Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by amit d » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:17:10

I am running XP, currently have a networkeverywhere(linksys) router.
The problem is that when power is lost to the router all the DHCP
clients are assigned different ips from before the loss of power. I am
guessing the first computer it sees is the one it gives the first ip
to.. and so on.

This causes a problem because I have port forwarding enabled and when
the router restarts after power loss there is no gaurantee the same
lan computer will get the same DHCP ip.

Is there a home router that will allow me to specify a DHCP address to
a MAC address this way the lan computer will always get the predefined
DHCP ip?

Amit

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by Stuart Robins » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:17:00

This is really a tcp\ip question, there are better forums where you can
ask questions on this.

However, why dont you just assign the IP address, gateway and DNS on each
PC manually.

Stuart.

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by ec » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:54:22

Netgear FR114P can do it.

Quote:> I am running XP, currently have a networkeverywhere(linksys) router.

Post by James Knot » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:34:30

> I am running XP, currently have a networkeverywhere(linksys) router.
> The problem is that when power is lost to the router all the DHCP
> clients are assigned different ips from before the loss of power. I am
> guessing the first computer it sees is the one it gives the first ip
> to.. and so on.

> This causes a problem because I have port forwarding enabled and when
> the router restarts after power loss there is no gaurantee the same
> lan computer will get the same DHCP ip.

> Is there a home router that will allow me to specify a DHCP address to
> a MAC address this way the lan computer will always get the predefined
> DHCP ip?

> Amit

Is there any reason, why you don't just assign static addresses to those
computers?  Select addresses outside of the range used by the dhcp server.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by Tom Schmid » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:43:32

Quote:> I am running XP, currently have a networkeverywhere(linksys) router.
> The problem is that when power is lost to the router all the DHCP
> clients are assigned different ips from before the loss of power. I am
> guessing the first computer it sees is the one it gives the first ip
> to.. and so on.

> This causes a problem because I have port forwarding enabled and when
> the router restarts after power loss there is no gaurantee the same
> lan computer will get the same DHCP ip.

> Is there a home router that will allow me to specify a DHCP address to
> a MAC address this way the lan computer will always get the predefined
> DHCP ip?

> Amit

I use a Multitech RouteFinder NAT broadband router. It allows binding MAC
address to IP. I find the feature very convenient, especially for devices
that do not have built in user interface such as print server.

/Tom

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by amit d » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:44:10

I forgot to mention that I get a dynmically allocated
ip address from my cable provider... so is it still possible to
statically assign my lan pcs even when the main ip address, and dns
keep changing? I was told to
keep all my windows tcp/ip settings to "obtain
automatically"

amit

Post by James Knot » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 04:17:19

> I forgot to mention that I get a dynmically allocated
> ip address from my cable provider... so is it still possible to
> statically assign my lan pcs even when the main ip address, and dns
> keep changing? I was told to
> keep all my windows tcp/ip settings to "obtain
> automatically"

Yes.  The addresses on your local lan have absolutely nothing to do with
your IP as assigned by the cable company.  I built my own firewall/router,
using Linux and an old PC.  The cable side is dhcp, but my home network is
completely static.  I've also got it set up, so that it will e-mail me,
whenever my ip changes.

--

Post by VPN Rule » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:41:50

soho routefinder from Multi-Tech can do this.  http://www.multitech.com

Quote:> I am running XP, currently have a networkeverywhere(linksys) router.
> The problem is that when power is lost to the router all the DHCP
> clients are assigned different ips from before the loss of power. I am
> guessing the first computer it sees is the one it gives the first ip
> to.. and so on.

> This causes a problem because I have port forwarding enabled and when
> the router restarts after power loss there is no gaurantee the same
> lan computer will get the same DHCP ip.

> Is there a home router that will allow me to specify a DHCP address to
> a MAC address this way the lan computer will always get the predefined
> DHCP ip?

> Amit

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by Boyd Willisto » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:21:29

Quote:> I forgot to mention that I get a dynmically allocated
> ip address from my cable provider... so is it still possible to
> statically assign my lan pcs even when the main ip address, and dns
> keep changing? I was told to
> keep all my windows tcp/ip settings to "obtain
> automatically"

> amit

<snip>

You were told that by a cable provider who was assuming that you had a
computer connected directly to the modem -- or a tech who doesn't know
very much about how a LAN works. The WAN side of you router has to be set
up to get an IP from the cable system (sounds like it is). You can set up
the LAN side however you want. So yes, you can assign static local IP's to
your computers.

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by amit d » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:13:01

Ok. as I try to change my xp tcp/ip conf. from obtain auto. to fixed
ip, XP asks for a DNS server, it seems mandatory. after restart the
router now finds my fixed ip computer but the computer cannot connect
to the internet due to lack of dns settings. Does this mean I have to
set the DNS on each computer. Suppose my cable provider changes dns
servers on me.. does this mean I have to change each computers tcp/ip
settings... this is what I do not want to do!

amit

Post by Warre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:25:32

> Ok. as I try to change my xp tcp/ip conf. from obtain auto. to fixed
> ip, XP asks for a DNS server, it seems mandatory. after restart the
> router now finds my fixed ip computer but the computer cannot connect
> to the internet due to lack of dns settings. Does this mean I have to
> set the DNS on each computer. Suppose my cable provider changes dns
> servers on me.. does this mean I have to change each computers tcp/ip
> settings... this is what I do not want to do!

Set your primary DNS server to the router's IP address.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Webhosting: 500MB Space, 30G Transfer, 7.95/mo.
http://www.holzemville.com/refer/

Post by James Knot » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:07:29

> Suppose my cable provider changes dns
> servers on me.. does this mean I have to change each computers tcp/ip
> settings... this is what I do not want to do!

It's unlikely that will happen very often.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Why not use static ip's at the pc level?

:
: This causes a problem because I have port forwarding enabled and when
: the router restarts after power loss there is no gaurantee the same
: lan computer will get the same DHCP ip.
:
: Is there a home router that will allow me to specify a DHCP address to
: a MAC address this way the lan computer will always get the predefined
: DHCP ip?
:
: Amit

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by Jim Orfanako » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:09:36

use the the router addresses (normally 192.168.1.1 for both the gateway and
the dns server)

: Ok. as I try to change my xp tcp/ip conf. from obtain auto. to fixed
: ip, XP asks for a DNS server, it seems mandatory. after restart the
: router now finds my fixed ip computer but the computer cannot connect
: to the internet due to lack of dns settings. Does this mean I have to
: set the DNS on each computer. Suppose my cable provider changes dns
: servers on me.. does this mean I have to change each computers tcp/ip
: settings... this is what I do not want to do!
:
: amit
:

: >
: > > I forgot to mention that I get a dynmically allocated
: > > ip address from my cable provider... so is it still possible to
: > > statically assign my lan pcs even when the main ip address, and dns
: > > keep changing? I was told to
: > > keep all my windows tcp/ip settings to "obtain
: > > automatically"
: > >
: >
: > Yes.  The addresses on your local lan have absolutely nothing to do with
: > your IP as assigned by the cable company.  I built my own
firewall/router,
: > using Linux and an old PC.  The cable side is dhcp, but my home network
is
: > completely static.  I've also got it set up, so that it will e-mail me,
: > whenever my ip changes.

Any routers that allow mapping of MAC to DHCP

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:47:55

Quote:> Ok. as I try to change my xp tcp/ip conf. from obtain auto. to fixed
> ip, XP asks for a DNS server, it seems mandatory. after restart the
> router now finds my fixed ip computer but the computer cannot connect
> to the internet due to lack of dns settings. Does this mean I have to
> set the DNS on each computer. Suppose my cable provider changes dns
> servers on me.. does this mean I have to change each computers tcp/ip
> settings... this is what I do not want to do!

This is dependent on the router capabilities.  I have an Addtron (no longer
in business) which can serve as a DNS proxy for the lan.  With it, you
simply point DNS on the client machines to the router IP (same address as
the gateway).  If the requested data is not found, the router proxy fetches
the info and caches it.

JW