Problems with Catalog on Mac & PC

Post by Elisabeth Sowerbutt » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am trying to catalog 463 documents on a NT server over a Novell
network from either a Mac 8.X or Win95 machine.  I can catalog 461
documents but 2 fail with a fatal error

CATALOG caused a general protection fault
in module COMPCORE.DLL at 0003:00000085.
Registers: etc

Moving the 2 offending documents 2 my local hard-drive reproduces the
problem.  Only cataloging the 2 documents reproduces the problem.  The
files dont appear corrupted - they can be printed & viewed and are
totally ordinary files of average length (89 and 150 pages).  Has anyone
got any bright ideas - I cant find anything on the faq's on adobe.com or
the help documentation.

Thanks in advance

Post by Arved Sandstr » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am trying to catalog 463 documents on a NT server over a Novell
> network from either a Mac 8.X or Win95 machine.  I can catalog 461
> documents but 2 fail with a fatal error

> CATALOG caused a general protection fault
> in module COMPCORE.DLL at 0003:00000085.
> Registers: etc

> Moving the 2 offending documents 2 my local hard-drive reproduces the
> problem.  Only cataloging the 2 documents reproduces the problem.  The
> files dont appear corrupted - they can be printed & viewed and are
> totally ordinary files of average length (89 and 150 pages).  Has anyone
> got any bright ideas - I cant find anything on the faq's on adobe.com or
> the help documentation.

> Thanks in advance

What is the provenance of these two documents? I.e. what workflow produced them?

It's useful to know sometimes. For example, if using Capture Reviewer 2
(not 2.0.1), if you delete a page the page count is not adjusted. A PDF
from *this* ACD then thinks it has one more page then is really there.
This is just one example.

The odds that the files *aren't* corrupted in some way is less than that
Catalog is breaking on them. I think there are probably some tools out
there, maybe on www.pdfzone.com, that will diagnose a PDF file for you. (I
wrote my own perl scripts to do this, so I don't know).

Obvious ultimate solution: don't include these 2 documents as they are.
:-) Worst comes to worst, recreate. Also, you might find out more looking
at them with Exchange vice Reader. Using Extract Pages in Exchange you can
even use the time-honoured "divide-by-two's" technique to narrow down what
chunk of the file is the offending one.

Arved

Post by Winfried Rü » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I am trying to catalog 463 documents on a NT server over a Novell
> > network from either a Mac 8.X or Win95 machine.  I can catalog 461
> > documents but 2 fail with a fatal error

> > CATALOG caused a general protection fault
> > in module COMPCORE.DLL at 0003:00000085.
> > Registers: etc

> > Moving the 2 offending documents 2 my local hard-drive reproduces the
> > problem.  Only cataloging the 2 documents reproduces the problem.  The
> > files dont appear corrupted - they can be printed & viewed and are
> > totally ordinary files of average length (89 and 150 pages).  Has anyone
> > got any bright ideas - I cant find anything on the faq's on adobe.com or
> > the help documentation.

> > Thanks in advance

> What is the provenance of these two documents? I.e. what workflow
produced them?

> It's useful to know sometimes. For example, if using Capture Reviewer 2
> (not 2.0.1), if you delete a page the page count is not adjusted. A PDF
> from *this* ACD then thinks it has one more page then is really there.
> This is just one example.

> The odds that the files *aren't* corrupted in some way is less than that
> Catalog is breaking on them. I think there are probably some tools out
> there, maybe on www.pdfzone.com, that will diagnose a PDF file for you. (I
> wrote my own perl scripts to do this, so I don't know).

> Obvious ultimate solution: don't include these 2 documents as they are.
> :-) Worst comes to worst, recreate. Also, you might find out more looking
> at them with Exchange vice Reader. Using Extract Pages in Exchange you can
> even use the time-honoured "divide-by-two's" technique to narrow down what
> chunk of the file is the offending one.

> Arved

Hi,

I do have nearly the same problem with Adobe capture on my PC with a
miroCrystal graphic board. When I try to capture a scanned file in Adobe
Exchange with Capture, I get the message:
CAPSERV caused a general protection fault in module miro.drv at xxxxx.

Is there a solution for this problem?

I do have the newest miro driver installed.

Thanks in advance,

Winfried.