Acrobat 4 for archiving maps?

Acrobat 4 for archiving maps?

Post by Stellactic » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00



We're looking at a solution for archiving a number of large maps that exist
only on paper. We've been thinking that PDF might be the way to go cus for
one, everybody in our organization has the Reader installed on their system;
2, the files would be fairly small and 3; we could index everything. We'd
need to purchase a large format scanner for this task.

Is anybody out there doing this and if so, how is it working for you? If
you're not doing it, but have some thoughts/recommendations, I'd appreciate
hearing them too.

Thanks for your time.

Kim

 
 
 

Acrobat 4 for archiving maps?

Post by Feargal Hoga » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00


Hi
I presume that it is your intention to "capture" the files in Acrobat.
Can I suggest that you may find it more economical to have the maps scanned
by an third party specialist rather than purchasing a large format scanner.
Also I would not guarantee that the file sizes would be low. It depends on
how much information Capture can convert. Maps are notoriously difficult to
OCR. This is due to the rotated and ++++kern'ed text that is usually
present.
Capture will OCR any "text" that it can "recognise" and will be able to
index it. But if it cannot "recognise" it as text it will have great
difficulty being of any use.
If my memory serves me correctly it stores the scanned imag as an
uncompressed TIF internally and therefore the filesize will be quite large.
I think I would have a test scan done of a typical map and see what can be
achieved with taht before making any firm decisions

>We're looking at a solution for archiving a number of large maps that exist
>only on paper. We've been thinking that PDF might be the way to go cus for
>one, everybody in our organization has the Reader installed on their
system;
>2, the files would be fairly small and 3; we could index everything. We'd
>need to purchase a large format scanner for this task.

>Is anybody out there doing this and if so, how is it working for you? If
>you're not doing it, but have some thoughts/recommendations, I'd appreciate
>hearing them too.

>Thanks for your time.

>Kim


 
 
 

Acrobat 4 for archiving maps?

Post by Tore Hanso » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00


I recall reading "somewhere" that it is possible to create a Mosaic in order
to accomplish this task, but I can't remember where I saw the info.
Basically you large map would be divided into smaller sections that fit
together in a grid fashion.

Tore



> >We're looking at a solution for archiving a number of large maps that
exist
> >only on paper. We've been thinking that PDF might be the way to go cus
for
> >one, everybody in our organization has the Reader installed on their
> system;
> >2, the files would be fairly small and 3; we could index everything. We'd
> >need to purchase a large format scanner for this task.

> >Is anybody out there doing this and if so, how is it working for you? If
> >you're not doing it, but have some thoughts/recommendations, I'd
appreciate
> >hearing them too.

> >Thanks for your time.

> >Kim

 
 
 

Acrobat 4 for archiving maps?

Post by Arved Sandstr » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00




> I recall reading "somewhere" that it is possible to create a Mosaic in order
> to accomplish this task, but I can't remember where I saw the info.
> Basically you large map would be divided into smaller sections that fit
> together in a grid fashion.

> Tore

Assuming one takes care in scanning the original segments of the map,
there are some fairly decent "stitcher" applications out there (Visual
Stitcher, for example, $40 or $50 US).

It might actually also make more sense to leave the map in segments for
actual use, and create a lower-resolution index map for navigation. We
have used this approach with success.

Arved

 
 
 

Acrobat 4 for archiving maps?

Post by pp » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00


If you only want to scan a single map, You'd better go and look for an A0 or
bigger size scan service. There are many of them, worldwide.

The following logic step is to vectorize it, and then manage it with any kind of
appropiate software.

Acrobat is not the tool for managing and editing as it has some problems:
- a limited paper size (I know it, I plotted a whole map to postscript and
distilled it, it has no room for certain scales)
- No line drawing or graphic capabilities
- No viewing tools

etc.

The only logic aplication involving acrobat and mapping is to produce the final
art for filming or distributing some graphic works

Arved Sandstrom escribi:



> > I recall reading "somewhere" that it is possible to create a Mosaic in order
> > to accomplish this task, but I can't remember where I saw the info.
> > Basically you large map would be divided into smaller sections that fit
> > together in a grid fashion.

> > Tore

> Assuming one takes care in scanning the original segments of the map,
> there are some fairly decent "stitcher" applications out there (Visual
> Stitcher, for example, $40 or $50 US).

> It might actually also make more sense to leave the map in segments for
> actual use, and create a lower-resolution index map for navigation. We
> have used this approach with success.

> Arved

 
 
 

1. Data Archiving - Overview | Data Archiving - Procedure - Data Archiving - SAP Tutorials

   <http://www.onestoptesting.com/> <http://www.onestopsap.com/>

*One Stop SAP has been developed to give all the information on Software
Testing in one place. This site contains the information on the following:*
 [image: Click here to join
OneStopTesting]<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OneStopSAP/join>

SAP Miscellaneous

 Join the thousands of professionals in more than 50 countries who are
expanding their horizons and building rewarding careers at SAP.

 Data Archiving <http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/>

   - * Data Archiving - Overview
   <http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/1.asp>*
    http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/1.asp

   - * Data Archiving - Basic Components
   <http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/2.asp>*
    http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/2.asp

   - * Data Archiving - Development Kit and ArchiveLink
   <http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/3.asp>*
    http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/3.asp

   - * Data Archiving - Procedure
   <http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/4.asp>*
    http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/4.asp

   - * Data Archiving - Support Tools-SARA, DART and SARI
   <http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/5.asp>*
    http://www.onestopsap.com/sap-miscellanous/5.asp

 *For  More  SAP Miscellaneous**  Click Here... <http://www.onestopsap.com/>
*   <http://www.onestopsap.com/>

2. ADV: eValid: A New Technology for WebSite Testing

3. NFS uid-map modifications available via archive server

4. Memory needed for Adobe Acrobat for PPC?

5. Searching for "+" - Acrobat Catalog Archives

6. Problem with Zlib and 'compress' compatibility

7. Using Acrobat on NT 4.0; FAQ; archive

8. Botkiller 2

9. WWW: DICOM Standard Archive with Hypertext, RTF, and Acrobat

10. Hardware map memory map of black hardware, anyone?

11. Lotus Map vs Excel Map

12. Map out the memory map ??