Pause frame and its Data length

Post by pran » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:45:04

Hi all,
   The normal ethernet frame has a minimum data length of 46 bytes. If
the data length is less than 46 bytes PAD bytes are added to it.
    My question is, if there is a PAUSE frame can its data length be
less than 46 bytes or it can not?

Post by Rich Seifer » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:20:28

> Hi all,
>    The normal ethernet frame has a minimum data length of 46 bytes. If
> the data length is less than 46 bytes PAD bytes are added to it.
>     My question is, if there is a PAUSE frame can its data length be
> less than 46 bytes or it can not?

PAUSE frames are specified to be minimum-length Ethernet frames, i.e.,
46 bytes in the Data field. The Data field must be padded to this length.

If the frame was shorter than 64 bytes overall (i.e., less than 46 bytes
of Data), it would be discarded by any compliant Ethernet receiver, and
thus would not be of much use.

--
Rich Seifert              Networks and Communications Consulting

(408) 395-5700            Los Gatos, CA 95033
(408) 395-1966 FAX