Thumbnail creation via Exchange

Post by Darrell Elve » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Since Adobe (in their infinite wisdom) removed the create thumbnail
options from Distill and moved it to Exchange, I can no longer create
thumbnails automatically. I run HPUX and distill lots of files and our
user group likes thumbnails but I don't want to open Exchange and do it
for every file.

Has anybody figured out a way to do this so I don't have to go back to
distilling files on a PC with V2. ?

Darrell Elven
Caterpillar.inc

Post by Aandi Inst » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Since Adobe (in their infinite wisdom) removed the create thumbnail
>options from Distill and moved it to Exchange, I can no longer create
>thumbnails automatically. I run HPUX and distill lots of files and our
>user group likes thumbnails but I don't want to open Exchange and do it
>for every file.

Batch Optimize can add thumbnails to a folder-full of directories.

Visit http://ds.dial.pipex.com/quite/psintro.htm for information on
PostScript, including EPS in 10 easy stages.

Thumbnail creation via Exchange

Post by Michael Suedka » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Since Adobe (in their infinite wisdom) removed the create thumbnail
> options from Distill and moved it to Exchange, I can no longer create
> thumbnails automatically. I run HPUX and distill lots of files and our
> user group likes thumbnails but I don't want to open Exchange and do it
> for every file.

If this is true also for the Windows Distiller this is too bad. With
version 2 the Exchange created thumbnails cannot reach by far the quality
of the Distiller created ones (at least not in our case with line art
drawings).

Michael
--

Post by Darrell Elve » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> >Since Adobe (in their infinite wisdom) removed the create thumbnail
> >options from Distill and moved it to Exchange, I can no longer create
> >thumbnails automatically. I run HPUX and distill lots of files and our
> >user group likes thumbnails but I don't want to open Exchange and do it
> >for every file.

> Batch Optimize can add thumbnails to a folder-full of directories.

> Visit http://ds.dial.pipex.com/quite/psintro.htm for information on
> PostScript, including EPS in 10 easy stages.

########
Sorry that does NOT help. I want to do this in a production environment
where the files come in one-at-a-time and then are loaded into a
database (no modifications) once they are processed. Using Batch
Optimize still requires manual intervention.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I may be able to do some sort of
off-shift batch loading. Clumsy, but doable.

Darrell Elven

Post by Aliso » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Since Adobe (in their infinite wisdom) removed the create thumbnail
> > options from Distill and moved it to Exchange, I can no longer create
> > thumbnails automatically. I run HPUX and distill lots of files and our
> > user group likes thumbnails but I don't want to open Exchange and do it
> > for every file.

I am 500% in agreement, Michael!

However, if you do a batch distill and put all the resulting pdfs into
one directory, you can then use Exchange to "Batch Optimise" all the
files in the directory, including creating thumbnails.

There are some interesting "features" here.  If you turn thumbnails
on (in Batch Optimise), you don't get any thumbnails.  If you turn
thumbnails OFF, it creates the thumbnails...  ;-)  Also, it gets
a little confused if the directory contains files other than .pdf
(so move any .ps or .log files out of there first) and falls over if
you try to Batch Optimise a file that is already open...

I use a script like this from the directory I'm working in: the
resulting
pdfs-with-thumbnails are found in the "Distill" directory:

cp ./*.ps /home/alison/Projects/Distill
/opt/Acrobat3/bin/distill /home/alison/Projects/Distill/*ps
rm /home/alison/Projects/Distill/*.ps
mv /home/alison/Projects/Distill/*.log /home/alison/logs
echo "Starting Exchange... use Batch Optimise on
/home/alison/Projects/Distill/"
/opt/Acrobat3/bin/acroexch &

Hope this helps,

Alison
HP Grenoble, France

1. thumbnail creation from jpeg/bmp

Hi,

I wish to create thumbnail images from both jpeg and bmp files. At this
stage only mono but colour later. Does anybody have a MSC callable
function(s) that can do this? I am using the Independent JPEG library for
bmp compression/decompression now but it doesn't support thumbnails.

Something like:

CreateThumbnailfromJpg("file.jpg","thumb.jpg")   ?

and

CreateThumbnailfromBmp("file.bmp","thumb.jpg")   ?

thanks in advance.

Clive

2. Video Toaster Product Mailing list

3. Selective creation of thumbnails

4. DATABASE PROGRAMMER WANTED

5. PDF thumbnails creation

6. How can I generate 4DOS.INI, 4START, and 4EXIT files?

7. Improving thumbnail quality created with Exchange?

8. AMPlay 1.52 Released

9. creating thumbnails via shell API

10. Thumbnail View thumbnail dimensions - where can you get/set these?

11. CSV database creation via DBI?

12. snmp table creation / Static Entry Creation

13. Dialog creation from resource failed or Control creation failed