Windows 98SE and Cisco VPN Client

Post by unkno » Thu, 29 May 2003 03:54:45

Hi, I (we?) need some help.
At our university we're now able to acess the local network and
internet
via wireless lan. I still use Win98SE cause the pen drivers for my
tablet-pc are not available for Win 2000 or XP.
When I'm connecting to the VPN via the cisco-client, everything works
fine, I get a connection. But I'm not able to ping the network/server
and browse the internet.
Loopback and Network adapter can be pinged. Seems to be a routing
problem, so nothing leaves the tablet. Gateway isn't set up in TCP/IP
properties, ipconfig
shows a local gateway in the same subnet as my network adapter.
TCP/IP for NIC has DHCP activated and DNS servers are set up by the
Cisco Client.
I used to hear that some other users (I personally know 1 with Win 98)
have the same problems and the computing centre didn't solve the
problem yet.

Any ideas? Do I need to manually install a Virtual Private Network
Adapter (it doesn't seem to work, either).

Windows 98SE and Cisco VPN Client

Post by shop » Thu, 29 May 2003 06:16:44

Quote:> Hi, I (we?) need some help.
> At our university we're now able to acess the local network and
> internet
> via wireless lan. I still use Win98SE cause the pen drivers for my
> tablet-pc are not available for Win 2000 or XP.
> When I'm connecting to the VPN via the cisco-client, everything works
> fine, I get a connection. But I'm not able to ping the network/server
> and browse the internet.
> Loopback and Network adapter can be pinged. Seems to be a routing
> problem, so nothing leaves the tablet. Gateway isn't set up in TCP/IP
> properties, ipconfig
> shows a local gateway in the same subnet as my network adapter.
> TCP/IP for NIC has DHCP activated and DNS servers are set up by the
> Cisco Client.
> I used to hear that some other users (I personally know 1 with Win 98)
> have the same problems and the computing centre didn't solve the
> problem yet.

> Any ideas?

default for cisco VPN client is to disable split tunnelling.

split tunnelling is where data to known subnets goes via the tunnel, but
other stuff doesnt - and this is probably the only config that makes sense
on a VPN over wireless if it is there to give a secure encrypted overlay -
no device that doesnt use the VPN and have a login /password can use
wireless to get at your network.

Sounds like the VPN client is not getting a default route, but split
tunnelling is disabled. Or if you use a proxy server to get to the internet,
the proxy is not accessible from the VPN subnet. so, the VPN config needs
changing, but that needs to happen via the VPN server config, since this
gets "pushed" to the client as a policy or set of rules at connection setup
time.

Parameters for the VPN usually come from a DHCP server somewhere, so you
need that to point your default route at a useful way out of the VPN.

 Do I need to manually install a Virtual Private Network

Quote:> Adapter (it doesn't seem to work, either).

The policy stuff should override any client tweaks you do (which is why this
method is secure), so no real point.
--
Regards

1. Cisco VPN client v. Windows VPN client

Is it possible to use the windows implementation of PPTP/VPN on the
client end (Mobile laptops) to connect through the VPN to the 1604
router.  I would like to use IPsec, etc, (as opposed to PPP) not sure
if I can do that without purchasing the Cisco client.  (Have already
recommended getting Cisco's client, but just in case...)

Thanks,
Nat

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Woodys World

3. Changing Windows Passwords - VPN with a PIX, Cisco VPN Client and RADIUS Authentication

4. Exception Handling in C++: Does it exist on SGI?

5. Windows 98SE VPN question/problem

6. I found an article in the Internet, is subclass a in ActiveX Control this simple?

7. Cisco VPN Client vs MS VPN Client

8. FS: Western Digital Caviar LITE 170MB 2.5" Hard Drive

9. USB Keys and Cisco VPN Concentrator / Cisco VPN Client ?

10. configuring cisco vpn box and cisco client to allow local traffic as well as vpn traffic

11. Cisco VPN Client to Cisco VPN 3000 problems

12. Cisco VPN Client 3.6 -> Cisco VPN 3005

13. Cisco VPN Client Software V3.0.1(Rel) and Cisco VPN 3000