Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by amit d » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:44:00

aahhh! Assinging the DNS server settings in XP to my routers ip
address did the trick. I guess thats why very few home routers have an
option to assign computers to a static routing table in DHCP.

amit

> > Ok. as I try to change my xp tcp/ip conf. from obtain auto. to fixed
> > ip, XP asks for a DNS server, it seems mandatory. after restart the
> > router now finds my fixed ip computer but the computer cannot connect
> > to the internet due to lack of dns settings. Does this mean I have to
> > set the DNS on each computer. Suppose my cable provider changes dns
> > servers on me.. does this mean I have to change each computers tcp/ip
> > settings... this is what I do not want to do!

> This is dependent on the router capabilities.  I have an Addtron (no longer
> in business) which can serve as a DNS proxy for the lan.  With it, you
> simply point DNS on the client machines to the router IP (same address as
> the gateway).  If the requested data is not found, the router proxy fetches
> the info and caches it.

> JW

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by Darwei Kun » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:39:26

D-Link DI-713P Wireless Access Point / Router also supports MAC based DHCP
assignment.

By the way for those who suggest static IP address as a solution, consider
the case where a laptop needs to be used at different locations, and must
have different IP addresses.  And the location authanticate a computer by a
specific MAC address.

dk.

Quote:> I am running XP, currently have a networkeverywhere(linksys) router.
> The problem is that when power is lost to the router all the DHCP
> clients are assigned different ips from before the loss of power. I am
> guessing the first computer it sees is the one it gives the first ip
> to.. and so on.

> This causes a problem because I have port forwarding enabled and when
> the router restarts after power loss there is no gaurantee the same
> lan computer will get the same DHCP ip.

> Is there a home router that will allow me to specify a DHCP address to
> a MAC address this way the lan computer will always get the predefined
> DHCP ip?

> Amit

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by Glen Herrmannsfeld » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:44:51

Quote:> D-Link DI-713P Wireless Access Point / Router also supports MAC based DHCP
> assignment.

> By the way for those who suggest static IP address as a solution, consider
> the case where a laptop needs to be used at different locations, and must
> have different IP addresses.  And the location authanticate a computer by
> specific MAC address.

Well, BOOTP which came before DHCP was designed to do that.

If you set a long, or infinite, lease time some DHCP servers will reassign
the same address.  But then some won't.

-- glen

Post by James Knot » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:53:45

> By the way for those who suggest static IP address as a solution, consider
> the case where a laptop needs to be used at different locations, and must
> have different IP addresses.  And the location authanticate a computer by
> a specific MAC address.

If you're running Windows 2000 or XP, you can configure it to try dhcp
first, then default to a static IP.  With Linux & OS/2, you can start up in
static, then switch to dhcp.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by James Knot » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:54:56

> If you set a long, or infinite, lease time some DHCP servers will reassign
> the same address.  But then some won't.

Lease time has nothing to do with retaining the same address.  The normal
practice is to renew the same IP, as long as possible.  Some ISPs don't.

--

Post by nobod » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:27:10

> > D-Link DI-713P Wireless Access Point / Router also supports MAC based DHCP
> > assignment.

> > By the way for those who suggest static IP address as a solution, consider
> > the case where a laptop needs to be used at different locations, and must
> > have different IP addresses.  And the location authanticate a computer by
> > a specific MAC address.

> Well, BOOTP which came before DHCP was designed to do that.

> If you set a long, or infinite, lease time some DHCP servers will reassign
> the same address.  But then some won't.

Many DHCP servers, including Microsoft's, can be configured to honor
BOOTP requests (see, for example, Microsoft's documentation at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q174/7/65.ASP).

nobody

Post by Glen Herrmannsfeld » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:04:04

> > If you set a long, or infinite, lease time some DHCP servers will
reassign
> > the same address.  But then some won't.

> Lease time has nothing to do with retaining the same address.  The normal
> practice is to renew the same IP, as long as possible.  Some ISPs don't.

I was assuming that he was running a DHCP server, so ISP isn't a question.

Lease time is the only parameter that most DHCP servers have.   I believe
that some will reassign the same IP address if a machine shuts down (and
releases the address) when it starts up, and some won't.

-- glen