PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by dcm » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know the capabilities of Adobe PDF Writer from MS Word?
It is not explained in detail in any of the Adobe manuals.
We need to maintain our documentation in MS Word then use PDF writer to
turn it into PDF. This works fine, but do we have to manually add the
hundreds of links and bookmarks we need in PDF?
If we do that, we lose them every time we update the manual.
Does PDF writer offer anything in the way of automatically creating
links and bookmarks?
--
From: White Plains, New York, USA.

PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by Richard K Bethe » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know the capabilities of Adobe PDF Writer from MS Word?
> It is not explained in detail in any of the Adobe manuals.
> We need to maintain our documentation in MS Word then use PDF writer to
> turn it into PDF. This works fine, but do we have to manually add the
> hundreds of links and bookmarks we need in PDF?
> If we do that, we lose them every time we update the manual.
> Does PDF writer offer anything in the way of automatically creating
> links and bookmarks?
> --

What you might want to do is hire a programmer to use Word's "print fields" to
program PDFMarks inserted in PostScript code for the styles you want to
have linked. Actually, I would expect someone has already developed a system
like this; I just have yet to encounter it.

Then have your writers use Distiller with Distiller assistant, which is
not a lot less elegant that simply printing to the PDF Writer. Plus it
will yield smaller, better looking PDF files to boot.
--

we are the broken bones of everything that came before us" - me
* visit my PostScript page at http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cj434 *

PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by Aandi Inst » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Does anyone know the capabilities of Adobe PDF Writer from MS Word?
>It is not explained in detail in any of the Adobe manuals.
>We need to maintain our documentation in MS Word then use PDF writer to
>turn it into PDF. This works fine, but do we have to manually add the
>hundreds of links and bookmarks we need in PDF?
>If we do that, we lose them every time we update the manual.
>Does PDF writer offer anything in the way of automatically creating
>links and bookmarks?
>--

No. Distiller can create links automatically IF the PostScript file
requests it. There are third party tools to do this. PDFWriter is
incapable of creating links.

Visit http://ds.dial.pipex.com/quite/psintro.htm for information on
PostScript, including EPS in 10 easy stages.

PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by Gregg Temk » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know the capabilities of Adobe PDF Writer from MS Word?
> It is not explained in detail in any of the Adobe manuals.
> We need to maintain our documentation in MS Word then use PDF writer to
> turn it into PDF. This works fine, but do we have to manually add the
> hundreds of links and bookmarks we need in PDF?
> If we do that, we lose them every time we update the manual.
> Does PDF writer offer anything in the way of automatically creating
> links and bookmarks?
> --
> From: White Plains, New York, USA.

dmc,

This is what I feel the greatest weakness of the Acrobat format,the
inability to simply update the original authoring document without
disturbing the many hours used to create links or bookmarks.  If its
already possible to do this with a third party product, it sure ain't
being communicated effectively by Adobe. I have yet to find much of
anything at Adobe's web site that addresses this issue or promotes the
hard to find 3rd party add on products.

Is the idea that we have to be programmers to effectively use Acrobat in
the real world. Is Adobe afraid of losing Exchange market if they promote
simple imbedding of links in standard word processors?  Is it just
technically to difficult.

As you can tell I'll really peaved that a product that promotes itself as
the standard for digital publishing has this and other glaring
limitations.

Gregg

PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by Richard K Bethe » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>> Does anyone know the capabilities of Adobe PDF Writer from MS Word?
>> It is not explained in detail in any of the Adobe manuals.
>> We need to maintain our documentation in MS Word then use PDF writer to
>> turn it into PDF. This works fine, but do we have to manually add the
>> hundreds of links and bookmarks we need in PDF?
>> If we do that, we lose them every time we update the manual.
>> Does PDF writer offer anything in the way of automatically creating
>> links and bookmarks?
>> --
>> From: White Plains, New York, USA.

> dmc,

> This is what I feel the greatest weakness of the Acrobat format,the
> inability to simply update the original authoring document without
> disturbing the many hours used to create links or bookmarks.  If its
> already possible to do this with a third party product, it sure ain't
> being communicated effectively by Adobe. I have yet to find much of
> anything at Adobe's web site that addresses this issue or promotes the
> hard to find 3rd party add on products.

> Is the idea that we have to be programmers to effectively use Acrobat in
> the real world. Is Adobe afraid of losing Exchange market if they promote
> simple imbedding of links in standard word processors?  Is it just
> technically to difficult.

> As you can tell I'll really peaved that a product that promotes itself as
> the standard for digital publishing has this and other glaring
> limitations.

> Gregg

The Adobe PDF specification is fully published and described at Adobe's
FTP site. There is nothing to stop anyone from fully understanding PDF,
and in fact PDFMarks are so easy to create and use, you could be a
complete PostScript novice and use them to create hyperlinks, etc.

Considering the detail with which Adobe describes PDF in the PDF spec, they
are hardly holding back. Be peeved that there isn't such a tool, to be
sure, but don't be peeved at Adobe. They have made tools freely available
to anyone who has wished to develop such software.
--

Post by Ian Tresm » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>No. Distiller can create links automatically IF the PostScript file
>requests it. There are third party tools to do this. PDFWriter is
>incapable of creating links.

HOw do you get the Postscript file to request it, or is this what the
third party tools do?

PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by Karl Schmidtman » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know the capabilities of Adobe PDF Writer from MS Word?
> It is not explained in detail in any of the Adobe manuals.
> We need to maintain our documentation in MS Word then use PDF writer to
> turn it into PDF. This works fine, but do we have to manually add the
> hundreds of links and bookmarks we need in PDF?
> If we do that, we lose them every time we update the manual.
> Does PDF writer offer anything in the way of automatically creating
> links and bookmarks?
> --
> From: White Plains, New York, USA.

At Ambia Corporation we have an Acrobat publisher's toolkit, Compose, that allows you
to define many link types and bookmarking options, save the style as a template, and
then apply the template to an updated document, or a directory of new documents.
Depending on the size of your documents, and the number and complexity of the links,
you should be able to update the links in a couple of minutes.
Compose is a Windows product. An evaluation version of Compose is available on our
Web site (www.ambia.com).

Karl Schmidtmann
Ambia Corporation

PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by Pete » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know the capabilities of Adobe PDF Writer from MS Word?
> It is not explained in detail in any of the Adobe manuals.
> We need to maintain our documentation in MS Word then use PDF writer to
> turn it into PDF. This works fine, but do we have to manually add the
> hundreds of links and bookmarks we need in PDF?
> If we do that, we lose them every time we update the manual.
> Does PDF writer offer anything in the way of automatically creating
> links and bookmarks?
> --

Don't companies tend to support their own formats and products better than
anyone else's? So MS Word supports Word and RTF fully, but doesn't really
support Acrobat PDF anywhere like as well as Adobe Framemaker supports
Acrobat PDF. Framemaker (in theory and usually in practice) converts all
document links to PDF, and all contents and index information to PDF
bookmarks and hyperlinks. On the other hand, Framemaker doesn't support
Word and RTF as well as MS does...

And when it comes to "Open Standards", everyone supports them, but not as
well as their own standards.

If you're doing really big documents and have settled on PDF for
distribution, you ought to start looking at programs like Framemaker. But
if you rely on using products from different companies, I think you're
always going to be caught in the middle.

Pete

PDF Writer from MS Word?

Post by Aandi Inst » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>No. Distiller can create links automatically IF the PostScript file
>>requests it. There are third party tools to do this. PDFWriter is
>>incapable of creating links.

>HOw do you get the Postscript file to request it, or is this what the
>third party tools do?

The third party tools do this. That is, they make sure that as well as
printing the file to a PostScript file, they add extra instructions to
the PostScript. You can add the instructions yourself, but it is
fiddly.

One tool among several that will produce bookmarks and/or links from
MS Word, via Distiller, is called WordMark.

Visit http://ds.dial.pipex.com/quite/psintro.htm for information on
PostScript, including EPS in 10 easy stages.

1. How to create Acrobat destinations using MS Word and PDF-Writer

Hi,

does anybody know what I can do to in Word to get a PDF file that
contains so-called destinations? Bookmarks, index enties, links etc.
just don't do the job. So I have to manually post-process the PDF file
that the PDF-Writer has created. I load the file in Acrobat and insert
the destinations there.

Thanks

Kornel

2. Eudora

3. PDF-Writer 3.03 Error -- syllable division is incorrect when i convert WORD.doc to PDF

4. What is 00 code?

5. PDF-Writer 3.03 Fehler -- Silbentrennung ist fehlerhaft wenn ich Word.doc in PDF konvertiere

6. New version of PINE???

7. PDF Editor and or PDF to MS-Word

8. Compilers

9. Word 98 - PDF Writer

10. PDF Writer & Word 97 links prob

11. PDF Writer - Word 97 & Screen Dumps

12. Converting MS Word ms. to troff -mm ms.

13. pdf generation report tool - uses MS Word for layout