Help! I Don't Have a Clue

Post by RG » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:48:17

I have a new computer that, when connected to an ethernet network, runs very
very slow (about 20 seconds to transfer a 340K file). All the other
computers are running fine. The computer in question is a new one we built
(one of  two identical, the other is running fine). just for the record the
configuration is:

Soyo KT400 Lite Motherboard
AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU
256 Mb Crucial 333 MHz CL 2.5 RAM
Codegen 450W power supply
Maxtor 40 Gb Harddrive (Primary Master)
Generic CD Drive (Secondary Master)
Generic Floppy
EliteGroup AG315-32MB Video Card (Cheap video card but the same as in the
other computer)
Win2K Pro

It runs slows to any computer in the network.

The MB has a built in NIC which I used when first setting it up. It ran slow
(I thought something was wrong with it or the drivers) so I:

1. Replaced it with a Linksys LNE100TX NIC. The Linksys also ran slow.
2. Replaced the Linksys with an SMC1244TX NIC. Still ran slow.
3. I reinstalled Win2k. Still ran slow with all NICs.
4. I tested the patch cables with a Fluke DSP-2000 cable analyzer, cables
are good.
5. I switched the closet end of the cable to a different port on the switch.
Still ran slow. Rebooted the switch. Still ran slow. Switches are SMC
6724L2.
6. Changed the RAM, still ran slow.
7. Played with various combinations of NIC settings, autosense speed, set to
10TX full and half, 100TX full and half. Still ran slow.
8. Took everything out of the case and set it up using the internal NIC,
still ran slow.
9. Changed the power supply (same brand and model), still ran slow.
10. Changed the Motherboard (same brand and model), still ran slow.
11. Ran a longer patch cable to a different wall jack. Still ran slow.
12. Chopped it up with an axe and threw it in the river (just kidding
there....but I would love to Office Space the damn thing)

I haven't tried a different CPU but surely a CPU couldn't cause this
problem, could it? I also haven't tried a a different video card just
because I don't have one (the MB requires a 1.5 volt agp card and all I have
lying around is 3 volt).

The identical computer mentioned above ran slow using the internal NIC but
when I put in an LNE100TX it ran fine. I didn't get that lucky here).

I have been messing with this thing on and off for 2 days and have run out
of ideas.

Thanks

RG

Help! I Don't Have a Clue

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:38:25

Quote:> I have a new computer that, when connected to an ethernet network, runs
very
> very slow (about 20 seconds to transfer a 340K file). All the other

> Soyo KT400 Lite Motherboard
> AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU
> 256 Mb Crucial 333 MHz CL 2.5 RAM
> Codegen 450W power supply
> Maxtor 40 Gb Harddrive (Primary Master)
> Generic CD Drive (Secondary Master)
> Generic Floppy
> EliteGroup AG315-32MB Video Card (Cheap video card but the same as in the
> other computer)
> Win2K Pro

> I haven't tried a different CPU but surely a CPU couldn't cause this
> problem, could it? I also haven't tried a a different video card just
> because I don't have one (the MB requires a 1.5 volt agp card and all I
have
> lying around is 3 volt).

Are BIOS settings the same for the slow box vs. other(s)?  Look at CPU clock
rate, and memory RAS/CAS in particular.  A defective CPU can cause odd
behaviour, but it usually manifests in more ways than just lan speed.  The
video is an unlikely suspect in this case.

Also, if you have another power supply, give it a try.  Voltage instability
can cause all kinds of odd stuff, as can excessive heat.

JW

Help! I Don't Have a Clue

Post by St » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:01:26

Sounds like a possible negotiation problem to me. How are these
devices connected to each over? A hub or a switch. You may find that
the NIC is running at a spped that the others devices don't like. The
worst you find to have is 100mbs / Half duplex as this can cause a
huge amount collisions on the network.
I'd suggest taking off Auto Detect (usually under Link speed and
Duplex). Try Setting it to 10mb/Half and first and see how that goes,
then work up (10/Full, 100/Full). If it's a 10mb hub / switch, there
is no point trying to run at 100mbs as at best it'll work badly, more
likely it won't work at all.

Good luck

Stu..