PDF Fill-in Forms through Visual Basic (ActiveX)

PDF Fill-in Forms through Visual Basic (ActiveX)

Post by KGD » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a good way to populate PDF fill-in forms through a
Visual Basic Program?  The best I have come up with so far is to use
the PDF.OCX that comes with Acrobat Reader 4 inside a VB program.  I
can load  the PDF form OK, and print it; but to fill data into it
requires the use of Sendkeys to send keystrokes to the form (Which is
less than desirable).

Is anyone else using this approach to populate PDF forms  with data
from a database?

Thanks
Ken

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

PDF Fill-in Forms through Visual Basic (ActiveX)

Post by George Johnso » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of a good way to populate PDF fill-in forms through a
> Visual Basic Program?  The best I have come up with so far is to use
> the PDF.OCX that comes with Acrobat Reader 4 inside a VB program.  I
> can load  the PDF form OK, and print it; but to fill data into it
> requires the use of Sendkeys to send keystrokes to the form (Which is
> less than desirable).

> Is anyone else using this approach to populate PDF forms  with data
> from a database?

You can use FDF files to fill form fields, or use the Forms API with
Acrobat 4 (not Reader) to fill the fields directly. You can get more
information with the FDF Toolkit and the Acrobat SDK
(http://partners.adobe.com).

I've put together a demo VB project that uses the ActiveX version of the
FDF Toolkit to create an FDF file using data from an Access database, and
then launches the FDF file, causing the corresponding PDF to load and
populate with data from the FDF file. This works with Reader, although
Reader cannot save the resulting filled-in form. Reader can only display
and print it. If you'd like this, let me know.

My advice regarding the PDF.OCX is to forget about it.

George

Post by Aandi Inst » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Does anyone know of a good way to populate PDF fill-in forms through a
>Visual Basic Program?  The best I have come up with so far is to use
>the PDF.OCX that comes with Acrobat Reader 4 inside a VB program.  I
>can load  the PDF form OK, and print it; but to fill data into it
>requires the use of Sendkeys to send keystrokes to the form (Which is
>less than desirable).

The Acrobat SDK should give full details on how to control printing in
Acrobat Reader with DDE.
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

1. Fill in PDF forms via Visual basic or ASP?

Hello there,

  I have a few PDF forms that are already made.. i have been supplied with
all the field names for the forms.  I would like to create a Visual basic
application (or an ASP web-page) that will fill in the forms based on the
entry to the application/page.

How can I fill in these forms?  I know it can be done, as I have seen it
done before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sharbel

2. Repost: Animation not working

3. Making PDF Forms Fill-In Forms

4. simulate turning page ?

5. PDF Forms Fill Ins

6. Anonymous FTP List - Sites (Part 1/3)

7. Has anyone had luck filling Form Fields in a PDF thru the API and OIW?

8. IBM WILL NOT,CAN I ?

9. Upgrade Visual Basic 3.0 to Visual Basic 6.0 or Visual Basic.NET

10. Dynamic PDF Generation (or Web Server Form Fill-In) HELP!!!

11. Auto Clicking a button on PDF Fill-in form

12. Can't Fill-in PDF Form

13. Web submit of Fill-in PDF forms in Netscape