Designing a 802.11b wireless transceiver

Designing a 802.11b wireless transceiver

Post by Anur » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:24:33

Hi,

I'm planning to develop a 802.11b based transceiver module as a hobby
project. I have a Microsoft 802.11b based LAN kit (PCMCIA + base
station) and I plan to use it for testing the (hopefully) built
transceiver.

The thought-of design is to use a chipset which performs the
functionality of the RF and baseband constituting the hardware
portion. The 802.x and the TCP/IP stack would form the software
(firmware) module.

Questions:

1) Which are the low-cost chipsets available for the above mentioned
functionality and what would be their approximate price ?

2) Is any 802.x stack available in public domain (I assume the TCP/IP
stack is) ? If not what would be its approximate cost ?

3) How complex would it be to implement the 802.x stack ? This is in
case there is no open source and the commercial one is too expensive
from a hobby project viewpoint.

Thanks.

Anurag

Post by David Goodenoug » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:29:42

> Hi,

> I'm planning to develop a 802.11b based transceiver module as a hobby
> project. I have a Microsoft 802.11b based LAN kit (PCMCIA + base
> station) and I plan to use it for testing the (hopefully) built
> transceiver.

> The thought-of design is to use a chipset which performs the
> functionality of the RF and baseband constituting the hardware
> portion. The 802.x and the TCP/IP stack would form the software
> (firmware) module.

> Questions:

> 1) Which are the low-cost chipsets available for the above mentioned
> functionality and what would be their approximate price ?

My understanding is that no-one sells them in quantities below 10000
so you may find this difficuly

Quote:

> 2) Is any 802.x stack available in public domain (I assume the TCP/IP
> stack is) ? If not what would be its approximate cost ?

The top end of it is certainly available in Linux, along with the rest
of the TCP/IP stack, but that does not include the bit that would
normally be in the firmware on the card is not generally available.

Quote:

> 3) How complex would it be to implement the 802.x stack ? This is in
> case there is no open source and the commercial one is too expensive
> from a hobby project viewpoint.

There is a reference set available from Intersil, but I understand it
is quite expensive.  That certainly includes firmware, but I have no
idea whether it includes source code.

Quote:

> Thanks.

> Anurag

David

1. D-Link 802.11B Access Point and Linksys 802.11b PC Card Should Work Together?

Hello,

I ordered a the Linksys AP and one of their PC Card's. The access
point has been on backorder for several weeks now.

So after reading a fairly complementary review of the D-Link access
point on the Practically Networked Website, I decided to cancel the
Linksys AP ago with the D-Link.

With this said buy.com did manage to mail me the Linksys 802.11b
PC-Card which I've opened.

So I am planning to use the Linksys card with d-link AP. Given what I
understand about 802.11b products this should work, no problem, right?

Thanks!

Jav Atar

2. OT: another use for MATLAB

3. 802.11b which wireless usb adapter to Linksys BEFW11S4 (4 port wireless hub)?

4. ipchains

5. Wireless on W871 does not comply with 802.11b ?

6. Isometric Tiling Engine Source Code Available

7. Modifying a 802.11b wireless card?

8. Strange behaviour, PLEASE HELP!!!!

9. Anyone making ISA 802.11b (wireless) boards out there?

10. Problems accessing VPN over 802.11b wireless LAN

11. Wireless 802.11b Ad Hoc ?

12. wireless LAN - 802.11b vs HomeRF

13. 802.11b Wireless card as bridge?