Escalation and HP Openview Network Node Manager

Post by Frank Kuiper » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> We are using the HP Openview Network Node Manager software running an an HP
> box running HPUX 10.10 to monitor the many HP & Sun systems on our network.

> We want to page "system down" messages to different people based upon how long
> a system was down and then page all those who have been paged "system up"
> after the system comes back up.  It is my understanding that the HP software
> does not handle time based escalation such as this?  If that is correct what
> are others using in the way of third party software to accomplish something
> like this.

> Thanks for any help...

>   - Dan

where to start.... If I'm correct you meen by paging a paging device
(buzzer, semaphone) (first assumption) If this is the case, then you
could get away with something like this.
in HP NNM you can define actions based upon an event (through event
configuration etc) The event can be anything you want, but must be
described by a MIB entry. System down is a standard event (Node Down),
don't know if system up is also a standard event, but this you can test
yourself (ping).
O.k. now the second problem: paging.
There are a few third-party paging products for HP-UX (see
www.hp.com/go/Openview  and look for software/products) Telamon with
Telalert is amongst one of them.
THe way I implemented a paging system is by means of a simple modem and
a semadigit ( a semaphone, capable of receiving 4 codes, defined by the
last digit of the tel-nr of the semadigit (A=urgent,B=severe, C= etc.
to defined by you) Hook up a modem to you Unix, reboot the HP closet ;)
otherwise your modem will probably not work (happens sometimes with HP)
Define a  job   (look in /opt/OV/contrib/NNM/beeper) to activate the
modem and let the modem call a specific number.
In the job (eventually just a shell script) you must be able to make up
your own choises about delayed-call, extra information, wait-states,
error-handling, etc...
Hope this helps a little....

Frank Kuipers

Post by Juan Postlbaue » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

   (some parts stripped)
Quote:> after the system comes back up.  It is my understanding that the HP software
> does not handle time based escalation such as this?  If that is correct what
> are others using in the way of third party software to accomplish something
> like this.

You could build it by yourself: make the "down" event fire inmediatly a
custom script that starts a counter. it can the either be stopped by the
"up" event or take different actions at different time intervals.

Anyway, if you're looking for an off-the-shelf software, look for "HP
OpenView Event Correlation Services" (go to http://www.hp.com then
"search" then "ECS") . It's a powerful tool allowing also for
inter-event dependencies.

Hope it helps
        Juan

#include <std/disclaimers.h>  my.opinions!=HP.opinions
if (dislike(contents)) {system("/bin/flame",">/dev/null")}
                ------  Juan Postlbauer ------

Escalation and HP Openview Network Node Manager

Post by Chris Gentil » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

A product called NerveCenter, by Seagate Software, is quite capable of
complex behavior such as the paging that you describe below. I am using
NerveCenter in conjunction with NNM 5 on Solaris.

- Chris

Quote:>Hello,

>We are using the HP Openview Network Node Manager software running an an HP
>box running HPUX 10.10 to monitor the many HP & Sun systems on our network.

>We want to page "system down" messages to different people based upon how
long
>a system was down and then page all those who have been paged "system up"
>after the system comes back up.  It is my understanding that the HP
software
>does not handle time based escalation such as this?  If that is correct
what
>are others using in the way of third party software to accomplish something
>like this

Escalation and HP Openview Network Node Manager

Post by Karl Compto » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

> We are using the HP Openview Network Node Manager software running an an
HP
> box running HPUX 10.10 to monitor the many HP & Sun systems on our
network.

> We want to page "system down" messages to different people based upon how
long
> a system was down and then page all those who have been paged "system up"
> after the system comes back up.  It is my understanding that the HP
software
> does not handle time based escalation such as this?  If that is correct
what
> are others using in the way of third party software to accomplish
something
> like this.

There is a product called AlertPage that looks very attractive based on my
(somewhat cursory) testing, but it is pricey.  If you have Unix talent on
hand, you could run up what you want using shell/awk/perl scripts; this is
particularly easy if you are using alpha pagers now that pretty much all
the paging services have e-mail interfaces for paging.  I use a similar
solution to handle dependencies so I don't send 50 pages when I can't get
there because a router is down to that site.  The whole deal probably runs
less than 5 pages of shell and awk scripts, though I've refined and tweaked
them a bunch over the years.
--
Karl Compton
VP for Network Engineering

Post by Jim Troc » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> We are using the HP Openview Network Node Manager software running an an
HP
> box running HPUX 10.10 to monitor the many HP & Sun systems on our
network.

> We want to page "system down" messages to different people based upon how
long
> a system was down and then page all those who have been paged "system up"
> after the system comes back up.  It is my understanding that the HP
software
> does not handle time based escalation such as this?  If that is correct
what
> are others using in the way of third party software to accomplish
something
> like this.

Have a look at "mon":

http://ftp.kernel.org/software/mon/

It is released under the GPL (free), and it can send out a page or email
when a system has been down for more than a said number of minutes,
and it can also notify one or more people when a node has rebooted,
providing that system has an SNMP agent installed. I use it to do almost
exactly what you're asking about.

Jim Trocki
Computer System and Network Engineer
Transmeta Corporation