PDF files in a folder --> HTML links page

Post by Robert Myer » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

  >>Does anyone know of a program that will go through
  >>a folder of .PDF files, and create a 'simple text listing'
  >>Hypertext linked page in HTML?

  >>This would help create a web page that you then
  >>can 'click' on a text link, and *go back* and
  >>view the .PDF document in the plug-in reader.

Alexander Hopstein replied:

  Sorry I do not know any kind of program that works just like this. But
what I know is that
  Adobe has SiteMill implemented in the coming PageMill 3.0. And the new
PageMill is able
  to check, edit and analyse links in PDFs and with the management
functunality you get an
  overview, but no file I suppose.
  Since you said "simple text" I presume you are on a Mac. Unfortunately
the Mac-Version
  of PageMill 3.0 is not finished yet. This will take another month I
think.
  Check the Web-Site for more details.

I guess I not quite sure I'm getting my request out right, so here goes
again:

I currently have a program that runs against a folder/(sub-directory) of
.GIF or .JPEG type
files,
and creates a hypertexted listing in an HTML page *to* those files.

Like this

C:\images\1.gif ; 2.gif ; 3.gif ; 4.gif ; etc.

The HTML page that gets produced looks somewhat like this:

1.gif
2.gif
3.gif
4.gif    (all 'clickable' to then view the images from this page)

One program even creates 'little thumbnails' of each file inside the
HTML document!

So this is the request (restated):

Does anyone know of a program that will do this for .PDF files?!?!?

Do you realize how much time one could save creating the links?
I currently do this _by hand_ just to get the HTML links page written,
and it appears to be *A JOB FOR A COMPUTER* to do - and not me.

Help, and as always, thanks in advance!

Post by Richard Qui » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>--------------C8CFBD40694B17F21A92ADB5

>  >>Does anyone know of a program that will go through
>  >>a folder of .PDF files, and create a 'simple text listing'
>  >>Hypertext linked page in HTML?

A simple script in Perl or some other scripting language can do
this-e.g.,

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#
# ShowPDF.pl
#
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
#
print <<TopBoilerplate;
<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html">
   <TITLE>Class Handouts for Math 24</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H2><STRONG>Class Handouts for Math 24 in PDF format</STRONG></H2>
<HR>
<UL>
TopBoilerplate

{
  if ($F=~/\.pdf$/)
    {
     $t=index($F,".pdf");
     $FF=substr($F,0,$t);
     print "<LI>\n<A HREF=\"/Math_24/$F\">$FF</A>\n";
    }

Quote:}

print <<BottomBoilerplate;
</UL>

</BODY>
</HTML>
BottomBoilerplate

1. "HTML" Links in a .PDF File ---> How?

Dear All,
I have a .pdf file that contains a hyperlink. If I want to modify that
hyperlink can I just open it in let's say Word97, copy its link location
and change it? Thanks a lot in advacne.

--
Regards,
Shawn Tooryani

Visit my Righteous 3D II Hardware News at:
http://www.slip.net/~tooryani/righteous_3d_ii_page.htm

2. Spam filter

3. linking from pdf file to a page in another pdf file (on intranet)

4. Excel Question about If Statements and Combining Text and Values

5. >>FREE<< Web Pages/LINKS for Shareware Developers >>FREE<<

6. HELP: Microvitec Monitor and PSX.

7. Linking PDF's to HTML pages

8. client/server stew

9. link from PDF to HTML page - how to open in browser

10. html link to a specified pdf page

11. HTML link to PDF page

12. HTML to PDF Page Link

13. Linking to a specific page in a PDF from HTML in Internet Explorer