Router recommendation for PPPoE and /29 subnet

Router recommendation for PPPoE and /29 subnet

Post by Kevin Shoemake » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:05:05

My provider uses PPPoE for authenticating the connection. Everything works
great with private addressing on the LAN side, but I can't get my SMC7004FW
configured properly for the public /29 subnet.

My ISP has configured my account for x.x.x.136/29. The router always gets
x.x.x.137/24. I've tried changing the LAN IP address to x.x.x.137 but I
can't touch the mask on this device. Nor will it allow inbound traffic with
DMZ enabled.

I tried a Linksys as well but didn't have luck there either. Should I be
looking for a router with different features? What features would I need?

Thanks,
Kevin
RN (routing newbie)

Router recommendation for PPPoE and /29 subnet

Post by shop » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:07:44

Quote:> My provider uses PPPoE for authenticating the connection. Everything works
> great with private addressing on the LAN side, but I can't get my
SMC7004FW
> configured properly for the public /29 subnet.

> My ISP has configured my account for x.x.x.136/29. The router always gets
> x.x.x.137/24. I've tried changing the LAN IP address to x.x.x.137 but I
> can't touch the mask on this device. Nor will it allow inbound traffic
with
> DMZ enabled.

> I tried a Linksys as well but didn't have luck there either. Should I be
> looking for a router with different features?

Yes.

What features would I need?

A router supported by your ISP - that way they can give you assistance,
maybe some sample configs.

Quote:

--
Regards

1. Need to setup a router/switch with 29 IP addresses, but can't subnet - HOW?

I have a Cisco 2600 series router and a 3500 series switch.  I want to
configure 2 VLANs and I have 29 distincts IP addresses.  The network is
setup at home with Verizon's FIOS offering.

Normally I would subnet a block of IP addresses and assign them to
individual interfaces.  I don't believe that I can do this with 29 IP
addresses which don't fall on a subnet boundary.

QUESTION:
I want to configure 10 addresses on pcs and plug them into a specific
VLAN and the remainder (19) into another VLAN i.e. IP addresses 1-10
VLAN1 and IP addresses 11-29 VLAN2 and have them communicate?

How would I do this?
Must I assign an IP address to each router interface?
Will arp find the IP addresses for me?

2. Wrong Links Shown in FP Explorer

3. PPPoE FAQ Updates - January 29

4. NJ-Novell administrators needed

5. in-addr for x.x.x.x/29 subnet

6. HELP -- too many sendmail processes

7. X.25/X.29 and TCP/IP on a Cisco router

8. PostalAddresses - Know-how problem...

9. Desperately seeking router for TCP-IP/PPP/X.29/X.25

10. DSL (PPPoE) router recommendation needed...

11. PPPoE with Router vs. PPPoE with WinPoet

12. Routers w/ multiple subnets vs One big subnet w/ switches

13. Making Cisco setting transparent X.3/X.29 profile for outgoing X.25 connections