Question on protocols

Post by Yu-Chin Te » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Our company purchased an Apple Color LaserWriter 12/600PS.  We have 10Base-T
Ethernet network with a Windows NT server and Windows for Workgroup 3.11
workstations.

Apple tech support told me the printer only takes IP, IPX and AppleTalk
protocols and they would not provide support for customers with an NT
environment.

I think I could probably configure the NT server to run TCP/IP and
connect the printer to a parallel port on the server and have the
workstations communicate with the server using NetBEUI.

But I prefer to have the printer directly connected to the network.
Can I configure the Windows for Workgroup 3.11 to run TCP/IP?

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Question on protocols

Post by Rich Rausche » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> But I prefer to have the printer directly connected to the network.
> Can I configure the Windows for Workgroup 3.11 to run TCP/IP?

> Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

> Thanks

NT can be configured to speak to LPD, or to Appletalk.  You can
re-advertise the printer to NetBeui after NT "sees" the printer.

-Rich

1. New modem transfer protocol (Long - protocol weenies only)

: >This morning while I was trying to convince myself to get out of bed, I
: >thought of a new method to transfer files.  We all know that one of the
: >best transfer protocols w/ error correction is zmodem, but with a 2400bps
: >modem the best transfer is only 232cps, not 240cps.  I was wondering why
: >not be able to get 240cps.

Great to experiment with new ideas like this. I wonder if you are aware, though,
that there are different flavors of Zmodem? I often use one which is
internal to Qmodem with 232 cps, but have been advised that DSZ Mobyturbo is
faster, approaching 240 cps. Maybe you can check this one out for some more
ideas?

PS. DSZ Mobyturbo is as fast as half-duplex HSLINK.

2. TSPI_lineBlindTransfer - Interesting question...

3. The TELEBIT protocol (was: Modem protocols in BBS lists)

4. Problems with PWS in WIN98 w/ IE5

5. Looking for protocol docs for modem protocols

6. Multiread?

7. any light on applications of protocol parameter message of V5.2 protocol

8. TLS protocols vs. SET, SSL protocols over networks?

9. Unable to set default network protocol on client machines - Default Protocol checkbox disabled

10. GVRP protocol.(vlan GARP protocol)

11. Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xNNNN

12. Unknown Protocol / Protocol Reject