3COM FDDI/Ethernet switching HUB, or 6-port Ethernet Card Needed

3COM FDDI/Ethernet switching HUB, or 6-port Ethernet Card Needed

Post by Robert Din » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

     I've got a real ugly situation here and am looking for a short-term
solution.

     We (Eskimo North) are an ISP located just north of Seattle (Shoreline).
For our local LAN we have an FDDI backbone with a 3COM 3C16640 switching HUB
with dual-attach FDDI port that connects equipment requiring 10-base-T
ethernet to the FDDI backbone.

     The power supply in the HUB has gone south and goes into a mode where it
cycles ON/OFF about every five seconds.  Needless to say this doesn't do
wonderful things for our service.

     I can't reach the dealer.  I called 3COM directly today, after spending
15 minutes working through their phone tree, and another 15 minutes waiting
for a tech support person to become available, I was told they will ship a
power supply, only they can't find a part number, and when they find the part
number it will be three days.

     Three days obviously isn't a very workable timeframe given the impact
this has on service, so I'm looking for an alternative for short-term which
could come in the form of either a power supply for same, another switching
HUB that will provide 6 or more ethernet ports from a dual-attach FDDI
backbone, or a 6-port ethernet card for a Netbuilder II 3-Com router.

     E-mail may be unreliable during this failure, we can be FAX'd at
(206) 368-9048 or phone (206) 361-1161.  This failure is intermittant in
nature, when it starts cycling, unplugging it and allowing it to cool down
for ten minutes or so restores operation, for a while.

 Eskimo North: More Unix, Usenet, Internet for Less $$ (206)For-Ever Eskimo.Com

1. 3Com Megahertz Global 56k PC Card modem and 3Com Ethernet PC Card

I have a 3Com PC Card Megahertz 56K Global Modem. Great!
I got a 3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus PC Card - Great!
Problem - put both in the PC together and it hangs! Won't boot if off when
the cards are inserted; dies if on when the PC Cards are inserted.
This happens whether the laptop is a Compaq Armada or a Toshiba SatPro.
One answer is supposed to be changing the BIOS settings to ensure PCIC is
used for PC Cards. Another is to turn off the infrared port(!).
Neither of those works.

Anyone come across this before - the 3Com answer is:
Modem side of 3Com - "It's the LAN card people's fault."
LAN people say - "It's the modem people's fault".

Very helpful.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

2. Samba

3. Networking(Ethernet LAN) using a 3com Hub and a variety of generic NIC cards

4. Where is Codehead?

5. Grand Junction Switched Ethernet Hub w/2 Fast Ports

6. Double Click to front

7. D-link 5 port ethernet hub "hubby" DE-805TP need some info

8. Problems with Amiga 2000 (help me please)

9. Need info on RS422/RS485 to Ethernet Switches/Hubs

10. WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card

11. installation problem with 3com ethernet card, need help?

12. NEED INFO on 3COM ethernet card used w WfW 3.11