acrobat Distiller

13. Acrobat 4 Reader can't accurately print Acrobat PDF files