PDF writer recommendation

Post by Ian » Mon, 06 May 2002 11:34:39

Hi all - looking for a recommendation please. I need to write just one doc
to PDF about once a month and can't afford the luxury of Adobe Acrobat for
the purpose. Does anybody know of a reliable PDF writer at a (very)
reasonable cost for this limited use. I don't need heaps of bells and
whistles. It's to give a printer an 80 page doc that's historically
maintained in Word and we have the obvious problems giving a Word file to a
printer.
tia, Ian.
running WinMe & W98 on standard PCs with MS Office.

PDF writer recommendation

Post by Alex Cherepano » Mon, 06 May 2002 11:51:43

> Hi all - looking for a recommendation please. I need to write just one doc
> to PDF about once a month and can't afford the luxury of Adobe Acrobat for
> the purpose.

Use Ghostscript. It is free for any use and comes at zero cost.
You can download our latest and best GS 7.20 from

If by some reason you don't want to install Ghostscript
you can use free web based PS to PDF converter.
http://www.ps2pdf.com
Their Ghostscript is somewhat dated.

--

Your PostScript expert is just a click away.
http://www.quadnet.net/alexcher

PDF writer recommendation

Post by Jost Ammo » Mon, 06 May 2002 17:11:34

Do you know a bit German? There is a little application word2pdf on
German PC_magazine Chip at

http://www.chip.de/praxis_wissen/praxis_wissen_8713488.html

You need to download both of:

http://www.chip.de/downloads_updates/download_starten_8631632.html?t=...

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/%7Eghost/doc/AFPL/get704.htm
(gs704w32.exe)

Another web-based alternative is:
http://www.pdfconvert.ch/

I personally work the way Alex has described:

I change print the document to a .ps file and then convert this to pdf.
Works fine with the exception that it doesn't work with a horizontal
document.

Jost

>> Hi all - looking for a recommendation please. I need to write just one
>> doc
>> to PDF about once a month and can't afford the luxury of Adobe Acrobat
>> for
>> the purpose.

> Use Ghostscript. It is free for any use and comes at zero cost.
> You can download our latest and best GS 7.20 from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1897

> If by some reason you don't want to install Ghostscript
> you can use free web based PS to PDF converter.
> http://www.ps2pdf.com
> Their Ghostscript is somewhat dated.

PDF writer recommendation

Post by Jost Ammo » Mon, 06 May 2002 21:43:56

Hello again,

I've just tried the word2pdf software described in teh Chip article:
bugs with Winword and doesn't work with StarOffice, so file ->.ps ->
.pdf is the better solution (or web-based of course).

I have a german how-to I can send to if you need. Maybe I can alos do a
rough translation.

> Do you know a bit German? There is a little application word2pdf on
> German PC_magazine Chip at

> http://www.chip.de/praxis_wissen/praxis_wissen_8713488.html

> You need to download both of:

> http://www.chip.de/downloads_updates/download_starten_8631632.html?t=...

> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/%7Eghost/doc/AFPL/get704.htm
> (gs704w32.exe)

> Another web-based alternative is:
> http://www.pdfconvert.ch/

> I personally work the way Alex has described:

> I change print the document to a .ps file and then convert this to pdf.
> Works fine with the exception that it doesn't work with a horizontal
> document.

> Jost

>>> Hi all - looking for a recommendation please. I need to write just
>>> one doc
>>> to PDF about once a month and can't afford the luxury of Adobe
>>> Acrobat for
>>> the purpose.

>> Use Ghostscript. It is free for any use and comes at zero cost.
>> You can download our latest and best GS 7.20 from
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1897

>> If by some reason you don't want to install Ghostscript
>> you can use free web based PS to PDF converter.
>> http://www.ps2pdf.com
>> Their Ghostscript is somewhat dated.

PDF writer recommendation

Post by Ian » Mon, 06 May 2002 23:00:50

Thanks Jost - I've downloaded a couple of packages and will try them out
over a couple of days. Thanks for your very kind offer. I'll get back in
touch if necessary.
Thanks again, Ian.

> Hello again,

> I've just tried the word2pdf software described in teh Chip article:
> bugs with Winword and doesn't work with StarOffice, so file ->.ps ->
> .pdf is the better solution (or web-based of course).

> I have a german how-to I can send to if you need. Maybe I can alos do a
> rough translation.

> > Do you know a bit German? There is a little application word2pdf on
> > German PC_magazine Chip at

> > http://www.chip.de/praxis_wissen/praxis_wissen_8713488.html

> > You need to download both of:

http://www.chip.de/downloads_updates/download_starten_8631632.html?t=...
408&v=3600&s=257c962b932ce90a040c8d656edb79ca

> > http://www.cs.wisc.edu/%7Eghost/doc/AFPL/get704.htm
> > (gs704w32.exe)

> > Another web-based alternative is:
> > http://www.pdfconvert.ch/

> > I personally work the way Alex has described:

> > I change print the document to a .ps file and then convert this to pdf.
> > Works fine with the exception that it doesn't work with a horizontal
> > document.

> > Jost

> >> Use Ghostscript. It is free for any use and comes at zero cost.
> >> You can download our latest and best GS 7.20 from
> >> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1897

> >> If by some reason you don't want to install Ghostscript
> >> you can use free web based PS to PDF converter.
> >> http://www.ps2pdf.com
> >> Their Ghostscript is somewhat dated.

PDF writer recommendation

Post by Ian » Mon, 06 May 2002 23:01:56

Thanks Alex - have downloaded and will try out over next few days.
Thanks again, Ian.

Post by Alex Cherepano » Tue, 07 May 2002 05:04:09

> I change print the document to a .ps file and then convert this to pdf.
> Works fine with the exception that it doesn't work with a horizontal
> document.

Please check that
(1) PS file is correct (looks OK in GS window)
(2) Auto rotation is disabled.

If it still doesn't work file a bug report.

--

Post by Jost Ammo » Tue, 07 May 2002 15:42:27

>> I change print the document to a .ps file and then convert this to
>> pdf. Works fine with the exception that it doesn't work with a
>> horizontal document.

> Please check that
> (1) PS file is correct (looks OK in GS window)
> (2) Auto rotation is disabled.

> If it still doesn't work file a bug report.

PS file is correct and comes up with the correct extension. Auto
rotation is disabled and any setting that I choose at that point gets
the same result in pdf format: a vertical extension with the text turned
90 to the right.

Win ME, gsview32 version 2.07, redirected printer HP ColorLaseJet PS,
Acroreader 4.0, ghostscript 5.5

So where can I file a bug report (sorry I've to leave for the day, so I
can't look it up in the net)?

Jost

PDF writer recommendation

Post by Max Wys » Tue, 07 May 2002 16:54:26

If it is really a one-time project, you might try out Adobe's webservice
(you'd have to find it on the Adobe website). This would be the most
efficient way, as you would not have to fiddle around with any software
installation.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss.

_______________________________

Quote:> Hi all - looking for a recommendation please. I need to write just one doc

Post by Peter Davi » Thu, 09 May 2002 06:47:30

Quote:> Hi all - looking for a recommendation please. I need to write just one doc
> to PDF about once a month and can't afford the luxury of Adobe Acrobat for
> the purpose. Does anybody know of a reliable PDF writer at a (very)
> reasonable cost for this limited use. I don't need heaps of bells and
> whistles. It's to give a printer an 80 page doc that's historically
> maintained in Word and we have the obvious problems giving a Word file to
> printer.
> tia, Ian.
> running WinMe & W98 on standard PCs with MS Office.

Have you looked into Ghostscript?  If you can print the Word document to a
PostScript file, Ghostscript can convert it to PDF, and it's free.  See
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ for more information.

-pd

PDF writer recommendation

Post by Craig Broadbea » Tue, 14 May 2002 12:35:52

try http://broadgun.com/pdfmachine

It works very nicely and a single licence costs $49.
I should know, i developed it ;)
-craig

> > Hi all - looking for a recommendation please. I need to write just one
doc
> > to PDF about once a month and can't afford the luxury of Adobe Acrobat
for
> > the purpose. Does anybody know of a reliable PDF writer at a (very)
> > reasonable cost for this limited use. I don't need heaps of bells and
> > whistles. It's to give a printer an 80 page doc that's historically
> > maintained in Word and we have the obvious problems giving a Word file
> > printer.
> > tia, Ian.
> > running WinMe & W98 on standard PCs with MS Office.

> Have you looked into Ghostscript?  If you can print the Word document to a
> PostScript file, Ghostscript can convert it to PDF, and it's free.  See
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ for more information.

> -pd

1. Print to PDF via Acrobat PDF Writer

Hi *,

i am using CA VisualObjects. My App prints to PDF via Acrobat PDF Writer, in
my app i am using a filename as port, this wotks with W2K,
but trying the same with Win95/98 there will allways appear a Dialogbox
where i have to enter the PDF-Filename.

Does someone know how to solve this ??

Ecki

2. Blers and Link Naks, what?

3. PDF writer vs PDF distiller

4. valarray<T>

5. PDF-Writer 3.03 Error -- syllable division is incorrect when i convert WORD.doc to PDF

6. How to create a box for the whole page in LaTex?

7. PDF-Writer 3.03 Fehler -- Silbentrennung ist fehlerhaft wenn ich Word.doc in PDF konvertiere

8. a C question

9. Default PDF security when using PDF Writer?

10. Xanté Accel-a-Writer 8200 recommendations

11. External DVD writer recommendations?

12. cd-writer recommendation

13. CD writer recommendations please!