PDF------> Quark

Post by Bo » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I posted the same question some weeks ago asking if there were a plugin
for Quark (3.3) so I could inport a pdf file to print it.

someone responded by sujesting I use Acrobat 4 which can print odd or even
pages. I down loaded and have tried it. Seems to work; however I'm using a
hewlett pakard 550c to print on and it will only spool to disk ten pages
at a time and seems to insist on puting a tint on the whole page meaning
that a page takes about 2.5 mins or more to print. I have tried making
'full screen' a custom setting and setting all to zero values which seemed
to work but the problem came back.

Since using Acro 4 I have had four crashes this from a mashine that dosn't
crash very often at all ( touch wood)

So to ask again does any one know of a plug in for quark so I can import
to print a long doc.

PDF------> Quark

Post by Richard K Bethe » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

> I posted the same question some weeks ago asking if there were a plugin
> for Quark (3.3) so I could inport a pdf file to print it.

Sometimes it is better not to presuppose the right tool for the job.

I think you may want to step back from this and look at it from the
viewpoint of the end goal (and I don't know what that is.)

Are you trying to:

- Print with features not in the standard Acro print dialog?
- Place a graphic in a preexisting Quark doc?
- Modify a preexisting PDF doc for which there is no source in some way?

For each of the above business problems, there are better solutions than
Quark imports (although the solutions are specific to each problem.)
Remember that PDF is intended as a *final* PostScript-like format, and
imports-interpretations in programs like Quark were never really intended
for PDF when Adobe conceived it.

Problem 1 (identified above:)

- If you need to print with capabilities not in Acrobat 3 (I'm assuming to
PostScript), CrackerJack from LantanaRIPs is an acro-tool with an extensive
PostScript export feature, comparable to the output options available in
Quark.

Even/Odd page printing is also something that can be accomplished with
imposition tools, but that may be overkill.

Problem 2:

Quark has temporarily removed it, but will likely post it again soon - the
PDF Filter. http://www.quark.com/files/xtquarkxts_40.html

Problem 3:

Illustrator and Photoshop can open PDF files. Illustrator will even let
you save back into the multi-page stream with minimal disruption. EnFocus
has an Acrobat plug-in called PitStop 4.0 that gives you massive
editability right in Acrobat 4.0.

--

  Eat the hand that feeds you.
* http://www.ncf.ca/ |  NCF Website Team Coordinator

PDF------> Quark

Post by John Doher » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> So to ask again does any one know of a plug in for quark so I can import
> to print a long doc.

QuarkXPress offers almost no support for PDF. They used to have an XTension
at their web site that would allow you to import PDFs, but only one page at
a time, and they removed it, anyway. So whatever you're trying to do with
WXP and PDF isn't going to happen.

PDF------> Quark

Post by Glade G. Schroete » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

The simplest thing to do would be to export the pdf page as eps and import
that into your Quark document. The pdf extention that Quark offered crashed
most of the time so I believe that is why they removed it from their web
page.