Acrobat 4 buggy???

Post by Dick Marguli » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Well, it's been a long time since I've regularly browsed this group, so
maybe all of this was covered ad nauseum when 4.0 was first released. If
so, my apologies. Point me to a useful date range or thread title in
dejanews and I'll go away quietly.

But here are the problems I encountered in my first and last day of
living with Acrobat 4 (having since uninstalled it and reinstalled
3.0x):

1.      Following the install instructions, I uninstalled 3.0x first. This
removed several TrueType fonts that were installed with 3.0x. 4.0 did
not include the same fonts. Okay, so I distill a PageMaker document that
includes Century Schoolbook Bold. Distiller tells me it cannot find
_New_ Century Schoolbook Bold and is substituting the default serif MM
font. Sorry, but I never spec'd New Century Schoolbook in the document,
and Century Schoolbook is still on the 'puter.

2.      Same document has a line of large sans-serif type (huge, this is for
a wall-size piece) with tight kerning. The type is a CMYK tint. The top
right tip of the K intersects the upper left corner of the following I a
little bit. In 3.0x the two characters flow into each other seamlessly.
In 4.0, no matter what settings I used, and even after bringing the file
into Illustrator and checking that the stroke and fill colors are the
same, the outlines of the two characters show up as dropouts where they
cross the other letter. Same effect with other fonts, other colors,
elsewhere in the doc.

3.      I have a watched folder (300 second interval). Leaving the machine
running overnight crashed the computer. During the day I had to reboot
three times. Is the old Distiller memory leak back???

4.      The graphic selection tool is nowhere to be found. Ctrl-Shift-5 no
longer brings it up, and the button illustrated in the documentation is
nowhere to be seen on the toolbar. I reinstalled, just to be sure, and
doublechecked that I installed all optional modules. All I'm looking for
is a simple lasso for copying to the Windows clipboard. Where'd it go?

I can't find doc on the Adobe site about any of this. Can someone point
me in the right direction? Or does anyone know if there is a maintenance
release/service pack coming out soon that addresses any of these items?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Dick

Acrobat 4 buggy???

Post by Aandi Inst » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

>4.  The graphic selection tool is nowhere to be found. Ctrl-Shift-5 no
>longer brings it up, and the button illustrated in the documentation is
>nowhere to be seen on the toolbar. I reinstalled, just to be sure, and
>doublechecked that I installed all optional modules. All I'm looking for
>is a simple lasso for copying to the Windows clipboard. Where'd it go?

If you don't know this trick you will miss about two thirds of the
features of Acrobat 4. Any tool that has a little triangle bottom
right will fold out. Click and hold on text select.
---------------------------------------

Imposition and booklets for PDF - http://www.quite.com/imposing/

Acrobat 4 buggy???

Post by Viktor Haa » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

> If you don't know this trick you will miss about two thirds of the
> features of Acrobat 4. Any tool that has a little triangle bottom
> right will fold out. Click and hold on text select.

Actually, Aandi, it's more general than that -- the tool with the
little triangle is a standard "Adobeism": you can find them in
Illustrator, Photoshop, Pagemaker, now Acrobat, etc.

--
Viktor Haag                           Senior Technical Writer, RIM
"Unix and C are the ultimate computer viruses." -- Richard Gabriel

1. Vuescan 7.5.55 with Mac OS 9.2.2 seems buggy

Did some scanning last night with newest Vuescan and was wondering if
anyone else has had problems.  Running on a beige G3 rev 3, 300 mhz,
with 9.2.2, no OS X.  Scanning negs seemed to go just fine.  Then I
wanted to scan those raw files from disc, Vuescan started acting up.
First it crashed when opening Photoshop 7 as external viewer.  Then,
under files tab, when trying to choose TIFF size reduction (rather
than reduce scan resolution), I couldn't get it to work at all.  The
up/down arrows would disappear and if I tried to enter a number in the
field, such as 2, nothing would happen except the Vuescan window would
move to the back.  If I did manage to enter a figure, such as 2, to
reduce size 1/2, with image size set to scan size (original scan size
was neg size and the TIFF is for archive files), when it would scan
and show up in Photoshop, it would be tiny.  In other words, the
original scan was a 35mm neg at 40000, raw 64bit RGBI.  Scanning from
disk, Tiff size reduction 2, should have given me a 2000 dpi image.
Instead, I got a roughly 4x6 on-screen size at some odd resolution.
Ended up scanning from disk and changing scan resolution.  I don't
recall having to do it this way with previous versions.

Am I doing something wrong?  Are the problems in Vusecan or a result
of having recently upgraded from OS 9.1 to 9.2.2? Anyone out there
have suggestions?

Thanks!

2. select()

3. VueScan 7.0.25 buggy?

4. MS Licence Server - What is it?

5. HP 6200cxi Win98 drivers are buggy?

6. New 64COPY 3.4b1 release

7. Vistascan 2.4 is buggy as hell

8. Buggy Box

9. is fifa programming buggy?

10. How will buggy Xbox games get patched?

11. DVD Playback is buggy...

12. Buggy 3-way