Acrobat 5 Forms for Acrobat Reader

Post by DC » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:35:45

I just made a simple timesheet as a form with Acrobat 5. Something part-time
staff could fill out on a home computer and send as an email attachment.

Is there anyway for people to use this without having the full Acrobat?

The reader will not save changes typed into it. Limits the use of a pdf form
to those with full Acrobat, unless I'm missing something.
Thanks
David

Acrobat 5 Forms for Acrobat Reader

Post by William Alexander Segrave » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:35:30

Quote:> I just made a simple timesheet as a form with Acrobat 5. Something
part-time
> staff could fill out on a home computer and send as an email attachment.

> Is there anyway for people to use this without having the full Acrobat?

Yes. You must add actions to the form that are supported by Acrobat reader
in order for users with Reader to be able to submit form data.

Quote:> The reader will not save changes typed into it. Limits the use of a pdf
form
> to those with full Acrobat, unless I'm missing something.

Reader supports "submit" actions that can send form data in FDF or HTML
(url-encoded) format to a server-side script (that you must provide).

Both Reader and the full distribution of Acrobat support the above type of
"submit" actions. In addition, they are both capable of a "submit" action
with a "Mailto:" URL, although this approach is known to be unreliable, for
reasons that have been discussed at length in this newsgroup.

If you can provide access to Perl or Php, operating on a CGI-server, you're
almost there. The required web server capability need not be provided by a
remote ISP, as the web server can even be operating on the client computer.

Google is your friend, especially Google Groups, for finding the newsgroup
discussions on this subject. You can find an example of a way to do this on
http://segraves.tripod.com. Click on the link "Segraves (Sample) Form
Filler" and submit a sample HTML or PDF form to see how it works.

Cheers.

Bill Segraves

Acrobat 5 Forms for Acrobat Reader

Post by DC » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:03:14

Thanks Bill. I'm new to Acrobat, and you have provided some very good
suggestions to get me on the right track.
David

> > I just made a simple timesheet as a form with Acrobat 5. Something
> part-time
> > staff could fill out on a home computer and send as an email attachment.

> > Is there anyway for people to use this without having the full Acrobat?

> Yes. You must add actions to the form that are supported by Acrobat reader
> in order for users with Reader to be able to submit form data.

> > The reader will not save changes typed into it. Limits the use of a pdf
> form
> > to those with full Acrobat, unless I'm missing something.

> Reader supports "submit" actions that can send form data in FDF or HTML
> (url-encoded) format to a server-side script (that you must provide).

> Both Reader and the full distribution of Acrobat support the above type of
> "submit" actions. In addition, they are both capable of a "submit" action
> with a "Mailto:" URL, although this approach is known to be unreliable,
for
> reasons that have been discussed at length in this newsgroup.

> If you can provide access to Perl or Php, operating on a CGI-server,
you're
> almost there. The required web server capability need not be provided by a
> remote ISP, as the web server can even be operating on the client
computer.

> Google is your friend, especially Google Groups, for finding the newsgroup
> discussions on this subject. You can find an example of a way to do this
on
> http://segraves.tripod.com. Click on the link "Segraves (Sample) Form
> Filler" and submit a sample HTML or PDF form to see how it works.

> Cheers.

> Bill Segraves

Acrobat 5 Forms for Acrobat Reader

Post by Ben Marchbank » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:43:13

You might consider a utility like

SaveForm - it allows users to store form data
with only the Reader version

You could submit the data to a web server
using ASP or other CGIs...which is the more
reliable method for data collection
while allowing users to "save" their data with
the SaveForm javascripts

Ben Marchbanks
AlQemy

Be a "re-gifter" use Adobe PDF.....

http://www.alQemy.com

Adobe Solution Network

Greenville, SC USA
864.284.9918

Quote:> I just made a simple timesheet as a form with Acrobat 5. Something
part-time
> staff could fill out on a home computer and send as an email attachment.

> Is there anyway for people to use this without having the full Acrobat?

> The reader will not save changes typed into it. Limits the use of a pdf
form
> to those with full Acrobat, unless I'm missing something.
> Thanks
> David

1. Date format in Acrobat Catalog & Acrobat Reader with search

 We seem to have a strange problem, we are based in Denmark and
 use therefor the format dd/mm/yyyy.

 When using Acrobat Reader (v.3.x) with search the input mask is correct,
that is
 dd/mm/yyyy but it seems that our index is in mm/dd/yyyy format !
 Using Reader gives a bit of a problem because it will not accept a search
 for ie. 13/12-1998 (13 Dec 1998) because off the limit in the month field.

 We can use the "Document Info fields" and search in the "Find Results
 Containing Text" window like:

 CreationDate >= 21 Oct 1998 & CreationDate <= 27 Oct 1998

 But it would be better to be able to use the Date field's in "With Date
Info".

 I have tried to most obvious things, like ensuring setting the date
 format to Danish on computers using Acrobat Reader and same thing on the
 Server (Windows NT 4 SP4) running Acrobat Catalog (v.3.01).
 Deleting the Index and do a complete new catalog.

 But so far no success. (Danish hot-line has not yet come up with any thing)

Regards Jan?

2. HELP.. Canon BJ 10SX

3. How can I view Acrobat 4.0 PDF files without Acrobat Reader ?

4. Any general purpose Uninstaller programs?

5. Acrobat/Acrobat Reader (Computer Problem)

6. Help with AUTOPLAY on CD-ROM !

7. Acrobat Reader 5 compatibility with Acrobat 4 generated files

8. : Problem Acrobat 4 Distiller -> Acrobat 5 Reader

9. How can Acrobat Reader v.5 read PDF written by Acrobat 4.0

10. Must I install Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader?

11. What's the diff between Acrobat and Acrobat reader?

12. Acrobat 4 Reader can't accurately print Acrobat PDF files