Print PDF files from command line?

Post by Nigel Parke » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find it on Dejanews...

I want to print a PDF file from the command line. That is, send a PDF file
to a printer without having to open the file in the Reader. Is this possible
with GS or Acrobat itself?

Thanks in advance,
Nigel Parker

--
Nigel Parker
OnlineInfo

Print PDF files from command line?

Post by jthu.. » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Yes this is possible.
At the command prompt type

acrobat /p <pdf filename>    - This would bring up a print dialog box.

acrobat /t <pdf filename> <printername> <driver> <port>  - This would
print to the specified printer without invoking the print dialog box,
however it pops up with a save dialog box(Yes, No, Cancel) after
printing. You can also use fdf files instead of pdf files for printing.
Make sure you enclose the printername, driver and post name within
double quotes.

Also make sure acrobat is set in the path.

Jay

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Print PDF files from command line?

Post by Jose Torre » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Yes, you can print plain pdf documents from the command line using GS tools &
GsView
I recommend you to download the both softwares, because they are very handy and
useful indeed. I've found myself printing pdf documents when the Reader gives
print errors!
Go and look their website, and download it  (there's a freeware version for each
platform).
Look at the gstools documentation, there are plenty options for working from the
prompt line.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.html