Best way to save multiple PDF files into one PDF file?

Best way to save multiple PDF files into one PDF file?

Post by Pau » Fri, 30 May 2003 09:55:52

I have a few tens of PDF files and would like to save them into one PDF file.
I could use Insert Pages in Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to achieve this, but it is
very tedious because Adobe Acrobat 4.0 doesn't allow one to select multiple
PDF files for each insert. I found PDFMerge in pdfeverywhere.com that does
this job. Unfortunately this software is too expensive (US$120.00) to me
(perhaps because it does other things as well besides merging). Is there
any other cheaper ways to do just merging? Thanks for hints and help.

Paul.

Post by chri » Fri, 30 May 2003 20:35:19

> I have a few tens of PDF files and would like to save them into one PDF file.
> I could use Insert Pages in Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to achieve this, but it is
> very tedious because Adobe Acrobat 4.0 doesn't allow one to select multiple
> PDF files for each insert. I found PDFMerge in pdfeverywhere.com that does
> this job. Unfortunately this software is too expensive (US$120.00) to me
> (perhaps because it does other things as well besides merging). Is there
> any other cheaper ways to do just merging? Thanks for hints and help.

> Paul.

Good Day Paul -

You might want to habe a look at the iText PDF library.  The PdfReader
class can read and assemble document pages I believe.  The library
also comes with a tool called "concat_pdf" (a command line utility)
which can assemble documents.  I have used it before and found it to
work very well.  From the site:

"""
com.lowagie.tools.concat_pdf
This class can be used from the commandline to concatenate existing
PDF files.
arguments: the filenames of the PDF documents you want to concatenate,
followed by the filename of the destination file.
Command line example:
java -cp itext.jar com.lowagie.tools.concat_pdf Chap0101.pdf
Chap0102.pdf Chap0103.pdf result.pdf
"""

Visit iText here: http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

Regards,

chris

Post by JR Boula » Sat, 31 May 2003 03:41:12

> I have a few tens of PDF files and would like to save them into one
> PDF file. I could use Insert Pages in Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to achieve
> this, but it is very tedious because Adobe Acrobat 4.0 doesn't allow
> one to select multiple PDF files for each insert. I found PDFMerge in
> pdfeverywhere.com that does this job. Unfortunately this software is
> too expensive (US$120.00) to me (perhaps because it does other things
> as well besides merging). Is there any other cheaper ways to do just
> merging? Thanks for hints and help.

> Paul.

Upgrade to Acrobat 5.

JRB

Post by Pau » Sat, 31 May 2003 22:44:04

> > I have a few tens of PDF files and would like to save them into one PDF file.
> > I could use Insert Pages in Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to achieve this, but it is
> > very tedious because Adobe Acrobat 4.0 doesn't allow one to select multiple
> > PDF files for each insert. I found PDFMerge in pdfeverywhere.com that does
> > this job. Unfortunately this software is too expensive (US$120.00) to me
> > (perhaps because it does other things as well besides merging). Is there
> > any other cheaper ways to do just merging? Thanks for hints and help.

> > Paul.

> Good Day Paul -

> You might want to habe a look at the iText PDF library.  The PdfReader
> class can read and assemble document pages I believe.  The library
> also comes with a tool called "concat_pdf" (a command line utility)
> which can assemble documents.  I have used it before and found it to
> work very well.  From the site:

> """
> com.lowagie.tools.concat_pdf
> This class can be used from the commandline to concatenate existing
> PDF files.
> arguments: the filenames of the PDF documents you want to concatenate,
> followed by the filename of the destination file.
> Command line example:
> java -cp itext.jar com.lowagie.tools.concat_pdf Chap0101.pdf
> Chap0102.pdf Chap0103.pdf result.pdf
> """

> Visit iText here: http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the information on iText. I looked the site, but I
am not familiar with java and not sure whether I can use the
program in Windows98. I will take a further closer look at the
site to see if I can find answer.

Thanks.
Paul.

Post by Pau » Sat, 31 May 2003 22:53:13

> > I have a few tens of PDF files and would like to save them into one
> > PDF file. I could use Insert Pages in Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to achieve
> > this, but it is very tedious because Adobe Acrobat 4.0 doesn't allow
> > one to select multiple PDF files for each insert. I found PDFMerge in
> > pdfeverywhere.com that does this job. Unfortunately this software is
> > too expensive (US$120.00) to me (perhaps because it does other things
> > as well besides merging). Is there any other cheaper ways to do just
> > merging? Thanks for hints and help.

> > Paul.

> Upgrade to Acrobat 5.

Are you sure Acrobat 5 (and now Acrobat 6) can do this job quickly?
I was thinking about to upgrade my Acrobat and did not find a reason
for doing this. Now it may be a good reason.

Paul.