Printing problems with pdf

Post by Christian Hank » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:31:29

Can you give us a piece of advice?

We have so far printed our booklets (black/white, layout: Winword 95)
the "old-fashioned way" using a Postscript-printer driver and having
a company doing films. Everything was fine, the results have been
excellent.

Now we've switched to PDF and that's where the trouble starts:
Screenshots sometimes get "anti-aliasing" effects, they do not
look sharp any more. The funny thing is: only some of the images look
washed out, most pictures are fine, however.

Furthermore some font-properties seem to have get lost. I know
that each font has at least 4 cuts (I don't know the right word). But
only "standard" Times, Helvetica and Courier show, the properties
italics or bold, however, look awful.

We are using Acrobat 4 and 5 and Windows 2000. We would
like to keep Winword 95 as our "layout-program". Yes, we do
check our PDF-files beforehand, but on our computers they look fine.

Do you have any idea what to keep in mind? Do we need some
additional software or special Type 1 fonts?

Thanks for your help!

Christian

Printing problems with pdf

Post by Dan Sidee » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 07:39:39

Anyone who uses Word for a layout program needs all the help they can get!!

Sounds like your problems have to do with resolution and font inclusion.
Check your Distiller settings:job options. You should ensure that "download
all fonts" is checked, and that your compression settings are appropriate
for your output device.

[...]

1. Printing Problem Resolution, PDF to HP4/5

Issue: White text over a dark background in a PDF
will show o.k. on screen but not print on a HP
Laserjet 4 or 5 ... using PCL (no Postscript
Printers)...                   Solution:
Referring to Adobe's support document Nr. 312010 -

http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/so
lutions/512a.htm... I also had to change
the "GRAPHICS" option in the Printer Setup
to: "Use Raster Graphics" ... this and the Font
setting "Print True Type AS Graphics" solved the
problem for me.
Good luck !

I hope this will help ... since it drove me
almost crazy :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

3. Help reviewing PDF newsletter problem onscreen looks good but print copy has problems

4. WTB: IIe enhancement kit or enhanced system

5. Help reviewing PDF newsletter problem onscreen looks good but print vers has problems

6. Incomplete page printing in IE5

7. Printing problems with a pdf file with scanned pages-HELP!

8. Anyone get their 14Mhz 65816 chips?

9. PDF Print Defaulting / Forcing Color Print - Xerox Tektronix Phaser 850DP

10. PDF printing problem!!

11. Problem printing my PDF files

12. Still can't print Encrypted PDF w/ Print = Fully Allowed

13. Problem printing PDF files