Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by Jim Louv » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello All!

I have a client with a small ( < 20 hosts ) LAN running 10BT ethernet. They
would like to start using 100TX in addition to the 10BT, but the budget is very
limited. Does anyone make a 100TX hub with a single connection/switch that can
tie into their existing 10BT setup that ISN'T a RonCo
"does-every-bleeding-edge-of-technology-thing, but costs more than the national
deficit" industrial monstrosity? In other words, I'm looking for an
inexpensive, painless and simple way of merging 10BT and 100TX in a small,
uncomplicated, inexpensive small office... 3Com, Synoptics, et al with their
"by the time all's said and done, you're out $50,000 and throwing away
everything you already own" 10 workstation "upgrades" need not apply.

Thanks!

-jL
--
|Fidonet:  Jim Louvau 1:290/4

Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by Dan Do » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

[...]

I don't know if you are really set on 100T, but if you went with the
HP Advancestack 100VG hub, you would spend less than $3500 for 15 VG
ports, an SNMP management module, and 100/10 bridge that would connect
you to the existing 10Base-T network.

PCI adapters (10/100VG) are running around $150.

As your network grows, you can continue to add 100VG hubs into the network
"just like 10Base-T" without those expensive switches your buddies from
the Bay area wish to sell you.

Just an alternative way to solve the problem.

Good luck,

Dan Dove
HP Roseville Networks

Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by Morgan Co » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Hello All!

> I have a client with a small ( < 20 hosts ) LAN running 10BT ethernet. They
> would like to start using 100TX in addition to the 10BT, but the budget
is very
> limited. Does anyone make a 100TX hub with a single connection/switch that can
> tie into their existing 10BT setup that ISN'T a RonCo
> "does-every-bleeding-edge-of-technology-thing, but costs more than the
national
> deficit" industrial monstrosity? In other words, I'm looking for an
> inexpensive, painless and simple way of merging 10BT and 100TX in a small,
> uncomplicated, inexpensive small office... 3Com, Synoptics, et al with their
> "by the time all's said and done, you're out $50,000 and throwing away
> everything you already own" 10 workstation "upgrades" need not apply.

> Thanks!

Asant has some good hardware. You would need a 100BT hub (I have a 12
port hub I would sell it was used in a show to demonstrate 100bT $1400)
The other item you would need to purchase is a Bridge between the two
networks (10BT and 100BT). This Bridge would cost about $1200. And pretty
much any card you need for you 100BT will cost you about $150.00

Good luck!

MDCATC!

Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by Kendrick » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

This may seem overly simplistic but why can't you add another NIC to the
server, one 10BT and the other 100TX (segmenting?) ?Then you wouldn't have
the problems of a switching hub or replacing all at the same time.

=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=--=-

Just a novice.
"Prove me wrong and I'll learn something from it."

Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by jarr.. » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>: I have a client with a small ( < 20 hosts ) LAN running 10BT ethernet. They
>: would like to start using 100TX in addition to the 10BT, but the budget is
>: very
>: limited. Does anyone make a 100TX hub with a single connection/switch that
>: can tie into their existing 10BT setup that ISN'T a RonCo
>: "does-every-bleeding-edge-of-technology-thing, but costs more than the
>: national
>: deficit" industrial monstrosity? In other words, I'm looking for an
>: inexpensive, painless and simple way of merging 10BT and 100TX in a small,
>: uncomplicated, inexpensive small office... 3Com, Synoptics, et al with their
>: "by the time all's said and done, you're out $50,000 and throwing away
>: everything you already own" 10 workstation "upgrades" need not apply.
>I don't know if you are really set on 100T, but if you went with the
>HP Advancestack 100VG hub, you would spend less than $3500 for 15 VG
>ports, an SNMP management module, and 100/10 bridge that would connect
>you to the existing 10Base-T network.

>PCI adapters (10/100VG) are running around $150.

>As your network grows, you can continue to add 100VG hubs into the network
>"just like 10Base-T" without those expensive switches your buddies from
>the Bay area wish to sell you.

>Just an alternative way to solve the problem.

I don't know if it is a good way or only a kludge, but you can use a Netware
with two boards (one for each speed) and a 100BT hub in the 100BT side to
migrate in your pace (it stinks, but may be the cheap way).
I think that to have both speeds in the same box it must be (at least)
a switch, does anyone know another way ?
You can also use a 10BT switch with a 100BT uplink (I suppose that
several vendors have this "combo").
[], <O-O>
PS: The 2 board solutions is really aa dirty one !

Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by Skip Aust » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>: Hello All!
>: I have a client with a small ( < 20 hosts ) LAN running 10BT ethernet. They
>: would like to start using 100TX in addition to the 10BT, but the budget is
>: very
>: limited. Does anyone make a 100TX hub with a single connection/switch that
>: can tie into their existing 10BT setup that ISN'T a RonCo
>: "does-every-bleeding-edge-of-technology-thing, but costs more than the
>: national
>: deficit" industrial monstrosity? In other words, I'm looking for an
>: inexpensive, painless and simple way of merging 10BT and 100TX in a small,
>: uncomplicated, inexpensive small office... 3Com, Synoptics, et al with their
>: "by the time all's said and done, you're out $50,000 and throwing away
>: everything you already own" 10 workstation "upgrades" need not apply.
>: Thanks!
>I don't know if you are really set on 100T, but if you went with the
>HP Advancestack 100VG hub, you would spend less than $3500 for 15 VG
>ports, an SNMP management module, and 100/10 bridge that would connect
>you to the existing 10Base-T network.
>PCI adapters (10/100VG) are running around $150.
>As your network grows, you can continue to add 100VG hubs into the network
>"just like 10Base-T" without those expensive switches your buddies from
>the Bay area wish to sell you.
>Just an alternative way to solve the problem.
>Good luck,
>Dan Dove
>HP Roseville Networks

You might also look into a switching hub like Allied Telesyn's 24 port
ethernet switch.  There are cabling issues with 100b whatever and if
you do not have 4 pairs to use, or if you are not running PCI bus
hosts, 100 base anything is not likely a good solution.  Cisco makes a
ethernet switch that got rave reviews in Data Communications magazine
also.  We currently use the Catalyst 1200 series to segment buildings,
connect X-term labs ,  provide excellent throughput for Novell
servers, and provide layer 3 segmentation and filtering capabilities.

Speaking with several reps from Cisco, 3Com, Allied Telesyn, Bay,
Cabletron.... all seem to agree that you will get better performance
from a properly configured switched 10 MB ethernet environment than
you would from a shared 100 MB environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Skip Austin
Networking Services
San Diego State University

Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by craig jone » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> >: Hello All!

> >: I have a client with a small ( < 20 hosts ) LAN running 10BT ethernet. They
> >: would like to start using 100TX in addition to the 10BT, but the budget is
> >: very
> >: limited. Does anyone make a 100TX hub with a single connection/switch that
> >: can tie into their existing 10BT setup that ISN'T a RonCo
> >: "does-every-bleeding-edge-of-technology-thing, but costs more than the
> >: national
> >: deficit" industrial monstrosity? In other words, I'm looking for an
> >: inexpensive, painless and simple way of merging 10BT and 100TX in a small,
> >: uncomplicated, inexpensive small office... 3Com, Synoptics, et al with their
> >: "by the time all's said and done, you're out $50,000 and throwing away
> >: everything you already own" 10 workstation "upgrades" need not apply.

> >: Thanks!

> >I don't know if you are really set on 100T, but if you went with the
> >HP Advancestack 100VG hub, you would spend less than $3500 for 15 VG
> >ports, an SNMP management module, and 100/10 bridge that would connect
> >you to the existing 10Base-T network.

> >PCI adapters (10/100VG) are running around $150.

> >As your network grows, you can continue to add 100VG hubs into the network
> >"just like 10Base-T" without those expensive switches your buddies from
> >the Bay area wish to sell you.

> >Just an alternative way to solve the problem.

> >Good luck,

> >Dan Dove
> >HP Roseville Networks

> You might also look into a switching hub like Allied Telesyn's 24 port
> ethernet switch.  There are cabling issues with 100b whatever and if
> you do not have 4 pairs to use, or if you are not running PCI bus
> hosts, 100 base anything is not likely a good solution.  Cisco makes a
> ethernet switch that got rave reviews in Data Communications magazine
> also.  We currently use the Catalyst 1200 series to segment buildings,
> connect X-term labs ,  provide excellent throughput for Novell
> servers, and provide layer 3 segmentation and filtering capabilities.

> Speaking with several reps from Cisco, 3Com, Allied Telesyn, Bay,
> Cabletron.... all seem to agree that you will get better performance
> from a properly configured switched 10 MB ethernet environment than
> you would from a shared 100 MB environment.

> Just my 2 cents.

> Skip Austin
> Networking Services
> San Diego State University

Try the Farallon FastStarlet with the 10/100 Bridge option.  For around
$2K it provides 8 100-BaseTX ports and a bridge to either 10-BaseT or AUI.
You can also get a 4 port 10-BaseT switch with a 100-BaseTX uplink for
around $1500, but you have to add a hub to that.  I've seen 8 port hubs
for < $1000.  D-Link sells such a switch, and I think Asante does, too.
There is also a available a 10/100 bridge from Accton that's a little cheaper
($1100).  The Farallon is the cheapest and it is one box instead of two.
I have had the Farallon for about a week and it looks good so far.

Glue for 10BaseT <-> 100TX?

Post by Tom Grah » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Speaking with several reps from Cisco, 3Com, Allied Telesyn, Bay,
>Cabletron.... all seem to agree that you will get better performance
>from a properly configured switched 10 MB ethernet environment than
>you would from a shared 100 MB environment.

OK, I'll buy that.  I'm trying to come up with a couple "rules of thumb"
to apply.  Physical topology/segmentation would seem to be a major
clue.  Is this close???
Regards - Tom

--
Tom Graham                               Unocal Corporate Information Services
Phone: (714)693-5808                     5460 E. La Palma Ave.

1. >>>>>>>A Conspiracy?<<<<<<<

I have suspected some noise problems on my line as well, but without
any hard evidence as of yet; I have, simply, not exhausted every
effort to do so at this time.  However, in my endeavor to find some
valid answers to my particular modem problems, I have been given some
very thought provoking responses by other folks online and various
modem manufacturers.  Most of today's modems have been designed to
work on "voice" grade phone lines.  Yet, when you call the phone
companies about the expected quality of your phone line, they simply
say that, they guarantee that you will be able to clearly talk and
listen on your residental phone lines.  Now, if modem manufacturers
are designing their modems to operate to "voice" grade phone line
specifications, as I'm sure they are, why does the phone company offer
this vague description of residential phone line quality?  Somebody is
not telling the whole truth here!  I theorize that the phone companies
have gotten away with providing substandard phone line quality for
some time now and until the advent of high speed modems these
deficiency have gone unchecked by the average customer.  What I find
even more outragous is that, the phone companies are more than happy
to tell and sell their customers expensive possible solutions to their
current phone line problems.  Am I missing something here?  "It is
possible that you (the phone company) are not giving me the level of
service I am ALREADY paying for."

If any other readers out there feel the way I do, then, please, write
me or post something to support or even discredit these hypothoses.
A lot of us are trying to work at home now-a-days and can't afford to
be jerked around any longer, if, infact, we are.  If this is a real
problem, it needs to be fixed not ignored.

Note:  These are my stong personal beliefs and, as of yet, are not
       proven fact...that's the nature of hypothesis and without it
       we would be still be hudled in caves fearing shadows.

2. SQL Table Create with columns 4k size

3. >>>>>>New Breakthrough!<<<<<<<<

4. licensing question

5. <<<>>> INFORMATION ABOUT SPORTSTER LOCKUPS <<<>>>

6. Please Help!!

7. <<<<<<<< Lan Guru's Please Help >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

8. FS SUN Sparc 5's and SUN Sparc 20

10. <<<<<<<<<<<HELP>>>>>>>>>> Is there a place I can find a ...

11. >>>>>an important question<<<<<<

12. (PBX)-pots<->vic-fxo-(cisco2600)-10baseT<->10baseT-(cisco ata-186)-FXS-pots?

13. >>>>> ATLAS Peripherals <<<<<