6.0 questions

Post by Barbara Whit » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:11:13

We just installed Acrobat 6.0 and I have a question.

 From 6.0, you can choose File/Create PDF/From File.

Is this the same as opening the Distiller and dragging a .ps or a .prn
file onto it?  (Or, perhaps, does the the File/Create PDF/From File
option use the PDFWriter? I never like using the PDFWriter because it
often munches my fonts.)

Thanks for any info.

Barbara

6.0 questions

Post by Aandi Inst » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:29:23

>We just installed Acrobat 6.0 and I have a question.

> From 6.0, you can choose File/Create PDF/From File.

>Is this the same as opening the Distiller and dragging a .ps or a .prn
>file onto it?

Only if the file is a PostScript file.

Otherwise, it is different, case by case.

Some things, like image formats (TIFF, BMP etc.) are built in to
Acrobat. It converts them directly. This is also true of HTML.

In other cases,  it knows how to talk to the relevant application -
Word, Powerpoint, Visio, AutoCAD, etc.

Otherwise, so far as I can see, it gives up.

PDFWriter is never used - it is now dead, not included with Acrobat
6.0.

6.0 questions

Post by Max Khesi » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 05:20:30

Quote:> In other cases,  it knows how to talk to the relevant application -
> Word, Powerpoint, Visio, AutoCAD, etc.

Can you elaborate? It appears that Acrobat uses a combination of distiller
and some kind of 'talking' to take care of such things as MSWord index. I am
curious as to what kind of talking is done; is there more info available?
thanks,
max.

6.0 questions

Post by Aandi Inst » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:20:45

>> In other cases,  it knows how to talk to the relevant application -
>> Word, Powerpoint, Visio, AutoCAD, etc.

>Can you elaborate? It appears that Acrobat uses a combination of distiller
>and some kind of 'talking' to take care of such things as MSWord index. I am
>curious as to what kind of talking is done; is there more info available?

No, none; and although various vestiges may be visible because OLE is
a fairly public interface, none are supported or documented.

A plug-in can use the "ToPDF" methods in Acrobat, with some
struggling; these use the same methods as the Open As PDF function.

1. QPW 6.0 question re: in-cell text formatting

I was thinking of moving to Quattro Pro 6.0 from Excel.  One very
appealing EXCEL strength for me, however, is in-cell text formatting
(such as superscripts and subscripts and font changes etc.).  In
addition, I want to be able to wrap text in a cell (i.e. multiple
lines for a single cell).  Is this possible in QPW 6.0? Thanks
in advance.

Daryl Macomb

2. NCR-SCSI and Warp

3. MSN 6.0 Question

4. HP 4470 negative scan colour balance?

5. MSN 6.0 questions

6. Using different interfaces!?

7. LAM/MPI 6.0 question about mpirun

8. HELP... A2630 and booting PAL...