Ethernet Protocol Analyzers

Post by Stuart Robins » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:35:00

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (free is better !) protocol
analyzer for ethernet ?

I used to use Novells Lanalyzer, but that needs Windows 3.11\95\98 to run
and my old notebook just cant keep up with a 100MBs LAN, it misses
packets.

Lanalyzer would display short and long term stats such as utilisation,
packets second, Kbytes second, a table showing packets to\from each MAC
address, allow filtering to capture lists and run IPX decodes (important
for me since I mainly work on Novell LANs)

I have Ethereal, which given the price (free!) does a reasonable job, but
does not monitor real time LAN performance.

Any suggestions ?

Stuart.

Post by Robert Redelmeie » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:27:59

> I have Ethereal, which given the price (free!) does a reasonable job,
> but does not monitor real time LAN performance.

I use `tcpdump` under Linux.

-- Robert

Ethernet Protocol Analyzers

Post by Stuart Robins » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:33:00

Quote:> I use `tcpdump` under Linux.

Perhaps I should have said, I need it to run under Windows.

Stuart.

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:48:09

> Perhaps I should have said, I need it to run under Windows.

If you are more interested in what and how much is happening on your LAN
than in in-depth protocol analysis, you might want to look at NTOP
(http://www.ntop.org).

                Regards,

                        Marco.

Ethernet Protocol Analyzers

Post by Stuart Robins » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 03:42:00

Quote:> If you are more interested in what and how much is happening on your
> LAN than in in-depth protocol analysis, you might want to look at NTOP

Yep, that is more often the requirement.

I would download a Windows version to try, but cant navigate my way around
the web site(s) to find a link to a downloadable file.

Stuart.

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 03:58:00

> I would download a Windows version to try, but cant navigate my way
> around the web site(s) to find a link to a downloadable file.

http://www.ntop.org/download.html.

It has (at the end) a downloadable demo snapshot
(http://luca.ntop.org/ntop-2.2a-demo.exe) and a link to info how to
register it if you want the full version (http://www.ntop.org/support.html).

                Regards,

                        Marco.

Ethernet Protocol Analyzers

Post by Stuart Robins » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 05:51:00

Quote:> It has (at the end) a downloadable demo snapshot
> (http://luca.ntop.org/ntop-2.2a-demo.exe) and a link to info how to
> register it if you want the full version
> (http://www.ntop.org/support.html).

Ah, IC, found it now.

Looks useful, very useful.

Stuart.

Ethernet Protocol Analyzers

Post by Keith Dieh » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:40:45

Not free, but they have a free evaluation copy:

http://www.tamos.com/products/commview/

In comp.dcom.lans.ethernet, message

>Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (free is better !) protocol
>analyzer for ethernet ?

>I used to use Novells Lanalyzer, but that needs Windows 3.11\95\98 to run
>and my old notebook just cant keep up with a 100MBs LAN, it misses
>packets.

>Lanalyzer would display short and long term stats such as utilisation,
>packets second, Kbytes second, a table showing packets to\from each MAC
>address, allow filtering to capture lists and run IPX decodes (important
>for me since I mainly work on Novell LANs)

>I have Ethereal, which given the price (free!) does a reasonable job, but
>does not monitor real time LAN performance.

>Any suggestions ?

>Stuart.

Keith Diehl - Salt Lake City
spam free email form at http://www.xmission.com/~kdiehl/mail.html

Ethernet Protocol Analyzers

Post by Stuart Robins » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:09:00

I have given it a try, it has quite a few useful facilities.

I dont object to buying software, but several years ago I paid circa
$1,200 for Novells LANalyzer software, there was little else around in
software based monitoring. I now in effect cant use it since Novell have
never upgraded it to run under Windows 2000\XP. So I am rather reluctant
to spend so much again.

CommView seems to most of what I want and is relatively cheap ($129). The
only thing missing is the ability to directly print graphs, for both short
and long term statistics. You can setup reports and save the info to a CSV
file, but a direct print of graphs would be more useful.

 Stuart.

1. Ethernet protocol analyzer

Hi, everybody.....

I am looking for rich protocol analyzer for Ethernet....

The analyzer should have a low-level functions
such as

- packet collision rate
- traffic type
- frame length statistics
- error rate
- octect-level observation
- resolution less than 1 ms

Does anybody know an analyzer which has the finctions above?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. ERROR 0028:c001545A in VXD...

3. Public Domain/Shareware ETHERNET Protocol Analyzers

4. Unusual Psiwin problem - Help! Help!

5. Ethernet protocol analyzer?

6. 3 new Pocket PC phones at CeBIT 2003!

7. Looking for protocol-analyser for Fast-Ethernet

8. SIDF

9. Protocol Analyzers

10. what is the best protocol analyzer ?

11. wan protocol analyzer howto?

12. Protocol analyzer