Product:Adobe Acrobat/Problem:Annotating PDF Files

Product:Adobe Acrobat/Problem:Annotating PDF Files

Post by Scott_L_Hech » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Gang:

My employer creates images of forms (graphics, text, etc...) using
a graphics package.  I can get each image into Postscript format
with no problem, and I can create a PDF file with Distiller.  So, far
no problem.

Here's the problem:  Employees then print out the forms and annotate
them by hand (snail notes?), but we want to eliminate the paper waste.
I can use Adobe Exchange to place those small notes on each page, but I
find them to be ugly.  What I really want is to be able to add text in
any font in any pointsize to a PDF file.  I have been unsuccessful in
locating such a product.

Does anyone know of a product (windows preferably) that takes Postscript
or PDF files and allows you to annotate them with extra text?  Will
the next version of Adobe Exchange have this in it?

Yes, I could create a "bitmap" and have them write text on it, as
in Microsoft Paint, or other "paint" program. That's not what I want to
do.

(I really don't want to attempt to write a Visual Basic application; I
have so little hair as it is that I want to keep the few remaining
precious strands.)

Any help would be "mondo" greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Scott
--
The opinions expressed in this communication are my own,
  and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Product:Adobe Acrobat/Problem:Annotating PDF Files

Post by Dennis D. Steinau » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> ...
> My employer creates images of forms (graphics, text, etc...) using
> a graphics package.  I can get each image into Postscript format
> with no problem, and I can create a PDF file with Distiller.  So, far
> no problem.

> Here's the problem:  Employees then print out the forms and annotate
> them by hand (snail notes?), but we want to eliminate the paper waste.
> I can use Adobe Exchange to place those small notes on each page, but I
> find them to be ugly.  What I really want is to be able to add text in
> any font in any pointsize to a PDF file.  I have been unsuccessful in
> locating such a product.

I have a similar need, so I'll add my note to this one. I would like
something that would, in addition to a basic annotation capability (as
mentioned in the previous posting), but would also permit adding
bookmarks (ideally, to which I can link from other programs) and, if
possible, the equivalent of yellow highlighting.

Dennis D. Steinauer,   National Institute of Standards and Technology
   Computer Security Division * 426 NIST North
   820 W. Diamond Ave. *  Gaithersburg, MD 20899

U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology

Product:Adobe Acrobat/Problem:Annotating PDF Files

Post by Mike Torren » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a similar need, so I'll add my note to this one. I would like
>something that would, in addition to a basic annotation capability (as
>mentioned in the previous posting), but would also permit adding
>bookmarks (ideally, to which I can link from other programs) and, if
>possible, the equivalent of yellow highlighting.
>--

You may want to check out Ambia (www.ambia.com). Last i checked, they
offered a product called Re:Mark which provides some of the
functionality that you have listed.

The preceding does not necessarily reflect my employer's opinion. No one
else ever agrees with me, what would make my employer different?
Mike Torrence

F.A. Davis (http://www.fadavis.com)

1. Product: Adobe Acrobat/Problem: Annotating PDF Files

[...]

2. Fax/Voice switch, VoiceMail, ...

3. Printing Adobe Acrobat .PDF Files Through VB Code

5. Adobe Acrobat 5 - Error opening pdf file?

6. HP DeskJet694C

7. Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Exporting EDITED PDF files to Postscript

8. comp.lang.forth FAQ: Forth Systems (4 of 7)

9. Adobe Acrobat 2.1 Compression Options for PDF files

10. adobe acrobat for unix: password for pdf files possible?

11. Adobe Acrobat PDF Files in Batch Mode

12. HELP: Adobe Type manager, Adobe Sans MM, Adobe Serif MM, Acrobat Distiller

13. problem printing n-up PDF with acrobat reader 3.02, adobe PS drivers 4.24 (Win 98)