Poor print quality in MS Word MailMerge Document created from PDF Document

Poor print quality in MS Word MailMerge Document created from PDF Document

Post by Zorro Fo » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:36:17

Hi,

I have a form in PDF format that I fill-in in fairly large quantities.

I wish to merge data from a moderately-sized database into the form
and print clean, crisp copies. MS Word seems to have a very simple and
efficient merge process, so here is what I have done. (Pretty neat,
except that the quality of the printed forms is poor.)

        1. Export or copy the PDF document to MS Word and paste it
into a full-page text box as a header.

        2. Close the header/footer view and create a mailmerge
document, placing the merge fields over the background document where
required.

        3. Merge the data into the main form.

        4. Print.

Although the forms look crisp on the screen in MS Word,they print with
little dots above and below every line of text, and the text itself is
degraded. Pretty much unusable.

The document prints crisply as a PDF file from Adobe Acrobat prior to
export. So, it isn't the original document or the printer, and I have
no problem with regular text documents printed from MS Word.

I created a new PDF document from the merged MS Word document and
printed that from Adobe Acrobat, but the print quality was just as
bad.

Will someone please explain to me how I can get the merged MS Word
forms to print crisply, or suggest another efficient way (with or
without MS Word) to merge data into the document and print clear,
crisp copies?

Thanks,

Poor print quality in MS Word MailMerge Document created from PDF Document

Post by William Alexander Segrave » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:48:59

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a form in PDF format that I fill-in in fairly large quantities.

What OS?

Quote:> I wish to merge data from a moderately-sized database into the form
> and print clean, crisp copies.

What database program/format?

Have you tried using FDF to load the data into the PDFs?

Bill Segraves

Poor print quality in MS Word MailMerge Document created from PDF Document

Post by CaymanWend » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:16:46

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:48:59 -0600, "William Alexander Segraves"

>> Hi,

>> I have a form in PDF format that I fill-in in fairly large quantities.

>What OS?

I am running Windows 98

Quote:

>> I wish to merge data from a moderately-sized database into the form
>> and print clean, crisp copies.

>What database program/format?

Using MS Access as my database.

I believe I used jpg as the file format in this attempt.
Tonight, I tried a tif file, but it is so big and takes too long to
work with.

Quote:

>Have you tried using FDF to load the data into the PDFs?

I am unfamiliar with FDF. Does it allow the merging of data into a PDF
file?

Quote:

>Bill Segraves

Thanks for the help.

Poor print quality in MS Word MailMerge Document created from PDF Document

Post by William Alexander Segrave » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:09:11

<snip>

Quote:> >> I wish to merge data from a moderately-sized database into the form
> >> and print clean, crisp copies.

> >What database program/format?

> Using MS Access as my database.
<snip>
> I am unfamiliar with FDF. Does it allow the merging of data into a PDF
> file?

Yes.

One way, among several:

Do a Google Groups search for "Re: Access to MS-Access database with the
Reader via ODBC ? ". This should take you directly to a response to George
Johnson, in which I outlined an approach that works here. YMMV.

Bill Segraves

Poor print quality in MS Word MailMerge Document created from PDF Document

Post by Mark Uildri » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 06:39:55

May I suggest you take a look at 4TOPS Word Link
(http://www.4tops.com/wordlink.htm). You can download it from
http://www.4tops.com/downloadwordlink.htm.

Mark Uildriks
http://www.4tops.com

Poor print quality in MS Word MailMerge Document created from PDF Document

Try saving the image as a tif file instead of a jpg.