PDF Links - naming convention with spaces in folder name

PDF Links - naming convention with spaces in folder name

Post by Michael A. Kie » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

This isn't necessarily an Acrobat problem, but hopefully somebody has an
answer...

I am trying to troubleshoot linking between PDF documents and external
files.  For example, one PDF file has a link to a PowerPoint file named:

../Specific/C3/Missile System Theory/filename.pps

This file should open in PowerPoint viewer, but the viewer comes up and
says it can't open the file named "E:\Specific\Missile"

Next it tells me it can't open the file "System".  Then it says it can't
open the file named:
"Theory\MSLSYS.pps"

Obviously, the problem is in the folder named "Missile System Theory",
in that it has spaces in the name.  Is there a character I can
substitute in the folder name to represent the space, while still
allowing the PPViewer to find the file?  Restated, can I rename the
folder that it conforms to URL specs, while still maintaining the
original link?  (I would edit the PDF file with the link, but it is
password protected.)

Michael K.

PDF Links - naming convention with spaces in folder name

Post by Henry Churchyar » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to troubleshoot linking between PDF documents and
> external files.  For example, one PDF file has a link to a
> PowerPoint file named: ../Specific/C3/Missile System
> Theory/filename.pps  This file should open in PowerPoint viewer,
> but the viewer comes up and says it can't open the file named
> "E:\Specific\Missile"  Next it tells me it can't open the file
> "System".  Then it says it can't open the file named:
> "Theory\MSLSYS.pps"  Obviously, the problem is in the folder
> named "Missile System Theory", in that it has spaces in the
> name.  Is there a character I can substitute in the folder name
> to represent the space, while still allowing the PPViewer to
> find the file?  Restated, can I rename the folder that it
> conforms to URL specs, while still maintaining the original
> link?  (I would edit the PDF file with the link, but it is
> password protected.)

I don't know about the specific PDF side of things, but according
to the general URL spec RFC-1738 (e.g.
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1738.html ), changing
the target of the link in the PDF file to
"../Specific/C3/Missile%20System%20Theory/filename.pps" would
result in a URL which is more "canonical" in form; I'm not sure
how changing the name of the actual folder (link target) would
help.

--%!PS
10 10 scale/M{rmoveto}def/R{rlineto}def 12 45 moveto 0 5 R 4 -1 M 5.5 0 R
currentpoint 3 sub 3 90 0 arcn 0 -6 R 7.54 10.28 M 2.7067 -9.28 R -5.6333
2 setlinewidth 0 R 9.8867 8 M 7 0 R 0 -9 R -6 4 M 0 -4 R stroke showpage

PDF Links - naming convention with spaces in folder name

Post by Aandi Inst » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>This isn't necessarily an Acrobat problem, but hopefully somebody has an
>answer...

>I am trying to troubleshoot linking between PDF documents and external
>files.  For example, one PDF file has a link to a PowerPoint file named:

>../Specific/C3/Missile System Theory/filename.pps

>This file should open in PowerPoint viewer, but the viewer comes up and
>says it can't open the file named "E:\Specific\Missile"

Acrobat passes the string to Windows to open the file. Are you able to
open that file by double clicking on it in Explorer, or do you get the
same error?
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

PDF Links - naming convention with spaces in folder name

Post by Michael A. Kie » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Aandi & Henry

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I do get the same error.  Right now, my
preferred solution is to print the PDF document to the distiller,
creating a new PDF document, creating the links, and saving it over the
old file.

Michael K.

PDF Links - naming convention with spaces in folder name

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Aandi & Henry

>Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I do get the same error.  Right now, my
>preferred solution is to print the PDF document to the distiller,
>creating a new PDF document, creating the links, and saving it over the
>old file.

You will either need to fix the PPS association in the registry
(advanced stuff) or you can remove the spaces in the file name.
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

1. Shell Name Space Extensions - Changing the Color of the Folder (Text) displayed.

Hello All,

I have been pondering around a new requirement, which I am not sure how to
resolve.

The requirement is,
-- I need to provide provision for the user, to change the color of the
selected folder in the Explorer. I am not sure where I can get/set the color
of the folder text displayed by Explorer.
This is very similar to the feature NT has. "Display compressed files and
folders with Alternate Color". If selected NT displays the text of the
compressed folder in blue.
-- Active Desktop does a very similar thing in a different way. It allows
the user to customize the folder, but this change applies to the whole
folder's contents and not to a single selected file or folder.
Also, I would like to know whether the feature can be implemented without
Active Desktop?

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
-Raghu

2. CD rom te koop

3. HOWTO setup a name space (aka name graph) ala Henning and Vinoski

4. Connecting remote drive for direct access using tcp/ip

5. removing a name from the name space

6. Screen wiggle when drive's accessed

7. How to create a folder with the name "New Folder (x)"

8. Connect problems....

9. Named Location Links from PDF

10. PDF "named destinations", links management, and much more

11. framemaker links to pdf named destinations

12. Window Naming Conventions