PDF tutorial

Post by blackshee » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:58:40

        I love hacking around with PostScript code, and I manage to
        get almost whatever I want. I'd like to learn to do the same with
        PDF, but I cannot find any tutorial with code examples on the web.
        Does anybody know where to go and find ?
        I mean, the language, not tools that create code ...

        Best Regards,
        Paolo Lulli

--
        THE Hacking Pages:
         www.lulli.net

PDF tutorial

Post by Aandi Inst » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:43:30

>    I love hacking around with PostScript code, and I manage to
>    get almost whatever I want. I'd like to learn to do the same with
>    PDF, but I cannot find any tutorial with code examples on the web.
>    Does anybody know where to go and find ?
>    I mean, the language, not tools that create code ...

The first thing to learn is that you NEVER just hack in a PDF file. It
isn't a language, and isn't a text file.  All PDF files are created by
tools.  You can write the tools, of course, but producing PDF is
always an indirect task.

Indeed, given that, there is an argument for just using your
PostScript skills, and distilling the result to make PDF.

There is no tutorial, but you may find the PDF Reference Manual
illuminating.

PDF tutorial

Post by Eric » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:50:40

> I love hacking around with PostScript code, and I manage to
> get almost whatever I want. I'd like to learn to do the same with
> PDF, but I cannot find any tutorial with code examples on the web.
> Does anybody know where to go and find ?
> I mean, the language, not tools that create code ...

PDF is a very different beast from PS.

PS can be made with a text editor and is sortof human read/writeable. It is
a single thread of interpreted source code.

PDF is quite different; it is a dendritic structure designed to be created
and read by machine. Up near the top is a master pointer that points on
down the tree to "objects": each object can have its own content and some
more pointers.

Best to read/write via a library, say "libpdf".

Eric.

PDF tutorial

Post by Alex Cherepano » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:29:49

>    I love hacking around with PostScript code, and I manage to
>    get almost whatever I want. I'd like to learn to do the same with
>    PDF,

Great.
PDF interpreter in Ghostscript is implemented in PostScript. It also
uses extended PostScript as an intermediate format.
There are many things to hack: http://bugs.ghostscript.com
Welcome to Ghostscript team.