Need help in data acquisition through ethernet interface

Need help in data acquisition through ethernet interface

Post by Amir Am » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:58:36

hello,

i want to capture 2 mbps serial data stream through my ethernet card.
I want to use FPGA to convert the received serial data into ethernet
format and dump it onto the ethernet interface. Then i can use some
port sniffer to capture that data.

i just have the vague idea. kidly someone tell me, how much is this
feasible.

also, i need to know where i can find the most relevant material.

Regards,
Amir Amin

Post by Fritz » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:39:13

> i want to capture 2 mbps serial data stream through my ethernet card.
> I want to use FPGA to convert the received serial data into ethernet
> format and dump it onto the ethernet interface. Then i can use some
> port sniffer to capture that data.

Just about any cheap terminal server will be cheaper than an FPGA.  Digi
EtherLite comes to mind.  Here's another similar device:

  http://www.dcbnet.com/datasheet/ss1ds.html

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
                4=a  0=o  3=e  +=t

Post by Amir Am » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:30:10

> > i want to capture 2 mbps serial data stream through my ethernet card.
> > I want to use FPGA to convert the received serial data into ethernet
> > format and dump it onto the ethernet interface. Then i can use some
> > port sniffer to capture that data.

> Just about any cheap terminal server will be cheaper than an FPGA.  Digi
> EtherLite comes to mind.  Here's another similar device:

>   http://www.dcbnet.com/datasheet/ss1ds.html

> RFM

Of course, any serial server is cheaper than FPGA. But i already have
a FPGA based hardware and i want to add this funtionality to my
hardware. Kindly guide me in this direction. Is there some relevant
helping material for this sort of work.

regards,

Amir Amin

Post by Fritz » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:40:07

> But i already have
> a FPGA based hardware and i want to add this funtionality to my
> hardware.

Ah, I see.

Just about any DSP application would work, wouldn't it?

(I'm not an FPGA expert)

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
                4=a  0=o  3=e  +=t

Need help in data acquisition through ethernet interface

Post by Glen Herrmannsfeld » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:21:21

Quote:> hello,

> i want to capture 2 mbps serial data stream through my ethernet card.
> I want to use FPGA to convert the received serial data into ethernet
> format and dump it onto the ethernet interface. Then i can use some
> port sniffer to capture that data.

> i just have the vague idea. kidly someone tell me, how much is this
> feasible.

You have to buffer enough to make an ethernet packet, and then start
generating it.  If you have a 20 MHz clock around it shouldn't be too hard
to implement a state machine to do it.   If your FPGA has a RAM that could
be used to buffer the data.  A ROM (initialized RAM) state machine would
probably be easiest.

The description of an ethernet frame isn't hard to find, and once you find
it to generate the state machine.  You don't say if you want to encapsulate
your data in a higher level protocol, though even that shouldn't be hard to
do.

-- glen