Tutorial on Creating PDF file

Post by King W.Wa » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 05:11:09

Hi all,
Is there a tutorial or a step-by-step introduction to PDF in the
Internet? I have already the PDF specification from Adobe. But it
seems to me that I cannot create a simple file before I've finished
reading the whole book.
What I'm in need of is such information: after I've worked on it for
an hour, I can write a simple PDF file; and after a further hour I
can add some other objects to the file; ...... It needn't to be
exaustive, since the book of Adobe does it, but it must be well
ordered didactically - from basic to advanced.
The reason for my request is that a lot of pdf files I've got from
the web are corrupt. They do not begin with "%PDF". I've searched
in the files. They do contain "%PDF" or "%%EOF", but "%PDF" is not at
the beginning. Some files contain even multiple "%PDF". If I just
extract that part beginning from "%PDF" and ending at "%%EOF" out
of a file, the resulting file can be viewed with Acrobat Reader.
Now I'd like to learn something about PDF and try to restore the
files.
Many thanks.
Weichao Wang

Post by Aandi Inst » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 05:34:30

>Hi all,
>Is there a tutorial or a step-by-step introduction to PDF in the
>Internet? I have already the PDF specification from Adobe. But it
>seems to me that I cannot create a simple file before I've finished
>reading the whole book.

Yes. Preferably twice. This is not a task that is simple, and that is
the basic precursor to doing the task.

Quote:>The reason for my request is that a lot of pdf files I've got from
>the web are corrupt. They do not begin with "%PDF". I've searched
>in the files. They do contain "%PDF" or "%%EOF", but "%PDF" is not at
>the beginning.

If Acrobat opens them, see the "Implementation Notes" in the PDF
Specification. If it does not, they are indeed corrupt, and pretty
useless. Can you post the URL of such a file? I've never seen any.

Post by Matti Vuor » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:18:23

Quote:> The reason for my request is that a lot of pdf files I've got from
> the web are corrupt. They do not begin with "%PDF". I've searched
> in the files. They do contain "%PDF" or "%%EOF", but "%PDF" is not at
> the beginning. Some files contain even multiple "%PDF". If I just
> extract that part beginning from "%PDF" and ending at "%%EOF" out
> of a file, the resulting file can be viewed with Acrobat Reader.
> Now I'd like to learn something about PDF and try to restore the
> files.

Perhaps some document management system has inserted the extra bytes, but
the people posting the files have not recognized it -- I suppose that most
PDFs uploaded to WWW are never read from the Web site, and of those that
are, only 1 out of 100 readers bother enough to report back reading
problems! As an example: did you complain about the problems? I guess that
you would mostly benefit from learning C/C++ programming (unless you have
that skill already) and just write a program that extracts the innermost
%PDF/%%EOF part of the file.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

Post by King W.Wa » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:45:14

> > The reason for my request is that a lot of pdf files I've got from
> > the web are corrupt. They do not begin with "%PDF". I've searched
> > in the files. They do contain "%PDF" or "%%EOF", but "%PDF" is not at
> > the beginning. Some files contain even multiple "%PDF". If I just
> > extract that part beginning from "%PDF" and ending at "%%EOF" out
> > of a file, the resulting file can be viewed with Acrobat Reader.
> > Now I'd like to learn something about PDF and try to restore the
> > files.

> Perhaps some document management system has inserted the extra bytes, but
> the people posting the files have not recognized it -- I suppose that most
> PDFs uploaded to WWW are never read from the Web site, and of those that
> are, only 1 out of 100 readers bother enough to report back reading
> problems! As an example: did you complain about the problems? I guess that
> you would mostly benefit from learning C/C++ programming (unless you have
> that skill already) and just write a program that extracts the innermost
> %PDF/%%EOF part of the file.

Indeed I haven't reported problem to the page owner. But I've read on his
page the complaint of someone else.
Another point is that all files are not illegible. If the problem results
from a document management system, the same should occur to all pdf files.

Weichao Wang

Post by King W.Wa » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:53:40

> >Hi all,
> >Is there a tutorial or a step-by-step introduction to PDF in the
> >Internet? I have already the PDF specification from Adobe. But it
> >seems to me that I cannot create a simple file before I've finished
> >reading the whole book.

> Yes. Preferably twice. This is not a task that is simple, and that is
> the basic precursor to doing the task.

> >The reason for my request is that a lot of pdf files I've got from
> >the web are corrupt. They do not begin with "%PDF". I've searched
> >in the files. They do contain "%PDF" or "%%EOF", but "%PDF" is not at
> >the beginning.

> If Acrobat opens them, see the "Implementation Notes" in the PDF
> Specification. If it does not, they are indeed corrupt, and pretty
> useless. Can you post the URL of such a file? I've never seen any.

> Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.

Hi Aandi,
here is a URL for such files:
http://www.dingbing.com/book/new/computer_science/%bc%c6%cb%e3%bb%fa%...
The last directory should be one in Chinese. If you cannot reach it,
just goto:
http://www.dingbing.com/book/new/computer_science/
and click the sixth entry (the "Parent Directory" is not included or
it has
the order zero).
If you cannot get any file from this address, I can send you some. My
e-mail:

Weichao Wang