AUI? conecntrator?

Post by P. Dut » Sat, 11 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I saw the definition of AUI in the FAQ, but it didn't help me with the
following practical question.  I am considering buying one of those cheap
4/8-port hubs to 'expand' an existing 10BaseT connector.  They mostly
seem to have an AUI 'uplink' port.  Is this something that connects
directly to the existing 10BaseT connector? If not, can it be made to do
so at moderate cost and what hardware is required?

I also found something labelled a concentrator (in the JDR catalog) that
claims to do exactly what I want done.  What are the differences between
a hub and a concentrator?

Many thanks for the help! I will check the newsgroup but CC by e-mail
always appreciated.

AUI? conecntrator?

Post by Ron Pi » Sat, 11 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I saw the definition of AUI in the FAQ, but it didn't help me with the
> following practical question.  I am considering buying one of those cheap
> 4/8-port hubs to 'expand' an existing 10BaseT connector.  They mostly
> seem to have an AUI 'uplink' port.  Is this something that connects
> directly to the existing 10BaseT connector? If not, can it be made to do
> so at moderate cost and what hardware is required?

A hub and a concentrator are the same thing.  You should be able to get a
four port hub under $100 and an eight port under $150.  Some have an uplink
port which you can plug your incoming cable right into.  If there is no
uplink port then you have to get a 10Base-T cable with the pairs reversed.

--
Ron Pike
Network Manager

(916) 898-4006

1. AUI to AUI (router to hub)

Hi,

I was wondering how one would connect a cisco to a ethernet hub using
the AUI port (without using a Transceiver to convert to UTP). Cisco
supplies a cable, but it's male-to-female.

What I need is a cable that goes male-to-male, and the pinouts one would
need to make such a cable.

All the inputs and outputs match, except for the collision detection
inputs which have no matching outputs. Can anyone shed some light for
me?

Regards,
  -Tiaan.
WASP International | GSM vehicle tracking and datacomm solutions
Network manager    | +27-(0)11-622-8686 | http://www.wasp.co.za/~tiaan

2. Tkined

3. AUI or not to AUI

4. ATM for W2k?

5. AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

6. SUMMARY Repost: FFT in C (Best?,Fastest?) Part 1/3: Pointers to Code

7. AUI-AUI CrossOver Cable

8. Settings in CDRWin for Yamaha 400T

9. AUI <--> AUI Connection?

10. AUI to AUI (without Transceiver) how?

11. AUI-to-AUI? How?

12. AUI 2 AUI inverted cable