Can I pass pdf form data via URL

Post by Michael Chernec » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:26:46

Hi,
I need to generate pdf copies of online order forms. The dealer uses
on online order form to fill in fields, then presses a button to
generate the dealer copy & customer copy of the order form. The dealer
copy, customer copy and terms & conditions are in a multipage pdf
file. I want to draw some fields on this pdf file then pass the data
from the online form via URL to the pdf file. Is this possible? What
is the best way to do this? Note, I aready have the online order forms
working and connected to a database. I was thinking you could do
something like
https://xxx/.../order_form.pdf?name=xxx;address=xxx;phone=xxx;...

I know what I want to do but not how to get  the data into the pdf
file. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Can I pass pdf form data via URL

Post by Larry T » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:06:21

Hi Michael,

Sounds like what you want to do has a lot of the elements that our
commercially available software, OctoPDF, OctoBursT, and OctoMerge have.   I
really would like to speak with you in more detail to better understand your
requirements to see if indeed it would be a fairly easy task to implement.
I'd also like to know if you have a budget for this project and how soon
would like to proceed.  Please give me a call at 978 535-7676 or email

at; http://www.jbmsystems.com/octopdf.html .  Thanks and I hope to hear from
you.

Larry T.

Quote:> Hi,
> I need to generate pdf copies of online order forms. The dealer uses
> on online order form to fill in fields, then presses a button to
> generate the dealer copy & customer copy of the order form. The dealer
> copy, customer copy and terms & conditions are in a multipage pdf
> file. I want to draw some fields on this pdf file then pass the data
> from the online form via URL to the pdf file. Is this possible? What
> is the best way to do this? Note, I aready have the online order forms
> working and connected to a database. I was thinking you could do
> something like
> https://xxx/.../order_form.pdf?name=xxx;address=xxx;phone=xxx;...

> I know what I want to do but not how to get  the data into the pdf
> file. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Mike

Can I pass pdf form data via URL

Post by Dan Sidee » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:58:27

So,  are your on-line forms pdf forms, or html?

If they are html, and you are using Microsoft products, you can use the
Adobe FDF toolkit to easily generate fdf files from html form data. If the
forms are simple, you can generate them yourself in your cgi script. They
are just text files.

When you generate the fdf file (which can be on disk or in memory), you add
an FDFSetFile property that "points" the FDF to a parent pdf. Just serve up
the fdf, and Acrobat (Reader or full) will load the parent pdf and data
inside a browser window.

I have some samples that I can show you if you email me directlly.

Quote:> Hi,
> I need to generate pdf copies of online order forms. The dealer uses
> on online order form to fill in fields, then presses a button to
> generate the dealer copy & customer copy of the order form. The dealer
> copy, customer copy and terms & conditions are in a multipage pdf
> file. I want to draw some fields on this pdf file then pass the data
> from the online form via URL to the pdf file. Is this possible? What
> is the best way to do this? Note, I aready have the online order forms
> working and connected to a database. I was thinking you could do
> something like
> https://xxx/.../order_form.pdf?name=xxx;address=xxx;phone=xxx;...

> I know what I want to do but not how to get  the data into the pdf
> file. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Mike

1. fdf newbie - more questions (cached form data and how to get URL referer of PDF form)

Hi All,

1. Can I get the URL Referer of a PDF in a web browser? If I click on
a hyperlink in my PDF in my web browser that points to an ASP page:

pdfpath = Request.ServerVariables ("HTTP_REFERER") on the ASP page
does not return any value. If the referring URL is an ASP or HTML, it
works fine.

I want to get the referring URL of the PDF form so I don't have to
hard code the URL of the PDF whose fields I am populating:

<%
'***   Create the FDF object.
Set FdfAcX = Server.CreateObject("FdfApp.FdfApp")
Dim objFdf
Set objFdf = FdfAcX.FDFCreate

'***   Set the location of the PDF file you create.

objFdf.FDFSetFile pdfpath

(code is based on code from
http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=370)

is there another way to do this? Basically I want to use 1 ASP script
to populate, say, 10 different PDF forms.

2. I believe Acrobat saves a temporary file when submitting FDF data.
When the form is opened again, this cached data populates the form
fields.

However, after using the code above to open the PDF and populate
fields, the cached data does not appear in the form fields. I would
like the data in the cached temp file to also appear in the form.

thanks for any advice

2. Browsing Printers

3. Newbie Q: Submit PDF form data via ASP

4. GVP SIMMS for A3001 Series Board

5. pass a variable trough another sub via a form

6. Outlook Express 5 disconnects modem under Win2K

7. Passing URL Parameters to a PDF

8. Unexpected Restart

9. Need to use a variable in URL when submitting PDF form

10. pdf's don't always open via url link

11. Turn fillable PDF forms into fillable and savable PDF forms.

12. Linking PDF-forms with other PDF-forms

13. PDF Form != PDF Form